5 year ISU outlook

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyrok, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Cyrok

Cyrok Member

Oct 14, 2009
    DSM
    I was going to enter this as a mailbag question for CW to answer, but it's too long.

Part 1: Rhoads, Hoiberg, Fennelly, Johnson-Lynch, Jackson - is this the best over-all group of head coaches we've had at ISU? (I know it's early with Fred, but I believe!) Toss in Pollard and Geoffry and that's a fantastic starting line-up imo.

Part 2: What are your thoughts on an optimistic 5-year outlook for ISU sports: up-trending success in all the sports with post-season play, highlighted by football where we go bowling each year and reasonably expect something like 8-5 records. This allows us to milk the Big 12 for as much money and exposure as we can before it dissolves and puts us in a position to get into a more stable BCS conference?

Part 3: How much does it suck that the world is going to end in 2 years so we won't be able to see how this plays out? :)jimlad:)

2. AlleyAddict

AlleyAddict Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Ames
    The way you backed up your points with facts really sold me.

3. CYVADER

CYVADER Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sales
    Cornfields
    fennelly and johnson lynch are the best at those sports. jackson has a LONG way to go to catch nichols, otopolik, and even gibbons, and douglas. rhoads seems to be on the brink, but still a little early to say best ever. hoiberg-WAY to early to tell, but so far the risk reward is looking pretty good. pollard-for all his haters, he must be doing something right. he is still plugging away-raising money and awareness for ISU.

optimistic 5 year-you nailed it with football. basketball would be: NIT this year, NCAA's 3 of the following 4. wbb and volleyball-sustained success, wrestling-win a national title.

expected 5 year-2-3 bowl games in football. basketball-nothing this year, NCAA's 2 of next 5. wbb and volleyball-sustained success, wrestling-top 5 finishes 4 of 5 years

4. CYinPA

CYinPA Member

Oct 18, 2010
    The future will be very, very good.

5. CykoAGR

CykoAGR Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Waukee, IA

6. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    The future's so bright, we aught to wear shades.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Good comments and going back to the Nichols era there was a lineup that stands above where we are at this point. It was before the era of women's sports, but it will be hard to ever top the combination of Majors, John, and Nichols being in place at the same time. All three either had or were soon to have significant success on the national level. I believe that the administration would have been Parks and Stapleton who were both supportive in their positions.

8. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    Lets take it one year at a time. Rhoads could be hired away, Freddy could have heart issues forcing him to step away from coaching, and Pollard could decide its time to retire and enjoy life with his recent family issues. Right now we are a program on the rise and I'm going to enjoy it and be proud to be one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonecy

Jonecy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Creative Thinker
    3.5 Hours From Trice
    This is assuming the Iowa State Center & Jack Trice Stadium weren't built on ancient Indian burial grounds and our school is not cursed for eternity. :skeptical:

10. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    There is no reason to assume any of these things are more likely here than anywhere else.

11. Cyrok

Cyrok Member

Oct 14, 2009
    DSM
    #11 Cyrok, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    CykoAGR:
    "I think the key will be staff continuity and CPR’s ability to retain his current staff and/or replace them with competent coaches to minimize the fallout if someone does leave."

I agree this is hugely important for our football team. Are there any rumors out there about anyone leaving? Or is it too early and we have to see what happens after all the bowls. In any case, I have to believe CPR is fun to work for.

12. Cyrok

Cyrok Member

Oct 14, 2009
    DSM
    That's before my time. Is that late '70's? Johnny Majors took us to a couple bowls I think. Who is John? A basketball coach? Johnny Orr came in the mid-eighties right? Finally, I know Nichols is wrestling - did he win some NC's?

Thanks for the post - it's fun to learn more here.

13. statsaholic

statsaholic Member

May 17, 2006
    Sloan, Iowa
    The late Maury John .. basketball coach we hired from Drake, who was the father of belly button defense. Great potential, and then he got cancer and died. A sad day.. Another probably sad day when ISU didnt hire his assistant Gus Guydon... wont say why, but it was potentially a colorful reason.

My take on it anyway.

14. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Those three were at ISU together for 2 years: 71-72 and 72-73.

1971-72:
    Johnny Majors, Football - Sun Bowl (first bowl in school history)
    Maury John, Basketball - 12-14/5-9 in first season (ISU was 5-21/2-12 the year before)
    Harold Nichols, Wrestling - National Champs (3rd title in four years - 69, 70, 72)

1972-73:
    Football - Liberty Bowl
    Basketball - 16-10/7-7
    Wrestling - National Champs (4th title in five years)

15. tellmac

tellmac Member

May 10, 2006
    What are Pollard' family issues???s

16. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    His son has had cancer for a couple of years, it has resurfaced I do believe.

17. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Great group. Unfortunately we couldn't keep them together. As you mentioned, Maury John died of cancer, Majors left for Pitt and won a national championship, Nichols stayed on longer but Gable wouldn't wait and started his dynasty at Iowa.

A bit of trivia. ISU has had 3 Head Football Coaches leave ISU and ultimately take (or will take) their teams to Bowl Games where they played for the National Championship.

Johnny Majors (Pitt), Earle Bruce (Ohio State), Gene Chizik (Auburn)

18. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    3 more if you add assistants...
    Mack Brown (Texas)
    Jimmy Johnson (Miami)
    Pete Carroll (USC)