Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Could this be the year?

Well maybe i've been drinking a little too much Kool-Aid, but could this be the year that we finally win the north and go to the championship? I started thinking this after i read the thread about Nebraska giving up about 300 yards to Western Kentucky. So here's my thoughts.

Nebraska: They're easily the favorite in the north, but letting WKU put up 299 yards on their 'outstanding' defense is making me question that. Especially since 179 of that was rushing. If the defense continues to play like that I can't wait to see A-Rob and our offense can do to them. Sure they won by 39, but its WKU.

Kansas: I don't see us possibly losing that one.

Kansas State: This game could be very tough, Kansas State rushed for over 300 yards against UCLA. That being said they only had 64 passing yards. The key to this game will obviously be stopping the run (which we will have had to do the past two weeks against NIU and Iowa). If our defense can shut down the run then this should be an easy win.

Colorado: They looked a lot better then most people expected, they are an improved team. But lets keep in mind that Colorado State went 3-9 last year. One number that really jumped out at me was the fact that Colorado State only had 49 rushing yards. I would hope to God our offense can run it for more then 49 yards. But after seeing some life from our passing game Thursday we might not need an outstanding rushing effort to get this game won. I still have this one as a W.

Missouri: Their offense did not impress me against Illinois. They only rushed for 98 yards. The key to this game is going to be shutting down the passing game, which they went for 281 yards. A key stat for us is that Missouri let up 200 rushing yards. This is another game where our rushing attack needs to win us this game. This game looks much better for us after seeing the first game.

Our other opponents

Texas: Started out slow against Rice but i haven't had that much Kool-Aid, Loss.

Oklahoma: Had a close one with Utah State. If they play like that the whole year we could have a shot at them. But i'm thinking this one was first game jitters and i still have it as an almost definite L.

Texas Tech: They play today so i can't really say much until after that game, but from what i've heard this could be a win for the good guys.

So that's my thoughts, maybe i've drinking way too much Kool-Aid but i do think after seeing these teams play we have a legitimate shot at winning the north.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 0

Re: Could this be the year?

I think you've been drinking too much kool-aid.

Nothing happened this first weekend to make me feel much different about our year, with the exception of Kansas... they look a lot worse than I thought they were.

KSU and CU looked a bit better than I thought they were. Missouri looks to be about what I expected. They started the game a bit rusty, but looked more like Missouri as the game went on.

Our schedule will still not enable us to win the North IMO. Other North teams have a much easier route than we do.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan987 View Post
    Well maybe i've been drinking a little too much Kool-Aid, but could this be the year that we finally win the north and go to the championship? I started thinking this after i read the thread about Nebraska giving up about 300 yards to Western Kentucky. So here's my thoughts.

Nebraska: They're easily the favorite in the north, but letting WKU put up 299 yards on their 'outstanding' defense is making me question that. Especially since 179 of that was rushing. If the defense continues to play like that I can't wait to see A-Rob and our offense can do to them. Sure they won by 39, but its WKU.

Kansas: I don't see us possibly losing that one.

Kansas State: This game could be very tough, Kansas State rushed for over 300 yards against UCLA. That being said they only had 64 passing yards. The key to this game will obviously be stopping the run (which we will have had to do the past two weeks against NIU and Iowa). If our defense can shut down the run then this should be an easy win.

Colorado: They looked a lot better then most people expected, they are an improved team. But lets keep in mind that Colorado State went 3-9 last year. One number that really jumped out at me was the fact that Colorado State only had 49 rushing yards. I would hope to God our offense can run it for more then 49 yards. But after seeing some life from our passing game Thursday we might not need an outstanding rushing effort to get this game won. I still have this one as a W.

Missouri: Their offense did not impress me against Illinois. They only rushed for 98 yards. The key to this game is going to be shutting down the passing game, which they went for 281 yards. A key stat for us is that Missouri let up 200 rushing yards. This is another game where our rushing attack needs to win us this game. This game looks much better for us after seeing the first game.

Our other opponents

Texas: Started out slow against Rice but i haven't had that much Kool-Aid, Loss.

Oklahoma: Had a close one with Utah State. If they play like that the whole year we could have a shot at them. But i'm thinking this one was first game jitters and i still have it as an almost definite L.

Texas Tech: They play today so i can't really say much until after that game, but from what i've heard this could be a win for the good guys.

So that's my thoughts, maybe i've drinking way too much Kool-Aid but i do think after seeing these teams play we have a legitimate shot at winning the north.

Too much kool-aid? Yes

Big 12 north? No

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,541
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 3

I agree that the North is wide open and not an open and shut case for Nebraska.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'd be careful generalizing the entire MU/Illini game. MU came out completely flat and uninterested, especially on defense. Gabbert had a dumb turnover. Yost's playcalling was terrible and the defense wasn't able to communicate.

MU improved as the game went on. MU outscored Illini 20-0 in the second half and held them to 85 total yards in the second half. That 85 yards includes one 49 yard run and a 15 yard run. Yost also started implementing the running backs and I think the RBs ended up with about 120yards rushing by the end.

I think it is a bit early to stamp teams with labels. No way is Texas, OU, Florida, etc. going to be mediocre teams just because they struggled in the first game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

we would have to beat every north team in order to win it. when have we done that? never. we won't beat okla or texas on the road and we have only beat tech 1 or 2 times ever if i am not mistaken. though some teams didn't look that great against poorer competition, we weren't particularly savvy either. our defense is not good enough for us to beat every north team this year.

as my dad always told me "you can shi!t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full first."

possible? yes.
    likely? no.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 2

Dude stop drinking the kool aid your setting yourself up for MAJOR disappointment.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Yeah... too much Kool-Aid. It's the first week of the season. Teams that are more talented are going to get much much better and at a faster rate than we are. We're one week in. Just calm down for a bit. Worry about Iowa and KSU first.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

I'm taking this season one game at a time, just like last year. I will say I think we may have a better chance to upset either Texas or Oklahoma this year (if any year). Time to embrace the schedule and go.

Recruit
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    I'm taking this season one game at a time, .
    I think this is what everyone needs to do. Maybe we will catch a few teams sleeping, but it foolish for us to look past anyone.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

I've been telling my coworkers that ISU is going to beat Texas this season, I firmly believe it too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I feel much better about what we looked like compared to many other teams in the Big 12. Getting Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Mizzou at home will be a huge benefit. Before this weekend, Iowa and Nebraska both looked out of reach, but now I think we could pull the upset if we keep mistakes to a minimum.

I don't want my words to be minced, so let me clarify: We looked higher up in the conference hierarchy than I expected, but I'm not convinced we're high enough to win the North.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 567
    Given: 272

I didn't even read the thread because its Sunday and my eyes are lazy from watching so much football. Let me say this:
    Nebraska is the front runner to win the North. After what I saw this weekend, ISU, KSU, MU and maybe CU are all battling for 2nd-5th in the North. KU, well they look like they should go to the Pioneer League.
    That being said, Nebraska will not be able to walk to the North title. They will need to be firing on all cyclinders, except maybe when they play KU haha.
    ISU could very easily win the North, but they could also very easily get last in the North. Remember, with KU's easy schedule, we could kill them 50-0 in the game, but they could still finish higher than us.
    With that said, I predict ISU will finish 2nd or 3rd in the North. I think it will be a battle with ISU, KSU, and MU for position 2-4 in the North.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This could be. If we play smart we can be very very good.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm still not sold on our DL. The Northern Illinois running back broke way too many tackles.

The Iowa game will tell us a lot.