Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Quad Cities Question

    My wife and I will be passing through the Quad Cities on the way back from Chicago on Saturday night and want to know where I should look to stay. Which of the four cities would be better to get a hotel with nice places to eat and such around it and a mall in case she wants to look around. I don't want to just book off the net and find that I picked the worst area. Those of you that are from or know the area well, can I get some good advice where to book a hotel. Thanks!


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 23,909, Level: 47
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    23,909
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    My wife and I will be passing through the Quad Cities on the way back from Chicago on Saturday night and want to know where I should look to stay. Which of the four cities would be better to get a hotel with nice places to eat and such around it and a mall in case she wants to look around. I don't want to just book off the net and find that I picked the worst area. Those of you that are from or know the area well, can I get some good advice where to book a hotel. Thanks!

    Brady Street exit off I-80 in Davenport.

    There are several hotels, restaurants, and a mall about 2 miles south of the interstate.


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Any suggestions for local restaurants that are different and good. Something priced like an Applebee's that won't break the bank?


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    There is a Ruby Tuesday's in Davenport. We've been there before with friends - good food and had a great time.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 479,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,124
    Points
    479,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Let's see...

    If you're gonna take the advice and stay at the I-80/US 61 interchange, I'd stick with the Best Western there. The other hotels IMO look kinda skeevy and I wouldn't necessarily be completely comfortable at many of those hotels. Plus that interchange is just north and east of Americana Park, a rougher area of town. Personally, I'd trust the I-74 corridor on the Davenport/Bettendorf border. Many more "nicer" hotels and restaurants as well. Hotels on this corridor include Holiday Inn (on the Locust St/Middle Rd exit), Days Inn, Super 8, The Lodge, Heartland Inn (what I'd recommend), and The Courtyard (on the Kimberly Rd/Spruce Hills Dr/U.S. 6 West exit), and Sleep Inn (on the 53rd St exit). As far as decent restaurants on that corridor, Bennigans and The Grinders (on the Locust St/Middle Rd Exit), Old Chicago (which is MUCH better than Ames), Red Lobster, Applebees, Panera (on the Kimberly Rd/Spruce Hills Dr/U.S. 6 exit), IHOP, Village Inn, Fuddrucker's, Golden Corral, Ruby Tuesday, Chili's, and Granite City (on the 53rd St. exit). Quite Honestly, there are more and much nicer choices along the I-74 corridor than anywhere on either I-80 or I-280. Plus, in Davenport, virtually all locations are 2 miles from NorthPark Mall.

    I also recommend, if you have the time, checking out a Whitey's Ice Cream joint while you're in town. There's one one 53rd St and Jersey Ridge Rd. Trust me, it's quite an experience...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 23,909, Level: 47
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    23,909
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Any suggestions for local restaurants that are different and good. Something priced like an Applebee's that won't break the bank?
    Not sure about restaurants since I'm not actually from there. My great aunt and uncle lived on Brady Street, therefore, I was familiar with the corridor.

    The hotels are: Best Western, Holiday Inn, AmericInn, Heartland, Baymont, Super 8, Days Inn, Motel 6, Residence Inn, and the ever popular Casa Loma.

    According to Google Earth, restaurants are: Thunder Bay Grill, Great Midwest Seafood Co., Lone Star Steakhouse ($$$$), Olive Garden, Azteca, etc.

    a few miles to the east off I-74, there is a Red Lobster, Old Chicago, Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, and Ruby Tuesday


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 23,909, Level: 47
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    23,909
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Let's see...

    If you're gonna take the advice and stay at the I-80/US 61 interchange, I'd stick with the Best Western there. The other hotels IMO look kinda skeevy and I wouldn't necessarily be completely comfortable at many of those hotels. Plus that interchange is just north and east of Americana Park, a rougher area of town. Personally, I'd trust the I-74 corridor on the Davenport/Bettendorf border. Many more "nicer" hotels and restaurants as well. Hotels on this corridor include Holiday Inn (on the Locust St/Middle Rd exit), Days Inn, Super 8, The Lodge, Heartland Inn (what I'd recommend), and The Courtyard (on the Kimberly Rd/Spruce Hills Dr/U.S. 6 West exit), and Sleep Inn (on the 53rd St exit). As far as decent restaurants on that corridor, Bennigans and The Grinders (on the Locust St/Middle Rd Exit), Old Chicago (which is MUCH better than Ames), Red Lobster, Applebees, Panera (on the Kimberly Rd/Spruce Hills Dr/U.S. 6 exit), IHOP, Village Inn, Fuddrucker's, Golden Corral, Ruby Tuesday, Chili's, and Granite City (on the 53rd St. exit). Quite Honestly, there are more and much nicer choices along the I-74 corridor than anywhere on either I-80 or I-280. Plus, in Davenport, virtually all locations are 2 miles from NorthPark Mall.

