Another bus/pedestrian accident downtown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dmclone, Jul 27, 2009.

1. NobodyBeatsCy

NobodyBeatsCy Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Sales
    Clive, IA
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Maybe they should just attach sticky nerf bumpers to the buses, and peel the people off at the next stop.

3. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    As many accidents that have happened I don't care if people want to blame the pedestrians still but its obvious the DART drivers need to slow down and be more alert because 7 in 2 years now is just rediculous.

4. CyPride

CyPride Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
  5. tim_redd

tim_redd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ankeny
    monorail

6. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

High speed rail line in place of metro buses? Do they just haul *** for thirty seconds until the next stop?

7. dosry5

dosry5 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Johnston
    derail

8. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    How come CyRide doesn't have these problems with all the pedestrian traffic they have to deal with? I'm thinking maybe DART folks need to look into how CyRide does things and see where they could improve.

9. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

I will say that Ames doesn't quite have the cluster**** downtown that Des Moines does.

10. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    We need a mono rail because mono means one and rail means rail.

• Like Like x 2
  11. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ever tried to drive through central campus during passing times in the middle of a weekday? It's a zoo.

12. NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
    Sales
    Clive, IA
    I hear it worked well in North Haverbrook! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyclonepride

Staff Member

Thanks for clarifying for our Iowa City visitors. I am sure they were wondering what rails had to do with the disease they got from their girlfriends.

14. richey24

richey24 Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    IT
    Ames
    Is there a chance the track could bend?

15. NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
    Sales
    Clive, IA

Not on your life, my Hindu friend

16. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Cy-Ride is a driver's picnic. It's a different world in downtown DM - I see pedestrians all the time stepping out in the street even when they don't have the right of way, looking down, talking on the cell, assuming the DART bus will stop.
    I wouldn't drive a bus in downtown DM if you doubled my current pay...no way.

17. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    #18 DaddyMac, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    I don't mean to automatically blame the driver. I can see how accident could happen with people walking against lights, not paying attention themselves, etc. And I really doubt any driver WANTS to hit a pedistrian. However....

How could you not see her? According to this she is in you line of site the whole time. If you are turning left, you really should be able to see, or should be looking, at someone ON your left, coming at you!

And in the spirit of the RAGBRAI threads.

Ah hem... I really think we should confine all walkers to the sky walks. That's what they're there for. How dare the walk out into my streets which my gas tax dollars pay for. It's not like this driver went on the sidewalk. She was in the street. And isn't a waste of taxpayer dollars to build these skywalks if people aren't going to use them 100% of the time? Doesn't matter if a sky walk doesn't go to where you are going. You should take the skyalk all the same and just be glad to make it to any end desitination intact. As long as people continue to put themselves at risk and insist on walking across streets, stupid accidents like this are going to happen. What could they be thinking. It's a matter of physics. Bus > person in Nikes and the bus will always win. Why put yourself in jeapordy like that?

That should about cover it.

18. tim_redd

tim_redd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ankeny
    His name was Leonidas?!?

19. egami

egami Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
    IT - i5 Admin/Dev
    iowa
    The answer is really simple....Dart just needs to make pedestrians worth less points.