Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU vs Iowa Position Debate

QB: I think this one is a push, Arnaud and Stanzi both have their strengths as passers and both have their weaknesses. Arnaud still struggles with throws over the top of linebackers which he demonstrated on Thursday. Stanzi had a good game against showing that he has improved from last season in not trying to force anything and he had no picks but ISU has a much better secondary than EIU does so we will see. But I think Arnaud has more potential than Stanzi does he just has to play like he did in the first half all the time.

RB: ISU. I think Alexander the great is by far the best running back on either team but Iowa has a very good 1 2 punch with Robinson and Hampton. But I think this could be a push because Iowa has more proven depth at this point than we do.

WR/TE: Iowa. This is Iowas most talented and deepest receiving core since 2002. Iowa has two dangerous and proven playmakers in DJK and Marvin McNutt and some very talented experienced backups in sandeman, Kennan Davis, and cheney. They also have a very deep and talented tight end corps with Reisner, Herman, and Fiedorowicz. We have some very talented receivers in Darks, Johnson, Money, Williams, and Lenz but they have yet to really prove they can make plays on a consistent basis. Franklin is nice weapon for us but really has no one behind him.

OL: ISU. Our O-Line looked decent but not great against NIU but has a lot of experience and will definitely improve as the season goes on and KO and Lamak are very good. Iowa has a ton of talent on the O Line but they are fairly inexperienced but they could very likely end up being better than our O Line but until then ISU has the edge.

DL: Iowa. This one really isn't up for debate, Iowa is just so dominate and deep up front. Klug, Binns, Ballad, and Clayborn will all be all big ten at the end of the year and are all extremely disruptive. I think our D Line is improved from last years D Line but still is one of the weak points of the team. Rump and Johnson are nice players but aren't world beaters and will struggle at times. Parker and Neal have a lot of experience but are very small and will get worn down come big 12 play.

LB: Iowa. This one is close but the edge goes to Iowa. Iowa has two new linebackers in Tarpinian and Neilson but have been in the system for 5 and 4 years so they know the system well. They certainly won't replace Edds and Angerer but they are very good and they have 3rd year starter Hunter returning. We have a lot of talent in our linebacking corps but that talent is very young and will make some mistakes along with some good plays. But with lack of experience with have a upgrade in athleticism which can make up for some inexperience but we should expect some mistakes early on.

DB's: Iowa. Iowa has one of the better secondarys in the nation with Sash, Greenwood, Prater, and Hyde and IMO the best corner and safety between the two teams in prater and Sash. Hyde has a ton of potential but got burnt a couple times against EIU and made some good plays but that is to be expected with youth. We have some very good talent in the backfield with LJ and Sims. Sims is one of the better SS's in the nation and can cover and bring the wood in the run game. But O'Connel and Benton can be picked on in the pass game. This one is close but Iowa just has too much depth at this position.

Kickers: Push. Mahoney can be a very good kicker but has been very inconsistant as of late much like Murray for Iowa.

Punter: Iowa. Next

KR/PR: ISU. LJ and Sims are just too dangerous here while DJK is dangerous we just have many more dangerous options.

Offense: ISU
    Defense: Iowa
    Special Teams: Iowa

What do you got

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU vs Iowa Position Debate

QB is not a push unless you're an ISU fan. 99% of the people who know anything about football would take Stanzi over Arnaud.

I also think that Iowa's db's are completely over-rated.

Sims is probably the best player on either team.

I agree with the rest of your list.

Recruit
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

That analysis is actually pretty generous to Iowa.

I would have given Iowa an edge at WR before the weekend, but DJK and McNutt were AWOL against EIU and so my confidence in them has dipped somewhat.

I don't think there's much of a chance that Iowa's OL will be as good as ISU's this season -- Ferentz in particular is a liability with his lack of size and outside of Reiff, the OL struggle to get push in the run game. Blitz pickup looks like an issue as well. Gettis has supposedly improved but got owned in pass protection in his only start last year against UNI, so we'll see on 9/11 if that's really the case.

Prater could be the best corner between the two teams, but is not 100% at this point and so that has to factor in. I imagine Sash and Sims are pretty close to even.

I hope your analysis is more accurate than mine, of course.

Recruit
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RossHallHero View Post
    \

I also think that Iowa's db's are completely over-rated.

