Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

Bad Grades/Early Dismissal may be a problem

Look at what the NCAA is cooking up. This could have some immediate impact on Clones if passed due to so many people leaving early:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2537617

This may affect 2007-08 season.

And ESPN has a football poll question on who will win the Big 12. Vote OTHER. Nebraska was picked by 18% of the people. Booooo. Oklahoma by 14%. Texas is at 52%. Colorado at 4%. Clones are OTHER. OTHER is 12%. Vote for the best. Vote OTHER. At least light up state of Iowa for other than Texas on the map. That shoul;d take only about 50-100 votes by us since there are only 24k nationwide votes so far. Those darn Squakeye fans.

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncf/in...ollNCF_CollNCF

Last edited by Wesley; 08-03-2006 at 11:15 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1
    Does anyone really care what student athletes grades are? I mean really.
    There are going to be a few of you guys who say "yes" I want me team to be good students, but how many actual people really care about Curvey's GPA? Was there a lot of people awake last night hoping that Blythe would get a 3.25 this year?

What is the current APR rules for football? Because if we lose 1 scholly in BBall is about the same as 7 in football. Approx 8%ish.

I think the NCAA is doing the right think I just hope they don't go too far. As long as athletes show up for most of their classes and somewhat try is all I care.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Does anyone really care what student athletes grades are? I mean really.
    There are going to be a few of you guys who say "yes" I want me team to be good students, but how many actual people really care about Curvey's GPA? Was there a lot of people awake last night hoping that Blythe would get a 3.25 this year?
    I care. I'm not going to lose sleep over an individual players GPA, but I expect each team to have an overall GPA that is at or above ISU's overall undergrad GPA. I'm a firm believer that good players and good students aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what I think of the APR calculation. It sounds like a nice concept to give points for players staying eligible and players not transferring. But in the end, I'm not sure they will encourage the primary behaviors the NCAA is trying to promote, which IMO is graduation, academic progress and GPA. I realize player transfers is an issue the NCAA doesn't like, but how is ISU to blame for Evanovich, Taggart, Carr and Degand deciding to transfer?

IMO the NCAA should allow all student athletes 5 years of play. Get rid of the whole redshirting concept and just let kids play for 5 years. However, I would make sure that for kids to play they must pass 25 credits each year and those credits must count toward their degree program. I would also implement a minimum cumulative GPA requirement of 2.25%