Advice for trading stocks online please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mike4cy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mike4cy

mike4cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    So I am thinking about starting to buy a few stocks online in the near future, and I am definitely a beginner with this. What advice do the more seasoned verterans have for a first timer? Is there a site that is head and shoulders above the rest ( e*trade or scottrade or something like that) Any tips or hints? Thanks to anyone willing to give up their secrets. :cool:

2. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Couple people I know use TradeKing. One also uses Scottrade, I've heard decent things about both.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy CF Founder
    Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Male
    IT Manager
    Waukee, IA
    I use Sharebuilder but have thought about switching to E*Trade just because of a few tools they have. I have watched the markets very intensely for years but just started investing personally this month. So far I'm up about 46% across my portfolio.

4. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    Find different things that may work for you. Then set up mock portfolios and treat them as they were real. It gives you a great parallel run and lets you find out what works best for your tendencies and philosophies.

5. Cy Hard

Cy Hard Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2008
    The affairs of state
    Polka City
    Go with E*Trade and rent a clown named Bobo, but just don't underestimate the creepiness factor.

6. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Play Poker instead! The game is fairer and the participants more honest. :smile:

7. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    I use Scottrade, and have never had any problems with it. Plus, it is hard to beat the trades, no matter the size, for only 7 bucks. And, they have a good tracking program. Have never used the others. Never had a reason to switch.

8. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    I have always used ameritrade, works fine for me, the tools are nice, and it is easy to fund.

I have also used E*trade, and the two services are about the same.

I think I signed up with Ameritrade because they were giving a free Ipod out with every funded account.

9. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
    I use Scottrade. It is cheap, easy to use and has decent tools but doesn't have free dividend reinvestment for dividend paying stocks (if that matters).

I also have a Schwab account for an IRA that I recently converted to a Roth. I have to say that their telephone customer service was shockingly good.

Both Schwab and Scottrade have local offices in most of the larger cities which can be a nice convenience.

FWIW. Good luck.

10. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    If there is a possibility that you won't trade all the time you may want to 2nd think e-trade. They charged me inactivity fees.

I've heard good things about scottrade.

11. zmjames6

zmjames6 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Transportation Planner
    Burlington
    I just signed up with E-Trade. But beware you have to wait 7 to 10 days before buying any stock under 10 days.

I signed up specifically to buy AIG when at .33 and CITI at just over $1. They both 3 to 4 times that amount already in my 7 to 10 day period. Just beware.

12. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    Scottrade. I've been very happy with them for a couple years and if you work downtown, they have an office on the skywalk of 801 Grand so that can come in handly if you need to speak to someone face-to-face.

13. isunorth

isunorth Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Real Estate Consultant
    Minneapolis
    I've only used e-trade and my only complaint is how long it takes to transfer money into the account. I understand that at first they have to set up a transfer and verify your account, but it's silly that with today's technology it takes 4 business days to transfer funds from a bank account to a brokerage account.

I suppose I could just park my money in the e-trade account so it's there if I want it. Not like I'm earning a ton of interest with the bank.

14. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    i heard this man knows whats going on with the stocks.......

[​IMG]

dont know if i could ever take stock advice from a man giving me the "devil horns"

15. Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    I see some comments above about some of the services providing tools such as tracking mock paper trades so you can check it out before you invest. With any of these services can you do that free of charge until you want to start trading for real? That would definitely get me more comfortable in doing it for real.

16. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I've had a good experience with Scottrade.

As far as advice, I would spend a while just learning what each of the stats mean for companies, and following companies that interest you personally. Many traders believe that you should invest in things that you are familiar with and understand in some way.

Also, if you hear big news about a company in the mainstream news, you've probably already missed the boat. I jumped on a couple of things and was surprised to find that they went down on good news, mainly because they had already gone up on the anticipation of good news. I've spent the better part of two years following a group of stocks, and am just now starting to feel comfortable that I can spot a good value when I see one.

17. isufan

isufan Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Iowa
    I'm looking to get into some online investing.

What companies do some of you use now?

I had someone I trust tell me to use Charles Schwab because they are one of the healthiest companies that you shouldn't have to worry about going broke.

18. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006

TD Ameritrade