Sims is probably the best player on either team.
    Best player or best DB?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 382

Quote Originally Posted by hippiehawk View Post
    Best player or best DB?
    Ya I'm would think Clayborn is the best overall player, pretty much without a doubt.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mitchforcy View Post
    QB: I think this one is a push, Arnaud and Stanzi both have their strengths as passers and both have their weaknesses. Arnaud still struggles with throws over the top of linebackers which he demonstrated on Thursday. Stanzi had a good game against showing that he has improved from last season in not trying to force anything and he had no picks but ISU has a much better secondary than EIU does so we will see. But I think Arnaud has more potential than Stanzi does he just has to play like he did in the first half all the time.
    It's probably a push unless one rates Arnaud with the rbs too. As far aa straight passing ability I think Arnaud has closed a gap that opened between the two last year. He looks like he can throw the ball with confidence again this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 92

QB-Push considering systems. We need AA. He runs the ball hard. Both can make big mistakes. In each system, they are a push

RB-Push. Alexander is better but Iowa is proven deeper.

WR-Probably Iowa but I think it's close.

TE-Iowa but Franklin could be good.

Oline-From what I saw in each game, push.

Dline-Iowa. Next

LBs-Again, likely Iowa, but they lack in coverage skills and we haven't seen our guys play much.

Secondary-Push. Sims is the best player in the backfield on either team. At least he was. I think LJ is a better cover corner that either of the two Iowa DBs. Sash is better than any option we have a FS.

ST-Iowa all around with the exception of punt return. I'm sorry, I just can't get myself to believe Mahoney is that great.

The best part of all these comparisons is they don't matter. It hasn't mattered for a long time.

It's all snark from here on out

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Ya I'm would think Clayborn is the best overall player, pretty much without a doubt.
    They may all be mediocre at best, but I think there are a number of guys on these rosters with a chance to make an NFL impact. Clayborn, Ballard, Sims, AxRob, and Reiff (to a lesser degree) all have proven to me that they are solid college players with NFL quality athletic potential.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Secondary-Push. Sims is the best player in the backfield on either team. At least he was. I think LJ is a better cover corner that either of the two Iowa DBs. Sash is better than any option we have a FS.
    Sash is a SS and no one but ISU fans would put Sims ahead of him. Sash is on almost every preseason All-American team.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rock View Post
    Sash is a SS and no one but ISU fans would put Sims ahead of him. Sash is on almost every preseason All-American team.
    That is only because he is on the defense of a top ten team. Their stats were nearly identical last year. Sims had 4 more tackles and a forced fumble, Sash had one more pick. They are pretty even.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

I know its early but Im kinda excited to see what Jerome Tiller at QB and Shontrelle Johnson at RB can do in this system next year. Both are very fast and the ISU players have said that Jerome is a batter passer and gets more behind his throws. I know its early but I just thought of that. I love both Arnaud and A-Rob

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 43

the QB position was FAR from a push last year. Our QB got benched.

But, arnaud can totally redeem himself by managing the game better this year. I'd still think Stanzi is a better fit for Iowa, but not necessarily better.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    the QB position was FAR from a push last year. Our QB got benched.

But, arnaud can totally redeem himself by managing the game better this year. I'd still think Stanzi is a better fit for Iowa, but not necessarily better.
    When was that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

The kicking game is a push? Really? The NI kicker out kicked ours on kickoffs. Iowa is far better than ISU in special teams.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Thumbs Up

QB: Iowa - Stanzi, but it is closer than many think. Arnaud just makes too many mistakes.

RB: ISU best RB, but Hampton is real close. Hard to really say who is better at this point in the season because we haven't seen Hampton at 20 carries per game. As a unit I say Iowa gets the nod.

OL: Iowa

WR: I think as an entire unit this is closer to a draw. Iowa has probably the best WR overall with DJK. Iowa States entire unit looks impressive though.

TE: Iowa

DL: Iowa

LB: Iowa

DB: Draw - I too think Iowa's DB's are overrated at this stage in the game, and our safeties aren't gamebreakers on pass defense. If we are grading on rushing defense then Iowa's secondary is better, but I've yet to see anything out of Iowa's secondary to grant them anywhere close to elite status. They are more beneficiaries of a top 5 in the nation Dline.

Punter: Iowa
    Kicker: Iowa
    Special Teams: Iowa