Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Biggest weakness on this years team...

If you look at the past two years, our biggest weakness seemed to center around the coaches. Poor play calling, poor defensive schemes etc. If that can be overcome (and I think it will) our weakest areas will center on personel. In order I see that as:
    1. Offensive Line
    2. Defensive backs (we were horrible last year, but no rush didn't help)
    3. Defensive Line
    It seems our other needs are filled. With our JUCOs and RS Frosh, we might be able to patch the lines up. Others thoughts?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Re: Biggest weakness on this years team...

Basically we were non aggressive. We refused to lose by taking chances. Boy, how times have changed. In your face.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

running back and safety need upgrades

1. Safeties were horrible. Couldn't tackle anyone or make a play.
    2. Outside linebacker play. See above, Banks moved here and still bad.
    3. Runningbacks were terrible last year and my fingers are crossed for BASS.
    4. The oline wasn't nearly as bad as Hicks and Meyer at times made them look, but we lost a couple of the best ones we had.

I want a threat at running back. I think every ISU fan has forgotten what it is like to have a runningback who can run for 20 yards plus if given a hole. Hicks had holes at times, but his 4.9 speed limited the gain. Then find me a safety who will hit someone. ISU has too many soft safeties.

I think the line play will come around. We have enough of them on the roster.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

Biggest weakness will continue to be o-line and long distance field goal kicking in clutch situations. Until we realize that it is better to have a stellar line and average skill positions rather than awesome skill positions and a weak o-line we will continue to lose games we could win. I think we may finally have a coach that can't stomach weak as high school play from a big12 o-line. And I agree...a back with break away speed would be awesome. I remember how bad we were during the troy davis years but damn if that o-line wasn't great and boy could troy run if he found a hole...too bad the defense didn't even exist or we might be in a whole different place right now. I really think coach mac missed some key moments that were there to propell us into the contender ranks and he just didn't seize them...(troy davis years, seneca had his team ranked in the top ten before the disaster at ou and no more wins, losing to mizzou for the north title, losing to kansas and mizzou the next year). Man.

Last edited by everyyard; 06-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

I'll say it...

Heart.

We gave up too many times last year in the face of adversity. I firmly believe coaching will improve that yet it's still a weakness until it's actually proven on the field.

Once a guy quits once, it's much easier for him to quit again. Chizik will have to "beat" the quit out of these guys.

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Personally, I do not think that I can stomach another year of watching teams having a 3rd and 7 against us and no fear. Since our D backs were not effective last year, they will only be improved marginally this year. This in my opinion will be the weakest this year. I pray to God that I am totally wrong.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Actually the answer to your question is pretty damn simple. Lack of good players. We have a few, but nowhere near enough to compete with the big boys.

Coaching can, and will, overcome some of it, not that Iowa State fans would know that after the past 12 years, but in the end, we don't have enough difference makers on this team.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think our Dback situation will be better this year - probably nothing resembling a strength however. Have to remember that losing Jackson early on and having all that youth back there accounts for our poor play. You just can't expect to lose your best player on D and bounce back.

But the youngsters got a lot of experience.

I'd probalby flip your 2 and 3, and go with EveryYard above by inserting "clutch kicking" in between.

1) Oline
    2) Dline
    3) Kicking game
    4) Dbacks.
    5) Rushing attack close behind.

And I'll add an * to all thes, agreeing with others here who say that the coaching staff kinda took the ball out of the teams hands on more than a few occassions over the years.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 06-20-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'd disagree that last year's biggest weaknesses related to coaching and play calling. The biggest weakness is simply talent. That hasn't been fixed yet. No quick fixes for not enough good players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    I'd disagree that last year's biggest weaknesses related to coaching and play calling. The biggest weakness is simply talent. That hasn't been fixed yet. No quick fixes for not enough good players.
    I believe coaching will make a bigger impact than you expect. Just look at the change in the off-season conditioning program. That's completely coaching. Then look at the winning attitude Chizik exudes and the experience he's gained being involved with winning football over the years. While he and his staff can't execute the plays, they can influence how well the players execute...

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm really surprised at the number of people who write off the coaching change as if it will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of games. Lots of people say it's all about talent. If that was the case, then USC should be undefeated for about the last 5 years.

Does anyone really think Boise State put more talent on the field than OU in the Fiesta Bowl last year? Not by a long shot, but their players were prepared, the playcalling was creative, and the players executed well. That my friends is excellent coaching.

But as darts mentioned, it might be kind of hard for us ISU fans to recognize good coaching when we see it.

P.S. Before anyone jumps me about the BSU-OU situation as a one-game abherration, please point out how many wins we garnered over the last 12 seasons where ISU was the lesser talented team. I can think of 1 maybe - the 2002 win over Iowa. Top to bottom, they were probably more talented (just not at QB).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 319

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you with the biggest weakness being talent. The talent was there, especially when several players ended up getting NFL looks, and especially 2 or 3 O linemen ended up on NFL camp rosters. The biggest problem was coaching. This includes everything from practice (not focusing on fundamentals), game prep, bad play calling, very poor motivation, lackluster, lackadaisical attitude, and limiting the abilities of the best players to perform. We have Chizik last year and it's a toss-up as to whether us or Nebraska wins the North.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you with the biggest weakness being talent. The talent was there, especially when several players ended up getting NFL looks, and especially 2 or 3 O linemen ended up on NFL camp rosters. The biggest problem was coaching. This includes everything from practice (not focusing on fundamentals), game prep, bad play calling, very poor motivation, lackluster, lackadaisical attitude, and limiting the abilities of the best players to perform. We have Chizik last year and it's a toss-up as to whether us or Nebraska wins the North.

Wow..........just wow.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bear Freaking Bryant couldn't have gotten more than 4 or 5 wins out of last year's team. Do you really think playcalling was the reason we were getting our heads kicked in week after week? Don't confuse "talented players" with "overall talent level/depth."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I wonder if any other coach would have let Nebraska throw a touchdown bomb at the end of the half to take over the game? I don't think so. Coaching had a lot to do with our losses in my view. Why else the consistant losses in OT? You have to believe you can win those. We did not.