    I also recommend, if you have the time, checking out a Whitey's Ice Cream joint while you're in town. There's one one 53rd St and Jersey Ridge Rd. Trust me, it's quite an experience...
    I'd go with his advice!!!


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  8. #8
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    I'm originally from Bettendorf. Go with the 1-74 corridor.....Spruce Hills Drive area. There is shopping somewhat close for the wife, gambling boat if you're interested, etc. Great places to eat..... whether sit down or fast food....like Happy Joes, Rudy's Tacos, etc. Go with a trip to Whitey's Ice Cream as well....best in the nation.



  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 6,609, Level: 24
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    cyQlone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    202
    Points
    6,609
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Get Whitey's Ice Cream!!!



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 479,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,124
    Points
    479,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    Not sure about restaurants since I'm not actually from there. My great aunt and uncle lived on Brady Street, therefore, I was familiar with the corridor.

    The hotels are: Best Western, Holiday Inn, AmericInn, Heartland, Baymont, Super 8, Days Inn, Motel 6, Residence Inn, and the ever popular Casa Loma.

    According to Google Earth, restaurants are: Thunder Bay Grill, Great Midwest Seafood Co., Lone Star Steakhouse ($$$$), Olive Garden, Azteca, etc.

    a few miles to the east off I-74, there is a Red Lobster, Old Chicago, Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, and Ruby Tuesday
    That Holiday Inn is a great choice, except it's not a Holiday Inn anymore - it's a Clarion Inn. I think.

    I forgot about the Heartland and Baymont on Brady St., those are decent hotel as well.

    I also forgot about Texas Roadhouse and Red Robin (I knew I was forgetting some, and T.R. is one of my faves) , that's on the 53rd St. interchange.

    Helps that I've lived in the area for the last 25 years and I've seen the I-74 corridor explode over the last 15 years.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 479,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,124
    Points
    479,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Too bad I'm on my way to New Orleans to help with Hurricane Katrina rebuilding efforts on Saturday or I'd give you a personal guided tour!


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Can't go wrong with the Texas Roadhouse. We've been to the one in CR a couple of times and the one in DSM a lot. Love their prime rib.

    And...if 16oz of prime rib isn't enough, they'll cut ya a bigger slab.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 479,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,124
    Points
    479,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Also, if you get in early and are a little on the "bored" side, Showcase Cinemas are on the I-74/53rd St. interchange. It's on the pricey side ($9 a ticket), so if there's a movie you're dying to see that's an option.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 58,398, Level: 74
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,589
    Points
    58,398
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 92

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    If you want to avoid the chain restaurants there is a great place right off of the Highway 61 and I-80 intersection. It's called Thunder Bay Gril an dit has great food. Maybe a tadd higher priced than an Appelbees or Chilis but great entrees. Lots of hotels in the area. If you you wan tot score points with mom there is a steakhouse right next to the President casino. I can't remember the name but it is just north of casino and is easy to see. The food there is first rate. Good luck.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 479,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,124
    Points
    479,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

    Re: Quad Cities Question

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    If you want to avoid the chain restaurants there is a great place right off of the Highway 61 and I-80 intersection. It's called Thunder Bay Gril an dit has great food. Maybe a tadd higher priced than an Appelbees or Chilis but great entrees. Lots of hotels in the area. If you you wan tot score points with mom there is a steakhouse right next to the President casino. I can't remember the name but it is just north of casino and is easy to see. The food there is first rate. Good luck.
    Thunder Bay restaurant is a really good restaurant, but technically it is a Midwestern chain. It's part of the same owner group that owns the Machine Shed and Johnny's Steakhouse. By the way, if you're dying for the Machine Shed, we have one of those just off the I-80/Northwest Blvd interchange. It's a really great restaurant, but it's clear across town and unless you're dying for it or are staying on the U.S. 61 corridor or have quick access to I-80 it's not really worth the trip, especially since there's one in Des Moines.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM