Anyone else like the ISU early schedule?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by CyCloned, Nov 13, 2006.

1. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    I like the fact that the Clones played 3 games in three days and then have a week off to work on problems. (It also helps that none of these teams was real good, confidence is needed early) This is great for a very new team. I won't say young, because evey though there are some freshman playing, there are also several juniors out there. All these player look very athletic and unselfish, but really need to get use to each other.

Three games that close together means lots of mistakes and G-mac has plenty of things to talk about this week in practice.

2. JokersWild

JokersWild Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I was just happy to see 3 wins. Woo hoo! I fully expected we might drop 1 or 2 of those.

3. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    It does set us up nicely, because I am sure that GMac will have us improving quite a bit as he implements his system and molds the new guys.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy CF Founder
    Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Male
    IT Manager
    Waukee, IA
    I really like the easier schedule we have this year in the pre-season. At first I was a little disappointed because we all like the "named" schools but it ends up working out good for everybody. We end up with a better record witch makes us look better nationally and for future schedules, but we also get a lot of experience in all types of situations. The players will grow, the fans will get accustomed to the new style, and we'll look good all around.

5. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    We play AT Minnesota pretty soon. I like that. Big Ten team that is beatable and not far away. Should be a good matchup.

6. Drew21

Drew21 Member

May 13, 2006
    I like that it gets Jiris suspension out of way painlessly

7. Drews79

Drews79 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I like the early schedule as well. Although, I am looking forward to what our defense can do against some high caliber teams with good scorers. I think we will really shut some people down this year. We may not win a bunch of games but we definitely won't go down without a fight.

8. Johnny8

Johnny8 Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Ames, IA
    I also liked the fact that we played three games in a row. The thing I like most about our team so far this year is the fact that we have won the close games. That was one thing we had trouble with last year. We had the offense to score when we needed to, but could NEVER keep the other team from scoring on the defensive end when we really needed to. With this team, I would rather have us up by 1 and on the defensive end for the last 10 seconds than down by 1 and on the offensive end for the last 10 seconds. I'm excited to see everybody improve, and see what they can do with this year.

9. Cyclone_Power

Cyclone_Power Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Normally I wouldn't be too thrilled with our early schedule, but I agree with the others here. With the team that we've got and GMac coming in, I think it's a good way to gel and play as a team.

10. BenEClone

BenEClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    I think I heard GMac comment that he'd rather have had more time between these early games for pedagogy purposes. But, he got a good look at his team - I'm sure there is a lot of teaching going on this week.

11. CTAClone

CTAClone Addict

Mar 28, 2006
    First Assistant Director
    Amerika
    I also like the early schedule. That's what Eustachy had in his first season. I remember him stating that it got the team used to winning which helped in Big XII play. A strategy I agree with, when you have a big ? mark about the quality of your team.

12. frontrangeclone

frontrangeclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    water+rocks+computers
    5,521 ft above sea level
    ISU does play at Ohio State correct? OUCH! I saw footage of their freak freshman on ESPN last night when Steven Smith was talking to Fran Fraschilla (sp?) and dear god it should almost be illegal to have such size and talent at his age!

Who knows, maybe ISU can rise to the challenge and then beat both MN and Iowa to sweep the Big 11.

13. Cyclone_Power

Cyclone_Power Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Yeah and Ohio State is that good without Oden playing...thats scary. I still think it was not wise to schedule a home and home with tOSU when our 'home' game is actually in DSM.

14. MidwestZest

MidwestZest Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Decatur, IL

we stayed in that game for a looonnnng time last year though. I think it's gonna be a good trip for our green team to go over there and play them though. They're gonna learn real fast what the big-time game atmosphere is like, before they start conference play. with mcd at the helm, i can't help but view a game like this against a national powerhouse as an amazing learning/teaching opportunity....as corny as that may sound...

15. Kramer

Kramer Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Anytown, USA
    The coaching staff now has 3 games worth of tendancies to examine. Granted...those teams weren't great but they did expose some weaknesses that I'm sure GMac and his staff are working on. If he can get MT under control, he can be a solid Big XII player. Thank heavens that GMac is coaching him and not WM. Our post play will not be great or maybe even good but the game begins and ends with the guards.

16. dno96

dno96 Member

Apr 17, 2006
    ankeny, iowa
    I like the fact that the schedule has a few tough teams on the road. I really wonder what our team will be like when it gets out of hilton and plays a strong team on the road. If we can win at Minnesota or at Iowa or at Ohio State, that will prove to me that this team has the potential to really upset some teams this year.

17. CYKO TY

CYKO TY Member

Nov 13, 2006
    CICC Manager
    West Des Moines
    The good news is now we are only 17 wins from the tourney