5-26 On the road since 2002

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyradio, Sep 14, 2008.

1. cyradio

cyradio Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Including Saturday's game....Last road win was at Texas A&M in 2005..Couple of questions:
    1) Will the heat in Vegas affect the Clones?
    2) Can we sustain a running game?
    3) Does UNLV have much of a "home field" advantage (ie do people actually go to the games???)

2. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    hey we didnt just win at A&M in 2005, we kicked thier ***!

3. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Clive
    I think (hope) ISU can get three of them this season. I think ISU gets one with UNLV, the next road game is with Baylor and ISU can finish the season on a high note by defeating K-State in Manhattan.

4. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    I am guessing we will have more fans at the game

5. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    The heat shouldn't be a problem at all. The sun sets early under the mountains, prolly be dark by 6:45-7.

6. thunderdave

thunderdave POOTMFS

Apr 14, 2006
    It will be in the mid 90's at kick-off.

7. mplscyclone

mplscyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ames, IA

1)The heat will not be too much of an issue. I don't think it's been too cold for too long not to. Also, you've got guys on the team from warmer climates. Lastly, the weather will be cooler as the game progresses, as the sun will set and all of that.

2) I really don't know. I'm skeptical. Our OLINE needs a lot of work. If we don't improve there, we won't put up TDs, and it will be hard to win games.

3) None really. Not many go to their games, and I think we'll probably have a ton of ISU fans.

The main issue with this game is: Are we the better team? UNLV has been looking good all season, and I'm a little concerend.

If UNLV wins, it won't be from those factors. It will be because they are better. From what I've seen, their offense is better. Our D needs to wrap up guys, we need to play well on special teams, and our offense needs to put the ball in the end zone. Real simple, but easier said than done.

8. SeattleClone

SeattleClone Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I'm not concerned about the heat, and I also think there's a good chance we'll outnumber the UNLV fans. What concerns me the most right now is UNLV's upset of ASU on the road. Does anybody know anything about that game? Was ASU overrated? Was it a fluke? Or is UNLV just that good this year?

9. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I don't think our o-line deserves much blame for not getting in the endzone on Sat. From most accounts, they are opening holes on run plays, but the backs just aren't getting there. My rudimentary analysis of our backs leads me to believe that only Jason Harris has the ability to read a play as it develops and make appropriate cutbacks. But it's apparent that he and Bass aren't going to see much PT this year, for whatever reason. Scales just isn't very good, and I think a lot of people overestimate A-Rob. Not that that's new at ISU, Ennis Haywood is about the last back that actually accomplished much in his career, but I digress.

10. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    I think what will affect us more this weekend is simple....

we might not be good enough to hang with UNLV.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mplscyclone

mplscyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ames, IA
    The O-line has not been opening up holes. I think part of the blame goes to them for not having a running game.

12. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    ASU was not over-rated, they were a really tough team last year and Erickson is known for recruiting (see his days at the U). I would guess that they were looking ahead to GA this weekend and didn't prepare for UNLV. ASU will beat Georgia on saturday night - put your money on it when we land in Vegas.

ISU needs to become more physical with their offensive line and tackle better, if they can improve in those two areas ISU should be 3-1.

13. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa

"UNLV is a very athletic team and they have a bowling ball running back who weighs 250 lbs." quoting John Walters:yes:

14. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

Maybe, but now that they beat a ranked opponent on the road and have some vengeance toward us, the fans will probably come out of the woodwork.

15. dustinal

dustinal Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    John Walters said this morning on Cotlar that UNLV has not had a turnover through the first three games for the first time in school history. This is not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

16. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    better tackling and play calling at key moments... we win this easy (woulda coulda shoulda last week).

I put as much blame on the UI loss on the coaches as I do the players (mainly D).

we looked really good at times (and not just the uniforms) Saturday... we played better than the week before. We win, IMO, but we must keep improving!

-keep

17. illinoiscyclone

illinoiscyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Student
    Ames
    i never understood why, but they always say when a coordinator is hired as head coach, his specialty usually is the lacking half of the team.

18. PGreen ISU '92

PGreen ISU '92 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Male
    Waukee, IA
    Heat will be a huge factor especially as cool as it’s been around here this summer. Forecast calls for sunny with a high of 92 degrees on Saturday. Whereas it cools off in the desert at night; the game will be taking place from 6pm-9pm (PT). Today for example the high in Vegas is 100 degrees. At 6pm it is forecasted to be 89 degrees, 7pm-87 degrees, 8pm-84degrees, and at 9pm-82 degrees. It will be hot throughout the game. This game is huge! Go Cyclones!