3 Thoughts: Hoiberg backs Thomas; Jensen; Lazard

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Jan 23, 2014.

1. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    So refreshing, a coach who believes in his players.

2. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    he learned by watching Coach Mess

3. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    Hope Fred advises him to watch SportCenter. It will work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Hoiberg went on to note that Thomas has been “stroking it in practice.”

What's with the quotes? Should I be worried what that implies?
    :smile:

5. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    Have him hold a press conference where he can identify publicly that he has an issue and that he's going to rehab. Everyone loves a come back story.

6. dtISU

dtISU Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    A suburb of Ames
    There was a guy on my high school team that had a problem with that. At least he would go into the lockerroom before he started.

7. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    I have zero issue with Matt Thomas. I know he will eventually click. His confidence has to be shaken a little, but with more experience that will go away. Fred is ok with him, so I am too.

8. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Funny thing. When I wrote that, I thought, "Some wise guy is going to make a crack at this." Sure enough, IT WAS BOS!!!!

9. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male

Im so predictable. I need to change my game.

10. allfourcy

allfourcy Active Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Any thoughts as to CFH's quote where he includes something about losing his mind or not knowing what he's all said? I mean, obviously the losses have been tough on him and he wants to get this team clicking again. Just hope the whole Bubu situation hasn't taken its toll. I support our coach 100%.

11. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

Watch the press conference. He was kidding about getting old, if I remember right. It was one of those wry, dry Fred jokes.

12. clonestar12

clonestar12 Member

May 16, 2006
    Sales VP - Software
    Texas
    Jensen is not returning, and has notified CPR.

13. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    If you turn into overly pessimistic guy, I will drive to your place of work and punch you in the face

14. arganbright2

arganbright2 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    ISU arguably has 3 of the top 100 players in the country, a JuCo transfer thats a double double machine, and one of the most improved players from one year to the next I've ever seen in Naz Long. If Matt Thomas had to come in and score 20 points a game, we would not be 14-3. The kid is a great shooter and he will be one of the good ones by the time he is done at ISU.

15. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Yeah he was messing around. I actually thought about taking that part of the quote out (because I knew it would create confusion) but it was a significant part of the quote and I didn't want to pick too much at it so I left it, if that makes any sense at all.

16. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    I liked the comment from Lazard...about being just one of the guys when he gets here. He's had a lot of pressure on him this year, from the media, fan expectations, recruiting, game plans designed to stop specifically HIM...and you also have to wonder if there is a little bit of resentment from less recruited teammates. That's a lot on the plate of a teenager. He sounds pretty well grounded - I hope that holds true in his Cyclone career.

17. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I've been pretty critical of Matt Thomas. I'm sure he'll pull out of his slump and everybody will love him again :yes:

18. DurangoCy

DurangoCy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Durango, CO
    We had a kid in HS that was an All-World practice and driveway player, but when we got into HS games was terrible. Eventually he would've figured it out and been one of our best players, but none of the coaches ever just let it ride with him. His confidence was absolutely destroyed over three years and he ended up playing 5-10 mpg and looking like a deer in the headlights the entire time. It was a shame considering how talented he was and how hard he worked, but it was 100% between the ears.

I like how Fred's handling this. The game is going to slow down for him and he's going to start helping this team in the near future.