Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,225, Level: 28
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    275
    Points
    9,225
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Fanatics,

    Here's a feature I wrote about Jake Knott and the Iowa State defense. It was the seventh time the Cyclones have held an opponent to 14 points or less in their last 12 games.

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/football/cyclones-defense-answers-the-call


    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 28,414, Level: 51
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cygrads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,974
    Points
    28,414
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by IanSmith View Post
    Fanatics,

    Here's a feature I wrote about Jake Knott and the Iowa State defense. It was the seventh time the Cyclones have held an opponent to 14 points or less in their last 12 games.

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/football/cyclones-defense-answers-the-call
    Nice write-up and good stat (bold) - I can't wait for this defense to get more experience because they are solid already.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 391,415, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,130
    Points
    391,415
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    The tackling must be much better. However Wegher and Shonn Green are gone and that will help.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 36,419, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    clonomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    36,419
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    Nice write-up and good stat (bold) - I can't wait for this defense to get more experience because they are solid already.
    The defense is good against the run game. NOT so much against the pass game though. The pass defense HAS TO improve. If Grady connected with his receiver with better throws, NIU wins this game. Our pass defense wasn't that good AT ALL.


    WE ARE IOWA STATE

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 312,321, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    18,113
    Points
    312,321
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 932

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    The defense is good against the run game. NOT so much against the pass game though. The pass defense HAS TO improve. If Grady connected with his receiver with better throws, NIU wins this game. Our pass defense wasn't that good AT ALL.

    Good grief. They gave up 93 yards and had 3 INTs. The pass defense was fine.

    The receivers were open down the field because they were taking away the short stuff because they knew Grady couldn't throw a deep ball.

    That, and Sims will be back next week.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 97,079, Level: 97
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,971
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,930
    Points
    97,079
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 37

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    The defense is good against the run game. NOT so much against the pass game though. The pass defense HAS TO improve. If Grady connected with his receiver with better throws, NIU wins this game. Our pass defense wasn't that good AT ALL.

    In truth though, that was our defensive scheme. The announcers on TV made mention of it more than once. Our safeties were way up and we were crowding the line. We knew they had a great running game and a mediocre passing game. Make them beat you in the air, because it's doubtful they'll be able to.

    the one thing that disappointed me still though was our pass rush. We've got to find a way to get more pressure.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 36,419, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    clonomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    36,419
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    In truth though, that was our defensive scheme. The announcers on TV made mention of it more than once. Our safeties were way up and we were crowding the line. We knew they had a great running game and a mediocre passing game. Make them beat you in the air, because it's doubtful they'll be able to.

    the one thing that disappointed me still though was our pass rush. We've got to find a way to get more pressure.
    I hope that was the case. Against Iowa, We better have a good pass defense just as much as a good run defense. Iowa will try to hurt us both ways.


    WE ARE IOWA STATE

  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,225, Level: 28
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    275
    Points
    9,225
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Guys,

    It looked like ISU was running its base defense most of the time last night. Do you think Wally was saving different looks and blitz packages for Iowa? I do.


    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

  9. #9
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 227,099, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,188
    Points
    227,099
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 332

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    I think Wally was trying to keep it conservative. But at the same time, probably not trying to overwhelm the newer players with a ton of different looks/packages. They will have to grow up a lot in the next 9 days.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 97,079, Level: 97
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,971
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,930
    Points
    97,079
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 37

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by IanSmith View Post
    Guys,

    It looked like ISU was running its base defense most of the time last night. Do you think Wally was saving different looks and blitz packages for Iowa? I do.
    I'm not trying to be a downer here, but I've heard this excuse every year in the 30+ years I've been a fan of this team. In a few cases, it was true, but most cases it was ISU doing what they could with what they have. ISU is going to have to find a way to defend a more balanced attack. Where I don't find Stanzi to be the world beater that the Hawkeye faithful think he is, he's definitely going to be better than we saw last night. Most importantly, as I said in my previous post, ISU is going to have to find a way to get pressure on opponents QBs. As well as playing a more disciplined game. Dumb mistakes cost the cyclones quite a few points last night.

    All in all though, I was actually impressed with what I saw last night. You can always look at the what ifs and say the outcome could have been a lot different. Hell, it's been the story of my life as a fan of this team. Bottom line is, ISU was in control of the game from the first posession. A few mistakes got them out of their rhythm, but when it counted, they put their nose to the grindstone and took control back. IMO, this is one of the best season openers I've seen ISU play in quite some time. Things were clicking and players were doing their jobs.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    I don't think we were holding things back but when you have a guy assigned to shadow the quarterback, you typically don't rush more than your front four so any pressure must come from those guys alone not blitzes. Now I agree we have to reduce the qb's time to throw, but I suspect that will continue to be an issue we have to deal with this year, similar to last year.

    Our defense wasn't perfect, but they showed signs of being a talented group who can have a good enough year to keep us in ballgames and allow the offense to win for us. I am more concerned about our running game, than I am anything else right now. There were way to many runs of little to no yards. While NIU may have a good defensive line, its not like we are going to find the dlines we face any easier, likely tougher in most of the games we play.


    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

  12. #12
    Publisher
    Points: 772,035, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,796
    Points
    772,035
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 501
    Given: 133

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Great writing Ian.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 21,772, Level: 45
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,618
    Points
    21,772
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    In truth though, that was our defensive scheme. The announcers on TV made mention of it more than once. Our safeties were way up and we were crowding the line. We knew they had a great running game and a mediocre passing game. Make them beat you in the air, because it's doubtful they'll be able to.

    the one thing that disappointed me still though was our pass rush. We've got to find a way to get more pressure.
    I thought the the D-line got some pressure in forcing the NIU QB to make hurried throws which led to mistakes, three of which ended up as INTs. Yes, I would love to see more than one sack per game, but if you can force the opposing QB into mistakes, then the D-line is doing its primary job IMO.


    P.J. Farmer rocks!

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 16,240, Level: 38
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,079
    Points
    16,240
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Sims will help the pass defense a lot. Northern Illinois QB was so terrible it's really hard to judge the defense. Next week will be a tough test, but if ISU can force Iowa to throw they'll have a chance. I actually think this isn't a bad match-up for ISU. The cyclones struggle more with good passing teams and Iowa is better at running the ball. If the D-line can get it done next week look for a big upset.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 21,772, Level: 45
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,618
    Points
    21,772
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

    Re: Smith: Cyclone defense answers the call

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a downer here, but I've heard this excuse every year in the 30+ years I've been a fan of this team. In a few cases, it was true, but most cases it was ISU doing what they could with what they have. ISU is going to have to find a way to defend a more balanced attack. Where I don't find Stanzi to be the world beater that the Hawkeye faithful think he is, he's definitely going to be better than we saw last night. Most importantly, as I said in my previous post, ISU is going to have to find a way to get pressure on opponents QBs. As well as playing a more disciplined game. Dumb mistakes cost the cyclones quite a few points last night.

    All in all though, I was actually impressed with what I saw last night. You can always look at the what ifs and say the outcome could have been a lot different. Hell, it's been the story of my life as a fan of this team. Bottom line is, ISU was in control of the game from the first posession. A few mistakes got them out of their rhythm, but when it counted, they put their nose to the grindstone and took control back. IMO, this is one of the best season openers I've seen ISU play in quite some time. Things were clicking and players were doing their jobs.
    +1


    P.J. Farmer rocks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM