Add 1 player to this years team

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
The obvious answer is a big man like Embiid. But if I had to take a guard, since we already have Kane, I'd love to see Heslip play for Fred. He is McGee like.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Embiid has of course been well voted for. McDermott obviously a great choice. Like the Stauskas suggestion. He'd fit great.

Didn't read through all the posts but I'll throw Khem Birch into the mix. 10 reb, 3.8 blocks/g? Yes please.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If I were to pick a current player, it would be Embiid no question. He would shore up the rebounding and defense. Don't care that he can't shoot a 3 and I'm betting Fred wouldn't either. For past ISU players, I'd take:

1. Royce White - Physical player and another matchup nightmare. He would be allowed to play D just because we wouldn't need to have him in there for sure to win.
2. Marcus Fizer - Just a beast. He wouldn't get pushed around inside. Could post up and hit from outside (at times).
3. Kelvin Cato - Not an offensive threat, but he could shot block with the best of them.
4. Jared Homan - Physical enforcer inside. He could hit a jumper, but more than that, he backed down from no one.
5. Chris Babb - Better perimeter defender and rebounder than Thomas or Long, and more consistent from 3.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
After reading the "Jon Miller's Comments" thread it got me thinking. If you could add 1 player who is currently playing for another team to this years team who would it be?

I know some obvious choices would be Wiggins, Randle, etc. but I want to really dig deep for who you think would be a perfect fit...

My choice would be Kyle Anderson of UCLA. The dude is a 6-7 point guard that is a mis-match nightmare. He usually is playing in the post on D because of his size.

Who in college basketball would you like to see in Fred's system and why?

I'd like to retract my pick-a-player choice of Kyle Anderson and instead pick Frank Kaminsky... I can't imagine how awesome we would be with his skill set on Fred's offense.

I usually don't like to do this sort of thing because it is a pipe dream and I really really like the team we have this year. However, you got me to bite.

It surprises me that you would retract Kyle Anderson for Kaminsky. Kyle Anderson would be 1 of 3 players that I would choose from.

Kyle Anderson is listed at 6-9 230. He may not be 6-9, but he is every bit of 6-8. He is averaging 14.9 pts 8.8 reb's and 6.9 assists. He is also shooting 50% from 3 although he has only taken 44 this yr, but much of that is because he is running the point. Working off the ball and also playing a little point forward in our Offense he would be very dangerous. Kane, Morris, Kyle Anderson, Ejim and Niang would be a ridiculous starting 5. The floor spacing alone would make that 5 almost impossible to guard.

I think TJ Warren from NC ST would be a great add to this team as well. Averaging 23.9 pts and 7.1 reb's. Only 29% from 3 but I bet Fred would have that % up. He too would be a very nice add and again the floor spacing would make a 5 of Kane, Morris, TJ Warren, Ejim and Niang almost impossible to guard as well.

Andrew Wiggins would be a nice add as well for basically the same reasons listed for the other 2 but Wiggins is a much more familiar name to most of our fans.

Add one of those 3 players and we would be a force.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Cleanthony Early......all the other obvious choices are Embiid, McDermott and Randle IMO

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
If I were to pick a current player, it would be Embiid no question. He would shore up the rebounding and defense. Don't care that he can't shoot a 3 and I'm betting Fred wouldn't either. For past ISU players, I'd take:

1. Royce White - Physical player and another matchup nightmare. He would be allowed to play D just because we wouldn't need to have him in there for sure to win.
2. Marcus Fizer - Just a beast. He wouldn't get pushed around inside. Could post up and hit from outside (at times).
3. Kelvin Cato - Not an offensive threat, but he could shot block with the best of them.
4. Jared Homan - Physical enforcer inside. He could hit a jumper, but more than that, he backed down from no one.
5. Chris Babb - Better perimeter defender and rebounder than Thomas or Long, and more consistent from 3.

1. Dedric Willoughby- The elite outside shooter we are currently missing
2. Dedric Willoughby-See above
3. Dedric Willoughby- See above
4 .Dedric Willoughby- See above
5. Dedric Willoughby- See above

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Embiid is my current player playing in College basketball, with Syracuse big men coming in second.

But if we go past cyclones it is tough for me.

1a) Royce White
1b) Marcus Fizer
2) Kelvin Cato

In my mind CFH would take any guy already mentioned in this thread and be able to use them (excluding Woodbury). But if you asked him what he would want, my guess is to toughen up the paint, any of the guys I mentioned above give that to him. He needs defensive rebounding, and post defense any of those guys help with that. With Embiid and Cato you get the added bonus of shot blocking, with White and Fizer you get extra offensive dimensions.
My reasoning for taking White and Fizer above Cato. While Cato would erase a lot of mistakes, White and Fizer would had enough rebounding that our defensive efficiency would improve, and they would also improve our offensive efficiency.

Now that I say that, Spangler or Perry Ellis might be better fits than Embiid as they would do much the same.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
After reading the "Jon Miller's Comments" thread it got me thinking. If you could add 1 player who is currently playing for another team to this years team who would it be?

I know some obvious choices would be Wiggins, Randle, etc. but I want to really dig deep for who you think would be a perfect fit...

My choice would be Kyle Anderson of UCLA. The dude is a 6-7 point guard that is a mis-match nightmare. He usually is playing in the post on D because of his size.

Who in college basketball would you like to see in Fred's system and why?

Joel Embid.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I like the Embiid choice but would rather have Kaminsky. His post moves are a thing of beauty. He would provided much needed help in the post and can hold his own defensively (also has the ability to drain a 3).. I feel Embiid is still learning his offensive game and benefits alot from who he has around him.

Im not saying I wouldn't like an Embiid in the post, I'd just rather have Kaminsky...

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
White would be great. Who would run our fast break? Who would bring the ball up the court? Kane, Niang, Morris, or White? How do you guard that?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Embid. With him guarding the rim our "bigs" would have such an easier time on the defensive end and when they let guys go by to avoid fouling they would have help. We would be incredible.

Kamisky would be great but we need rim protection more than great offensive moves.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I honestly can not understand all the Embiid love.

1) He can not guard on the perimeter
2) His teammates reinforce his perimeter struggles, they won't even pass him the ball if he flares after setting a screen on the perimeter. Clearly the perimeter is the no zone for Emiid.
3) Ever since the back issue he hasn't been the same, hasn't been a dominate force since the first few weeks of conf play
4) not only does he disappear in stretches he is absolutely worthless for stretches now
5) he has never had the fitness to fit in Fred's system.
6) At this point if we NEED a big that plays for KU Ellis is the better player

Again don't get all the Embiid love at this point. Wasn't completely on board earlier and certainly am not now

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
Just think if Fred had McDermott. This team would be unstopable. Take him over Embid any day of the week and twice on Friday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron