Airlines to start charging for more items

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by alaskaguy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
  2. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    This is getting completely out of control...

3. Nedrick

Nedrick Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Graphic Designer
    Carroll, IA
    A friend of mine says she was charged for all luggage except carry-ons. (I told her to layer up with about 4 sets of clothes to avoid the suitcase:wink:)

4. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I would actually prefer they charge people for larger carry-ons. Those are so annoying.

5. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    The airlines are to blame for that. Charging $25 per bag to check, people are going to start bringing more than one carry on and it's going to be as big as they can possibly get it.

6. scottie33

scottie33 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    Then she'll get charged for grabbing a drink of water cause she'll be so damn hot.

This reminds me of that commercial where everything that guy does on the flight he has to pay a quarter for. When he opens the overhead he has to put a quarter in...when he goes to pull down the tray in front of him he has to put money in lol

7. CyAg

CyAg Well-Known Member

May 22, 2006
    Sitting in Ohare right now. Had to book a last minute flight to Columbus. Got a good deal out of Cedar Rapids, then got hit for $15/bag for the first bag. Not a major issue, just annoying.

8. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The one airline that is bucking the trend is Alaska Airlines. Three 50 pound pieces of luggage are still permitted for intrastate travel within Alaska. On the other hand, intrastate air travel in Alaska is more pricey than traveling coast to coast in the lower 48.

9. Flag Guy

Flag Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    I remember the first time I paid for a bottle of water. I was pissed because it was tiny and cost me 2 Euros... but I was far to uh, dehydrated and tired to argue... I did need the water that morning... :rolleyes:

It was my first experience with a discount carrier though... I learned after that

10. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    People have been carrying on larger and larger bags for years. They think that if it has one of those little pull out handles, then it is a carry on.

11. zach

zach Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2006
    The Subs
    Agreed!

Z

12. SeattleClone

SeattleClone Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Hey, if it fits in the little "test rack" at the ticket counter, it is a carry-on. I've been using one of those as my only luggage item since well before they started charging for checked baggage.

What ticks me off are the people who put multiple items in the overhead bin, like a bag, coat, etc, etc, and what ticks me off even more are the people who stop and put their bag in the bins near the front of the plane, even though their seat is in the back just so their bag is waiting for them at the front when the barge past everyone to get off the plane first. Like they're the only one who has a connecting flight. Air travel really seems to bring out the worst in people.