10 Things I think I think

Discussion in 'Football' started by midwestcyfan, Aug 29, 2008.

1. midwestcyfan

midwestcyfan Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Here are some things that I noticed at last nights game.
    1.First off, I love the new uniforms! They are by far the best uni's that they have had since I have been following the team.

2. This team looks so much bigger and faster than any other cyclone team that I have watched.

3. Austin Arnaud looked poised in the pocket, threw a nice football, and went through his progressions well.

4. Anytime you can get 6 defensive turnovers you know your defense is doing something right, but I would like to see some more stops on 3rd down and get off the field a little quicker.

5. The offensive turnovers have got to get cleaned up. This team cannot afford to give the ball up like that.

6. Doesn't it feel great to actually see the cyclones destroy a team that they are supposed to? It finally felt good to sit there and enjoy a total beatdown and not have to worry about pulling it out late in the game like this team has had to do for the last decade or so.
    7. What a concept-have a kicker that can actually make the kicks. Mahoney was excellent tonight, he had good leg power on kickoffs and all his field goals and extra points looked good.

8. That catch by Sedrick in the endzone was a thing of beauty. Reminded me alot of the catch made by the arkansas reciever last year and I think that won play of the year.

9. Penalties-good and bad. It was great to see the offensive line not have any false starts and only one holding call all game. They seemed to play disciplined which is great. On the other hand, the unecessary roughness penalties were stupid and need to get cleaned up.

10. Finally, I loved seeing the different looks on defense. I love seeing corner blitzes and linebackers being shot out of a cannon at the qb. It was so frustrating watching a generic defense all those years.

Overall, it was a great night for the cyclone football team and its fans. the team made some big strides towards being a competitive football team week in and week out. There obviously is still work to do, but today we can all be proud to be part of the cyclones.

2. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    I would like to see:

Less missed tackles... way too many. Hit AND wrap.

Better pass rush.

Fewer, critical timing, turnovers.

-keep

3. Lenny25

Lenny25 Active Member

Jan 2, 2008
    KS Supreme Court Justice
    Overland Park, Kansas
    It was nice to see made field goals, but I thought the distance on his kick offs could have been much better. He needs to be able to put that thing in the end zone.

4. cyclonemaniac7

cyclonemaniac7 Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    He is just a freshman, and that was his first game. He put several inside the 5. I would say that's pretty good.

5. bstegs

bstegs Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Chicago
    You have to remember that on kickoffs, another important thing is airtime. Even though he was only kicking to the 5, he was giving his guys enough time to get to the 25. Not bad for his first time out.

6. CyRocket

CyRocket Member

Jan 31, 2007

I was on the road last night so did not see the game. I was wondering how high his kickoffs were. Hangtime is underrated on kickoffs. Possibly putting the other team inside their 20 can be the result of hangtime.

7. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I'd like to add that I hope to see our O-line do a better job opening holes. SDSU was out manned big time but we weren't really pushing them around - let's hope that gets better!

8. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    Mahoney's hangtime was really good. His kicks were consistently inside the 5 and the returner was having to make moves to avoid tackles starting at the 15.

9. cycloneryan

cycloneryan Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines
    I agree with most of that but I didn't see a whole lot of stunts on defense. The started to run all over us in the second half. That scarred me a bit but I'm sure we were running a very generic d against them

10. Lenny25

Lenny25 Active Member

Jan 2, 2008
    KS Supreme Court Justice
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Freshman or not. You need to be able to put it in the end zone if need be. Kicking to the 5 yard line may not cut it when we are playing the Big XII big boys.

11. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I must be delusional. Through two-a-days, I thought it was Guyer who was leading.

12. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Not nearly as many kickers put it in the endzone over the last 2 years since they move KO's back.

13. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    Mahoney averaged 66.2 yds per kickoff which is between the 3 and 4 yardline. SDSU averaged 17.5 yds on their kickoff returns which would put them just across the 20 with those averages. That is a heck of alot better kickoff performance than last year.

14. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Mahoney will only get bigger and stronger. We appear to be a big + in the kicking category compared to last year with room to improve.

15. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Man, you go from havin a kid who can barely get past the 20 to a FRESHMAN who can consistently get it into the 5? Do you remember when he got moved back an extra 5 yards and STILL put it on the goal line. Give it a rest man, its the first game. Kickoffs arent gonna win games for you and the kid was PERFECT between the posts.

16. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    I know its early, but generally Im happy with what I see. The turnovers and penalties were dumb, but I see that subsiding. Mahoney is my hero...already. I think by the time some of these guys are junior and seniors we may make some noise. Who knows, maybe we may this year. I see lots o promise.

17. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    Watch college football and tell me how many kickers consistently get it to the endzone. And if they do, how often is it a line drive? Mahoney had great height on his kicks that ended at the 5. Can't complain about that

He was leading until 2 days ago, the coaches told him he had lost his spot to Mahoney. He wasn't sure why, but after watching them kick at halftime and watching Guyer do kickoffs, I understand. Mahoney was getting much better height on his kicks. He looked good and confident

18. yannballer

yannballer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Sales Dept Office Manager
    Rochester, MN
    Not gonna lie those defensive personal fouls were stupid but it was nice to see some tenacity and agressiveness on the field. Although dumb penalties I thought our defense looked tough throughout the first 3 quarters. The game was in hand by the 4th, but they still looked good!

19. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    I suppose it is to be expected in a situation like that, but I thought the intensity went down in the 4th quarter.

20. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX

Same here - anybody know?