Anyone else having problems with hotmail?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cyclonepride, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I haven't been able to check my email for over an hour. Since I do a ton of communication by email, it's killing my work day.

2. cjb1978

cjb1978 Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Project Manager
    Des Moines, IA

Switch to gmail, you will thank me later.

As for the hotmail, it is working fine for me. You trying to access it via web or mobile?

3. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010

You should ask for a refund credit on your next bill.

4. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

I got it. Not sure what the deal was, but I cleared my browser cache, and it came right up.

5. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    People still use hotmail? Is it still 1998?

6. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    If youre using it for business, sign up for google apps and get your own domain. Its like $10 a year for the domain, and you get the ability to set up google accounts through that domain, including gmail and almost everything else google offers.

Google Apps helps groups build communities – Google Apps

7. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

The reason I am still using this email account is mainly longevity. Everyone I know, both personally and professionally, uses it to contact me. Is there a way to roll over those emails to my new account, or do I have to contact everyone under the sun with my new email address?

I have a separate email address for work, but it's linked to my hotmail account so that I only have to check one.

I do have a gmail account that I never uses except when I want to sign into google analytics.

8. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Gmail is great. You can have all your Hotmail emails be fetched by Gmail. I have three separate email accounts that all dump into my Gmail, and have them color-coded and labeled to tell them all apart (Work, school, etc.)

9. jsmith86

jsmith86 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cedar Rapids
    Just have your hotmail forward to gmail. You can also set up gmail to send messages 'from' your hotmail email address using gmail. Its really nice to be able to switch between sending email from work, school, and personal email addresses without changing your email client.

10. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yep...I do this, too. Forgot to mention that. Great feature.

11. jsmith86

jsmith86 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cedar Rapids
    Although, it gets interesting sometimes when I forget to change what email I send stuff from and my prof wonders who it is that sent the email.

12. Ames

Ames Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Gmail for the win.

13. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    I make that same mistake. I wish they would fix this somehow, remembering who you email from which account, and making that the default.

14. Ames

Ames Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Gmail has an option to handle that. In the Setting on the Accounts tab select this:

Reply from the same address the message was sent to

After you have forwarding setup you just need to add the account as a sender. Do that in the Accounts tab also. Then the option should appear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Damn, thanks for that tip. Can't believe I missed that.

16. 247cy

247cy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Spring Hill, KS
    You sure you're using m-a-i-l instead of m-a-l-e?

17. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

Strange........I can get into hotmail at both work and home by clearing my browser cache, and then going to hotmail and signing in. Once I'm already signed in, and leave, I have to do it over again to get back in.

18. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

Figured it out (I know you were all dying with anticipation)... evidently, the address changed somehow, so my bookmark didn't match up. Not sure if the exact address changes every once in a while or what, but it's working fine now.