An article mentioning a couple of ISU freshmen...

Discussion in 'Football' started by mt85, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Commentary | No Cane or Nole left behind in college quest - Sports - BradentonHerald.com

Each of Manatee’s eight football players who signed letters of intent this year qualified in what was a photo finish for some.
    Manatee High assistant football coach Chris Conboy, the college liaison for the Canes, called it a community effort.
    “Eight seniors are the most we have had qualify since (head coach) Joe (Kinnan) came back from retirement in 2006,â€￾ Conboy said. “We had teachers who stayed after school to help without pay, and players put in the hard work. Some of our guys were borderline, but they all improved their grades and test scores.
    “You read about all those kids on signing day and then a lot of times you never hear from them. It happens at a lot of schools. They don’t do what they are supposed to do, get senioritis and wind up going to junior college.â€￾
    Receiver Quenton Bundrage and defensive lineman Quinton Pompey, who are already at Iowa State, were far from shoe-ins when this whole process started back in the fall.
    “My grades were not where they needed to be, which is why I dropped out of track this year,â€￾ Bundrage said. “I started working harder and getting more focused on my studies. We are here rooming together and getting ready for summer school. They need receivers, and I expect to be out on the field this season.â€￾

2. pyrocyz

pyrocyz Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ames
    Great to hear that both will be here.

Also good to hear that they have the ability to buckle down to get their academics in order.

3. flander1649

flander1649 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Kansas City
    Great news that they both got in.

4. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    These players might have had even more offers if grades were not thought to be an issue. These guys could be really good.

5. flycy

flycy Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    USAF
    Crescent, IA
    Great to hear they made the cut!

6. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Did they really say "shoe-ins"? :unsure: By golly, they did!

Is it really that hard to know that it's "shoo-ins" from easily "shoo!"-ing farm critters into their pens or coops?

7. hawkeyeh8r

hawkeyeh8r Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    doubtful that they would have had more offers. if they were really good schools like OSU, USC, and texas would have been all over them

8. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    Not exactly but close: