3 SEZ Iowa Tickets $850

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
To be fair, i know someone who just sold 2 tickets at a 'make me watch the game from the tailgate' price of $500\ticket on stubhub tonight.

I know we aren' t supposed to sell tickets to Hawk fans, but if you can fleece one of them with those kind of prices to watch this pillow fight I say more power to you.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
People buy tickets on stubhub? Do they not know about craigslist?

Craigslist is a mess. Buyers that flake or waste your time with ridiculous lowball offers (or attempt flat out scams), and id have a problem buying without stubhub's buyer protections.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Will these tickets be still for sale? If so I would like to purchase at your earliest convenience. Please remove your listing and send me most immediately your email address and number for which I will be able to contact you very soon. I will await your response with mostly anticipation in order to process this transaction most quickly.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Craigslist is a mess. Buyers that flake or waste your time with ridiculous lowball offers (or attempt flat out scams), and id have a problem buying without stubhub's buyer protections.

True I had someone offer me an ipad in exchange for my seats for this game. Seems kinda scammy.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Buying from Stubhub means you don't have to worry about fake tickets or having to deal with cash and meeting up with some random stranger.

Legitimately curious:

What's stopping someone from uploading a legit ticket & selling on stubhub, then printing a new one from their account online & going to the game? I just honestly don't know what (if any) stops are in place to prevent this from happening.

Not that it's ever happened to me or anyone I know.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Legitimately curious:

What's stopping someone from uploading a legit ticket & selling on stubhub, then printing a new one from their account online & going to the game? I just honestly don't know what (if any) stops are in place to prevent this from happening.

Not sure, but at the very least you'd get your money back and Stubhub would be able to know who did it. Unlike buying elsewhere, where you are just out of luck.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Legitimately curious:

Nothing stopping them directly, but the buyer could go to stubhub and file a complaint which would probably result in you getting hit for the price of the tickets plus additional fees from them.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Nothing stopping them directly, but the buyer could go to stubhub and file a complaint which would probably result in you getting hit for the price of the tickets plus additional fees from them.

So a buyer could potentially go to the game with tickets he purchased from you, lie filing a complaint with stubhub saying his ticket didn't work, then get his $ back leaving you to foot the bill?

Maybe each ticket would have a unique barcode then somehow someone could get that info from the university? I suppose that's a logical solution. I don't know how one would go about getting that info from ISU, or if stubhub would just handle it all. Here's to hoping I never have to find out!

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines

ISU will know if someone sells phony tickets noone can sell a ticket that isn't legit and get away with it and still buy again, and in order to forward to yourself you need to be the purchaser. Stubhub has very few scammers however you pay for the potential of a scam by basically giving them a 33% markup of what the seller receives. Shocked you've had bad experiences I've sold tickets to probably 500 people off craigslist not just ISU tix over the years and haven't had 1 scammer. I've ignored maybe 2-3 sketchy emails (like offering a massage lol) and thats it.

Craigslist is all about finding people who are legit and aren't greedy. If you find a good deal generally speaking meet the guy ASAP because someone will want them too and be willing to meet sooner if you wait. Downsides to CL is its like a flea market with idiot sellers who think their stuffs worth more than it is or buyers who think they can pay 20 cents on the dollar for market value, and people use the free advertising to ask for stupid prices in hopes someone bites. They know Stubhub is always there to get less money so they go on it hoping to make more. The CyHawk game has clearly brought out a lot of those sellers who want to pay for next years seats with this one game, can't really blame them.

When I sell tickets for ISU on CL 50% of the fans live not in Des Moines and like to meet at the game. ITs always good to have enough tickets that you can promise to hold them for the person and put them to the side and have more to keep on selling. 90% of ISU buyers are not flakes and are pretty legit, and if they do flake there is often a reason. (Like prices drop big time in the 2 weeks between you agreeing to meet at the game and the game.)

The only bad people to be avoided IMO are other sellers who are looking to buy your tickets and make money themselves those people get you to a parking lot and try to get a lower deal than agreed to. But those guys are the parking lot crackheads who show up with I need ticket signs hoping gullible fans will sell them their extras for peanuts. ******* hate those sellers its a shame that for every legit fan with extras or non greedy serious seller there is one of them trying to rip someone off.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
So a buyer could potentially go to the game with tickets he purchased from you, lie filing a complaint with stubhub saying his ticket didn't work, then get his $ back leaving you to foot the bill? Maybe each ticket would have a unique barcode then somehow someone could get that info from the university? I suppose that's a logical solution. I don't know how one would go about getting that info from ISU, or if stubhub would just handle it all. Here's to hoping I never have to find out!
Potentially yes. This rarely happens. Reality is when a scammer does buy SH tickets and attends then asks for a refund SH will see that the person just signed up to purchase these tickets and pull a scam and they will give the seller the benefit of the doubt. Normally someone with positive history and a track record doesn't pull scams. So basically your only risking something like this happening if you are a brand new seller as well in which case they can't tell who of the 2 parties is legit. (Someone tried to pull this on me for Stanley Cup Finals tickets but Stubhub saw the buyer was a brand new phony account so I was fine and got paid.)

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Potentially yes. This rarely happens. Reality is when a scammer does buy SH tickets and attends then asks for a refund SH will see that the person just signed up to purchase these tickets and pull a scam and they will give the seller the benefit of the doubt. Normally someone with positive history and a track record doesn't pull scams. So basically your only risking something like this happening if you are a brand new seller as well in which case they can't tell who of the 2 parties is legit. (Someone tried to pull this on me for Stanley Cup Finals tickets but Stubhub saw the buyer was a brand new phony account so I was fine and got paid.)

I guess I always assumed the barcode changed when you transfered a ticket electronically through stubhub or other verified e-ticket seller, making the original no longer valid. Maybe not, but seems like the simple way to avoid this.