Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

Turn arounds with new coaches

Another thread was trying to break down our Ws and Ls this year. I really don't have a good feeling either way. With our schedule it could be anywhere from 3-8 to .500. However if Chizik is for real, the results will be noticeable this season. If any new coach is really capable of taking his team to the proverbial next level, the impacts will be apparent sooner rather than later. We may lose games, but likely not with embarrassing blow outs. Comparisons to last year are questionable because of the coaching staff and the fact that they lost the players outside of the "win one for Mac" Mizzou game. My perception is that we may be in for a pleasant surprise and make a rebound sooner than most think.

Here is a look at other teams with new coaches who took those teams to heights we are striving to achieve. You could make an argument that they had better resources in place, but several of these teams where worse off than we are now in terms of talent, tradition and infrastructure.

California - New coach Jeff Tedford - Hired 2002, BCS game (Rose) withing 3 years. Previous coach - Tom Holmoe 5 year winning percentage .291

Northwestern - New coach Gary Barnett. Hired 1992. Rose Bowl within 3 years. Previous coach Francis Peay. 6 year winning percentage .212

Wisconsin - New coach Barry Alvarez. Hired 1990. Rose Bowl within 3 years. Previous coach - Don Morton. 3 year winning percentage .182

Maryland
    - New coach Ralph Friedgen. Hired 2001. BCS Orange Bowl same year. Previous coach Ron Vanderlinden. 4 year winning percentage .341.

Miami - New coach Howard Schnellenberger. Hired 1979. Orange Bowl & National Championship 4 years later. 5 previous coaches since 1970 combined winning percentage .375.

Kansas State - New coach Bill Snyder. Hired 1989. 11 straight bowl games from 93-03 including several New Years Day Bowls. Previoius coaches winning percentage no better than .388 since 1960.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Re: Turn arounds with new coaches

The first two years are generally hard to predict. If a coach is worth his salt you should see major improvement by the 3rd year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 377

Let's not forget the big time turnaround Hayden Fox did at small-time Minnesota State. The Screamin' Eagles went from nobodies to national champs... Oh wait - that was Coach, not real life.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Let's not forget the big time turnaround Hayden Fox did at small-time Minnesota State. The Screamin' Eagles went from nobodies to national champs... Oh wait - that was Coach, not real life.
    I'm still mad at him for leaving to coach the Orlando Breakers. And he took Luther and Dobber with him!

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

He completely ruined the Eagles by leaving. Haven't heard about them since. I've even lost the Screamin Eagles sweatshirt I had in Middle school. Sad really...sad that i actually had that sweatshirt.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    He completely ruined the Eagles by leaving. Haven't heard about them since. I've even lost the Screamin Eagles sweatshirt I had in Middle school. Sad really...sad that i actually had that sweatshirt.
    my shirts...

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Recruit
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    California - New coach Jeff Tedford - Hired 2002, BCS game (Rose) withing 3 years. Previous coach - Tom Holmoe 5 year winning percentage .291
    Cal ended up in the Holiday Bowl in 2004, as Texas took the Rose spot by BCS decimal points. Your point is well taken though.

Three more for you...

Alabama finished 0-10 in 1955, 2-7-1 in 1956 and 2-7-1 in 1957. To add insult to injury, Auburn won the MNC in 1957.

Enter coach Bryant who went 5-4-1 in 1958, 7-2-2 (Liberty Bowl) in 1959, 8-1-2 (Bluebonnet Bowl) in 1960 and 11-0 (Sugar Bowl, SEC and MNC Champions) in 1961.

Florida State finished 0-11 in 1973, 1-10 in 1974 and 3-8 in 1975.

Enter Bobby Bowden who went 5-6 in 1976, 10-2 (Tangerine Bowl) in 1977, 8-3 in 1978 and (11-1) (Orange Bowl) in 1979.

Iowa before Hayden Fry...17 consecutive non-winning seasons.

Enter Hayden Fry...(5-6) in 1978, (4-7) in 1979 and (8-4) (Rose Bowl) in 1980.

:)

Ala

Last edited by AlaCyclone; 06-19-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Coach, now that was a good show. Anyone recall the episode where they played Iowa?

Anywho...on the original post - I give you credit for some nice homework, assuming you did the research. Great points.

I still contend we won't see changes in the win column this year yet I don't expect to be completely embarrassed like we were in many games last season.

If Chizik can do what the coaches listed have done, we'll be a bunch of very, very happy fans.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Coach was a great show. Wasn't the Hayden character somewhat based off Hayden Fry originally or something? For some reason I was thinking that...

Anyway, I agree. This year I don't see a significant improvement in W/L and I think year 3 of the Chizik era is when you'll see the greatest improvement. By then he'll have mostly all his recruits and have a system firmly in place. If he's the real deal then 2009 could be a bright season. Just like McDermott. We didn't see much in the W/L totals this year but the improvment was noticible. This year I think we'll see some more wins but the 3rd year when all these new recruits have had a year in the system I think you'll really see some good basketball being played. This has the makings to be a very special class coming in potential-wise. Brackins Steiger and Garrett are 3 guys along with Wesley Johnson who could make up a pretty well-rounded team.

Recruit
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Coach was a great show. Wasn't the Hayden character somewhat based off Hayden Fry originally or something? For some reason I was thinking that...

Anyway, I agree. This year I don't see a significant improvement in W/L and I think year 3 of the Chizik era is when you'll see the greatest improvement. By then he'll have mostly all his recruits and have a system firmly in place. If he's the real deal then 2009 could be a bright season. Just like McDermott. We didn't see much in the W/L totals this year but the improvment was noticible. This year I think we'll see some more wins but the 3rd year when all these new recruits have had a year in the system I think you'll really see some good basketball being played. This has the makings to be a very special class coming in potential-wise. Brackins Steiger and Garrett are 3 guys along with Wesley Johnson who could make up a pretty well-rounded team.
    I actually think that ISU will win more games than expected this year due to Meyer and Blythe. Having a senior four year starter at QB will definitely help smooth out some of the rough edges.

Ala

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Ahh.. nothing like a good Craig T. Nelson reference.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by AlaCyclone View Post
    I actually think that ISU will win more games than expected this year due to Meyer and Blythe. Having a senior four year starter at QB will definitely help smooth out some of the rough edges.

Ala
    It's a great thought...yet these two can't block defensive linemen and linebackers. Neither of them play defense. And, they're not kicking field goals for us either.

If we had guys of Meyer and Blythe's talent at most positions - heck - even half of them - expectations would be a lot different this fall.

Fact is, we don't have that kind of talent, yet.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think the original writers/developers of the show had a complete iowa lovefest - might have been iowa grads or something. Hayden Fox was named from hayden fry and I think many of the campus shots were actually shots of the iowa campus.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I think the original writers/developers of the show had a complete iowa lovefest - might have been iowa grads or something. Hayden Fox was named from hayden fry and I think many of the campus shots were actually shots of the iowa campus.
    Barry Kemp, the show's producer, is a University of Iowa alum who modeled the protagonist of "Coach" after Fry. He apparently approached Hayden Fry and offered him a royalty, buy Fry turned him down. Fry has said that, in retrospect, he would have accepted the offer if he had known how successful the show would become.

DaddyMac, you're right that some of the exterior shots were filmed at the Iowa campus in Iowa City. I was living in Cedar Rapids when the show first started, and I remember the local news media making a big deal out of Hollywood film crews shooting exterior footage at the campus.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok this thread has been officially hijacked by "Coach." But if the show really loved Iowa, they couldn't control who won the contest to record the Theme song to the show.

That honor was earned by non other than the Iowa State Marching Band!