Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

Iowa Game Analysis

Note: This will be an attempt of honest, non-biased assessment, however, this is coming from a cyclone fanatic so take that in mind.

Overall:
    The talent level, as expected, is not even close. Pure athleticism alone would allow Iowa to dominate this game and its outcome.

Offense:
    Adam Robinson is a very impressive runner between the tackles. He has shown the ability to break numerous arm tackles. Not seeing Hampton play, it seems like Iowa has a nice 1-2 punch here. I am assuming JH is more of the quick back while AR is the in between tackle pounder.

The ISU take: The ISU front 7 need to take the lessons learned from Game #1 and
    Chad Spann and put it to good use. Bring the whole body, swarm to
    the ball, and take good angles. Stopping him in the backfield will be
    key.

Iowa Offensive line is really hard to evaluate. I think they probably see tougher competition in practice against there 2s. Still they look very young, and vulnerable to pressure from different locations (evident by EIU sack in 2nd quarter). Also, much of Robinson's yardage has come from missed tackles, and yards after contact. Also pretty evident they are confused on some line calls on pass protection.

The ISU angle: This will be something ISU will need to game plan. With the lack
    of pressure from the front four, it will be essential to disrupt Ricki
    Stanzi's rhythm. No one can deny he is prone to bad decisions,
    especially when hurried. I really feel this is an area we can focus
    on to equalize our chances. I know Hawks will talk about KFs
    ability to coach up OLs, but its takes time to gel, time to
    communicate line calls, and identify different blitz schemes.
    They don't get that in practice or in competition like EIU.

Iowa QB & WRs -- sigh of relief for Hawk fans with Stanzi injury? I have always thought RS puts a nice spin on the ball (i.e. throws a nice ball an easier for WRs to catch). He definitely is at his best when the run is working, and play-action is available. Very impressed with the WR unit (McNutt, CS, DJK). Leonard and Terran need to bring their A game, as these guys are talented. It will be essential for bringing pressure and allowing Sims some freedom to help with run support. Weaknesses are very evident in RS when hurried. Like AA, he tends to make bad decisions in his check downs, forces bad throws, and footwork suffers.

The ISU Angle: A key will be eliminating the play action. If you are able to
    control down and distance -- forcing 2 and 8 , 3 and greater
    than 6 or 7, the game changes in your favor. Forcing Stanzi into
    operating empty backfield formations will increase chances of
    winning 10-fold.

Defense:

Iowa Front 4: That front four is a beast. Enough said. However, I thought they would create more penetration in the backfield. They do a nice job of filling gaps and allowing the young LBs to fill and tackle. It makes the job a lot easier for the LBs and SS to help with run support.

ISU angle: No doubt this is the area that will be fun to watch. Can KO and the
    and the boys neutralize this front four? If they can this will force
    these young LBs to play. If the run game can get established, this
    makes the LBs and safeties have to help with run support. Hence,
    placing more pressure on the DBs (Hyde looks very vulnerable).

Iowa LBs: They have played well, seem to move to the ball. Again, difficult to assess due to the very inferior talent they are playing. Simply not able to evaluate their play because of the competition.

ISU angle: Make them play!! Lets see how they fight off blocks, how they cover
    slots, TEs, and RBs with D1 talent. This will be interesting to see
    the match up with Collin franklin and A-Rob. I think we have some
    mismatches here to take advantage of.

Iowa Secondary: Very impressed with both Sash and Greenwood. Very aggressive to the ball. Placed some nice pops on slot screens and WR bubble screens. However, pretty easy to attack the run when you have no threat of pass. Plenty of 3rd and longs to pin your ears back and go. With that said, not very impressed with the corners. They are a liability. Have been beat deep twice by EIU receivers. They are lucky front four provides excellent pressure, because these guys are not good.

ISU angle: This is all on AA. Last year Sash became an All-American thanks to
    AA's poor decisions. Iowa will give you certain coverages to take
    advantage of, they count on you getting greedy or impatient. Norm
    relies on that front four getting pressure, so that he can keep every-
    one else in coverage forcing underneath throws. His defense bends,
    and is opportunistic (sound familiar). AA will have to be patient.
    If the O-line can give AA some time, aka if we can run and they have
    to respect run responsibilities, this puts more pressure on the one
    obvious weakness to this defensive unit the cover corners.

Again, these are just opinions, please feel free to agree or disagree. However, lets not get derogatory or rude. Lets just talk some good football. I hope the Clones win, but have no delusions that it is a given. I really would like a competitive close game that we can take a lot of positives going into this gauntlet of a schedule.

CloneSolo

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: Iowa Game Analysis

excellent analysis, i agree with pretty much everything. Honestly i feel better about next weeks game now then i did before iowa played, there are definitely things ISU can take advantage of

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 428

Clayborn vs KO will be amazing to watch. It will be worth a DVR just to go back and watch those two every down.

