2012 Defense

Discussion in 'Football' started by CycloneCurt, Dec 12, 2011.

1. CycloneCurt

CycloneCurt Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Some on this board have stated that for the defense to improve next year, they will need to improve their effort against the run. While conference stats would support such a contention, I'm wondering if Wally Burnham's strategy is to give up a little against the run in order to better defend against the pass.

In conference games only, ISU ranked 7th in rushing defense this year (204 yds/game), but the Clones ranked a more respectable 5th in scoring defense - aided by their pass defense (3rd in the conference).

While it is incumbent on ISU to work on all facets of the defense this spring, maybe the stats are a bit misleading.

2. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    ISU has been bringing in a lot of good prospects for the DL. You will start seeing more and more of those players next year and in the future. The defense is only going to get better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Our linebackers will help us stop the run. What worries me is breaking in new corners.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cyclone101

cyclone101 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Central IA
    With the linebackers we have I'm not too concerned

5. RustShack

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    We have CPR who is a DB guy, not to mention Wally is our DC. I'm not worried about the defense at all.

6. cy4prez7

cy4prez7 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Male
    Teacher
    Des Moines
    Especially with the addition of Porter!

7. RustShack

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    With guys like Irving and Pompy coming to the DL, we are in good shape. A great DL can mask the weaknesses of a defense, and well we don't have any weakness at LB. We have talent and great coaching at DB, I'm not worried one bit.

8. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    We saw a lot of time from the guys who will be playing in the defensive backfield this year.

Reeves, Broomfield, Washington have all played a ton, and I think we'll see a lot of Givens, Watson, Lynn and maybe Brackens next year. Wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a lock-down JUCO guy though.

9. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Part of that difference in stats is that with all of the 4-5 WR sets that we see, LB's have to drop back in pass coverage more often so they are not always able to concentrate on stopping the run. That leaves our D-line with a lot of that responsibility, which was improving throughout the year, but were gouged at times early in the season.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
    Very good view, I really agree, that Burnham does work a bend not break type defense and in the offensive climate that we are up against this is a very good plan for the most part, in this situation if the DL improves skill-wise, the overall rating of against the run will come around, I truly see with the recruits coming in(Hayes, Aka, Pompcey, and Irving) and the valuable experice that was received this year from, Nelson, Jenson, Woods, Laing, Simon, I believe next year we may be upgrading here, put an offseason of McKnight under a guy like Irving and it will work wonders.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
  12. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Borger, TX
    You mean corner, right? We only lose one.

13. RustShack

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
  14. #14 Omaha Cy, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    Wally did that against Baylor and Mizzou...got it handed to him on the ground. Scrapped that idea and played straight up for the most part against OSU and let his defensive backs do their job.

Of course, come to think of it OSU didnt bother to run that night. But had they it would have been into the teeth of a 7 man front and not 5 like Baylor/Mizzou.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    We have a lot of solid talent in the ranks on defense. Our defense WILL be better in 2012 that it was this year, and i think it was pretty darn good this year.

Defensive line will be better. McD has really played well down the stretch and we will get Maggitt back (I think rhoads believed Maggitt was going to be a solid player this year)

Knott-Klein-Porter + Solid Depth
    Morgan/Broomfield

At defensive back, we lose 2 great DBs. We gain a year in experience. I think LJ learned a ton by being a 4 year starter. Hopefully he has taught the young guys well. I don't think we have anything to worry about in the defensive backfield.

Top 5 defense in the big 12 next year. Count on it. Top 3 if our offense plays well.

16. RustShack

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Put me in this ship.

17. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    I see Simon has a visit scheduled to Arky in January with no offer from them yet.

18. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    I think the secondary will be the biggest question but a handful of young guys did see some time this year, that experience should help. The LB group will be as good as anyone in the conference, could be the best we've had at ISU. The Dline has some holes to fill but for the most part the coaching staff got more out of them then most of us probably thought, no reason to think that won't continue.

19. bigsag

bigsag Active Member

Jan 27, 2009
    (Not totally sure at what point it occurs, but) T J Mutcherson is going to see the field and be an impact player in 2012. IMHO.

20. demoncore1031

demoncore1031 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2008
    Musician
    Albuquerque,NM
    pass rush has been the worst part of our defense for the last few years. we will have an amazing group of LBs next year and they will be even better if the d-line can step up the pass rush. with all these new guys we have coming in, i think we will be fine. so many options, i'm sure at least 1 or 2 of these guys will earn PT next year. plus we get maggitt healthy. depending on what the depth chart looks like, this could be the biggest d-line we have had in years!