Any car mechanics out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cyclonestate, Feb 16, 2014.

1. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Cyclonefanatics are the source of all knowledge, so I'm hoping there might be car expert among you all who can help me with a car problem.

I have a 2000 Honda Accord with a regular knocking sound in the back that speeds up as the car goes faster. As soon as press down on the brake (even very lightly) the knocking sound disappears, and then it immediately comes back the second I take my foot off the brake. Anyone have a diagnosis?

2. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    That hooker in the trunk might have something to do with it.:shocked:

3. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Just turn the radio up

4. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Drive shaft? Sounds familiar when mine went out in my car

5. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    The Telltale Brakes?

6. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    You could just constantly ride your brakes...

7. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    #7 Die4Cy, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Accord is FWD. Said it was coming from the back. I'm guessing wheel bearing.

8. iahawkhunter

iahawkhunter Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;m4jPQw5nSIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4jPQw5nSIY&noredirect=1[/video]

9. Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    Not a driveshaft on a front wheel drive vehicle...unless you're missing the ...:jimlad:

Obviously something to do with the brakes most likely. Does it have drum brakes or disc?

10. Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    and can you further explain the knocking sound? Usually when the pads are about gone on a disc brake you will hear squealing or grinding when pads are gone, but knocking would tell me the car has drum brakes and one of the tension springs came off. Need more information

11. cloneluke80

cloneluke80 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    West Des Moines, IA
    i had this on an 03 honda element, turned out one of the back brake pads separated from the pad plate. pull off the wheel and u might be able to see without pulling off the caliper. Other guess is rattling exhaust or bearing

fyi , i work on software/computers, not cars for a living

12. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Clear all the ice from around the wheel well if you haven't. Mine was causing something that sounded like this.

13. hub bearing assembly or drum brake (assuming it is a drum)

best to get that looked at. your wheel (rim and tire) can and will fall off if you don't take care of it. (ask me how I know)

14. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Accord was available with drum brakes in 2000. Now that I think about it that sounds most likely.

15. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    The knocking sounds like someone knocking on the door. It speeds up and slows down as the car speeds up and slows down. But it continues whether or not I press on the accelerator. As soon as I press on the brake pedal, even very lightly, it stops and then it starts again as soon as I take my foot off the brake.

The rear brakes are disc, not drum, but I'm thinking it has to be something associated with the brakes.

16. terryleebr

terryleebr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Car Talk

call in. Always worth a laugh. Tell them you are an Art History major.

17. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    My money is on a wheel bearing. I have a 2000 accord that had almost this exact same issue 3 years ago.

18. CYme

CYme Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Pella, IA
    COULD be the brakes, rear pads are pretty cheap and one of the easiest self maintenance items you can do (also fairly cheap to have a shop do). However, it could be a rear wheel bearing and when you apply a load to the rear hub through the brakes, the clearance between the bearing and spindle is taken up and it quits knocking.

Dad had this on the front of his pickup. I told him to stop driving until I could look at it, he didn't listen and it finally seized. I spent an afternoon with a torch getting that thing out, then had to clean the bore up and put a new bearing in. Would have cost quite a bit at a shop to do that instead of replacing a $20 wheel bearing with an hour of labor.

Also, as Rab said, snow and ice impacted inside your rim are hell on cars, so a car wash might be in order.

19. Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    OK, it is a disc brake..... Have you checked to see if the parking brake is partially engaged. The parking brake is a drum type brake on the inside of the rotor so it could be something with them but most likely not. Check that first.

I would next jack up one of the rear tires and spin the tire by hand and see if you can get the noise to repeat. Make sure the lug nuts are tight on both the back tires. Try to see if there is any play in the wheel by grabbing the tire and trying to shake it to see if there is any play.

report back....

20. Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    It could be a wheel bearing but most of the time with wheal bearings it will not be a knocking sound but a whining sound that gets louder and more intense the faster you go and braking wouldn't affect the sound unless you are really pushing on the pedal. Jacking the tire up up and checking for play will give you more info on that.

Also when you are spinning the tire see if you can sense anything other than smooth turning of the wheel.