Howard 278
Brown 267
or
UC Riverside 304

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
A lot of teams in the low 100s that we should be able to beat and won't kill our RPI. 3 absolute creampuffs (pretty normal). Two good teams, one neutral and one road.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looks like a easy road to 20 wins and in the ncaa's . If they can finish top 3 in the conference I'll believe we have a pretty good team.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I don't buy this excuse at all anymore. You always see big teams playing home and homes. I am not even advocating for play the "BIG" teams. How about just a few middle of the pack power 5 teams? How about some top tier "mid-majors"? Something that at least makes going to a non-con game exciting.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Driving to Ames KNOWING that we are going to win and then sitting there with no reason to cheer and being up 45-10 at halftime... it really kind of sucks.

BirdDog

May 23, 2011
I usually defend the ISU non-conference slate, but this one is awfully weak.

Not very strong for sure, but with 5 new freshman coming in, some of whom will need to develop early (the bigs especially) before Big 12 play, I see it fitting right in to where CBF wants to go this year.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Not very strong for sure, but with 5 new freshman coming in, some of whom will need to develop early (the bigs especially) before Big 12 play, I see it fitting right in to where CBF wants to go this year.

I agree let them gain some confidence before the conference games. The Cincinnati game is the return game from last year when we played there. They always go somewhere for Thanksgiving which is hard to find tournaments. These are the Wyoming and St Mary's games. APR and Fairfield may be before and after finals. I don't have any problem with that. One of these games is the replacement for UNI also as we evidently couldn't find an agreeable date with them so it might have been a last minute addition.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
20-21 games are set in stone every season.

For the handful of games that ISU can control, the theory has always been to not schedule your way out of the postseason. Given this year's roster, it makes perfect sense.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
20-21 games are set in stone every season.

For the handful of games that ISU can control, the theory has always been to not schedule your way out of the postseason. Given this year's roster, it makes perfect sense.

As a season ticket holder for both sports, I'm glad our volleyball coach hasn't got that memo:

"I always like to schedule tough. It's good for us." - Christy Johnson-Lynch at VB media day.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I agree with the need to give the Frosh, who are critical to our success, a chance to develop and for the team to jell. The conference season is long and a real meat grinder every year. Not many other conferences are like that. I'll be there for every game cheering them on even if they play a team made up of the complainers here.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
As a season ticket holder for both sports, I'm glad our volleyball coach hasn't got that memo:

"I always like to schedule tough. It's good for us." - Christy Johnson-Lynch at VB media day.

Do you not understand the differences that these two teams face?

Volleyball can almost sleepwalk to a 3rd-place finish in the Big 12 every year. There isn't much depth in the league. Basketball, on the other hand, has to bust *** to finish in the top half.

Volleyball has two fewer conference games than basketball. They are also not saddled with playing Drake every year. This allows CJL to have a tougher non-conference schedule without as much risk.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
I agree that we need to keep the schedule easier so that the incoming freshmen can get their feet wet and we don't schedule ourselves out of post season, but sometimes I find myself thinking that maybe the reason why we fell apart last year was because the girls weren't challenged during the non conference schedule. I like to see a relatively easy schedule, but I wouldn't mind seeing at least 1 or 2 middle of the pack schools in the schedule. I would like to see either Nebraska, Colorado, or Missouri at Hilton again during the non conference schedule. Give the girls at least a chance to play a somewhat challenging school, so they know how to play until the end. Just my thoughts, but no matter what I will be in the stands at almost every game.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Last year we were challenged early by a scrappy Auburn team on the road and somewhat by Iowa at home. You also have to remember last years team was flying high before losing Maddie.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm not going to second-guess it too much, since the formula has worked OK for Iowa State in the Fennelly era.

But if Hoiberg were to stay at ISU until 2030, had 14 NCAA tournament appearances, with 3 Sweet 16's and 2 Elite 8's, and I saw this non-conference schedule, I would ask, "What are you waiting for?"