Most likely the other side of the Iowa line will have a day against our R side of the Oline.

Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 280

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Note: This will be an attempt of honest, non-biased assessment, however, this is coming from a cyclone fanatic so take that in mind.

Overall:
    The talent level, as expected, is not even close. Pure athleticism alone would allow Iowa to dominate this game and its outcome.

Offense:
    Adam Robinson is a very impressive runner between the tackles. He has shown the ability to break numerous arm tackles. Not seeing Hampton play, it seems like Iowa has a nice 1-2 punch here. I am assuming JH is more of the quick back while AR is the in between tackle pounder.

The ISU take: The ISU front 7 need to take the lessons learned from Game #1 and
    Chad Spann and put it to good use. Bring the whole body, swarm to
    the ball, and take good angles. Stopping him in the backfield will be
    key.

Iowa Offensive line is really hard to evaluate. I think they probably see tougher competition in practice against there 2s. Still they look very young, and vulnerable to pressure from different locations (evident by EIU sack in 2nd quarter). Also, much of Robinson's yardage has come from missed tackles, and yards after contact. Also pretty evident they are confused on some line calls on pass protection.

The ISU angle: This will be something ISU will need to game plan. With the lack
    of pressure from the front four, it will be essential to disrupt Ricki
    Stanzi's rhythm. No one can deny he is prone to bad decisions,
    especially when hurried. I really feel this is an area we can focus
    on to equalize our chances. I know Hawks will talk about KFs
    ability to coach up OLs, but its takes time to gel, time to
    communicate line calls, and identify different blitz schemes.
    They don't get that in practice or in competition like EIU.

Iowa QB & WRs -- sigh of relief for Hawk fans with Stanzi injury? I have always thought RS puts a nice spin on the ball (i.e. throws a nice ball an easier for WRs to catch). He definitely is at his best when the run is working, and play-action is available. Very impressed with the WR unit (McNutt, CS, DJK). Leonard and Terran need to bring their A game, as these guys are talented. It will be essential for bringing pressure and allowing Sims some freedom to help with run support. Weaknesses are very evident in RS when hurried. Like AA, he tends to make bad decisions in his check downs, forces bad throws, and footwork suffers.

The ISU Angle: A key will be eliminating the play action. If you are able to
    control down and distance -- forcing 2 and 8 , 3 and greater
    than 6 or 7, the game changes in your favor. Forcing Stanzi into
    operating empty backfield formations will increase chances of
    winning 10-fold.

Defense:

Iowa Front 4: That front four is a beast. Enough said. However, I thought they would create more penetration in the backfield. They do a nice job of filling gaps and allowing the young LBs to fill and tackle. It makes the job a lot easier for the LBs and SS to help with run support.

ISU angle: No doubt this is the area that will be fun to watch. Can KO and the
    and the boys neutralize this front four? If they can this will force
    these young LBs to play. If the run game can get established, this
    makes the LBs and safeties have to help with run support. Hence,
    placing more pressure on the DBs (Hyde looks very vulnerable).

Iowa LBs: They have played well, seem to move to the ball. Again, difficult to assess due to the very inferior talent they are playing. Simply not able to evaluate their play because of the competition.

ISU angle: Make them play!! Lets see how they fight off blocks, how they cover
    slots, TEs, and RBs with D1 talent. This will be interesting to see
    the match up with Collin franklin and A-Rob. I think we have some
    mismatches here to take advantage of.

Iowa Secondary: Very impressed with both Sash and Greenwood. Very aggressive to the ball. Placed some nice pops on slot screens and WR bubble screens. However, pretty easy to attack the run when you have no threat of pass. Plenty of 3rd and longs to pin your ears back and go. With that said, not very impressed with the corners. They are a liability. Have been beat deep twice by EIU receivers. They are lucky front four provides excellent pressure, because these guys are not good.

ISU angle: This is all on AA. Last year Sash became an All-American thanks to
    AA's poor decisions. Iowa will give you certain coverages to take
    advantage of, they count on you getting greedy or impatient. Norm
    relies on that front four getting pressure, so that he can keep every-
    one else in coverage forcing underneath throws. His defense bends,
    and is opportunistic (sound familiar). AA will have to be patient.
    If the O-line can give AA some time, aka if we can run and they have
    to respect run responsibilities, this puts more pressure on the one
    obvious weakness to this defensive unit the cover corners.

Again, these are just opinions, please feel free to agree or disagree. However, lets not get derogatory or rude. Lets just talk some good football. I hope the Clones win, but have no delusions that it is a given. I really would like a competitive close game that we can take a lot of positives going into this gauntlet of a schedule.

CloneSolo
    That's a great post right there. Thanks for sharing.