Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Loney to coach Drake through December, 2007

DMR link

What began as a joke quickly became a facelift for Drake University.

Athletic director Sandy Hatfield Clubb called Steve Loney while he was boating on Table Rock Lake in Missouri, enjoying time away from football, to discuss the hiring of a replacement for former coach Rob Ash.

"I just jokingly busted the question to him, 'Why don't you step out of retirement and help me for a season?' " Hatfield Clubb said.

Little did Hatfield Clubb know Loney would take his friend's playful plea seriously.

"Now, had it been Joe Schmo I would have opened up another Diet Coke and taken another run around the lake," Loney said. "Certainly the fact that she was calling meant something. I know of her sincerity.

"She called me during the Drake Relays, and so our friendship and our relationship had nothing to do with football and I knew how she felt about Drake and this athletic department."

Less than two weeks later, Loney emerged as the Bulldogs' interim head coach, announced Monday at a news conference on the Drake campus. He takes over for Ash, who coached Drake for 18 years before being named coach of Montana State.

"I'm familiar way back with Chuck Shelton and the great tradition that goes with Drake football," said Loney, 55.

He became friends with Hatfield Clubb through his daughter, Kylan, who played basketball at Arizona State at the same time Hatfield Clubb was an assistant athletic director there.

"I'm in a position that you don't always envy, in that I was out of work," he said.

"I can fill this position with the same enthusiasm as I had every job I had."

Loney, a former Iowa State assistant coach and Marshalltown native, most recently served as offensive line coach for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals. He was released after former Cardinal coach Dennis Green was fired last season.

Loney said the Cardinals still are paying off his contract. He wasn't specific about his financial arrangement with Drake.

"That's another thing that made the transition a little easier," Loney said. "It's not a whole lot (what Drake is paying me), but the Cardinals make up the difference."

Drake, a private university, is not required by law to reveal financial information such as salaries of all athletic officials.

Loney is Drake's third straight football coach with direct Iowa ties. Ash is a native of Des Moines and played quarterback at Cornell College. His predecessor, Nick Quartaro, was an assistant coach at Iowa State and was Iowa's kicker for three seasons.

"It would be very challenging to bring somebody in that doesn't know and understand Drake and doesn't understand the state of Iowa," Hatfield Clubb said.

Loney's interim status is good through December, when both parties will decide how to proceed. Hatfield Clubb said she'd like to have a permanent head coach around the first of December.

Former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney, Loney's boss during two his stints in Ames, thinks Drake's hiring is a logical choice.

"I'm really happy for him," McCarney said. "He brings a lot. He brings credibility. He bring success. He's a native Iowan, an Iowa State graduate. It's not like he's got to go in there and fix a mess. Rob's (built) a tremendous program, did a great job there."

Loney's experience trumps that of any other Pioneer Football League coach.

"With Steve Loney coming in here, it'll give instant recognition to a program that's been good for 18 years," said Drake booster and former player Jay Cookman, who played from 1956-60.

Scott Phaydavong, a three-time first-team Sports Network Mid-Major I-AA All-American, was glad to hear that Loney wouldn't dramatically change the football team's identity.

"He's going to try and run the ball and the run the ball good," Phaydavong said. "And that's what we've been doing my past three years here."

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: Loney to coach Drake through December, 2007

wow! Didn't see that one coming.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    "I'm really happy for him," McCarney said. "He brings a lot. He brings credibility. He bring success. He's a native Iowan, an Iowa State graduate. It's not like he's got to go in there and fix a mess. Rob's (built) a tremendous program, did a great job there."

Can't say you couldn't see the T word coming though...

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 242

Hatfield Clubb is doing a good job at Drake.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Can't say you couldn't see the T word coming though...
    Well if anyone knows tremendous, it's Dan the man. How many tremendous opponents kicked our *** over the years.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I wonder what Dan orders at IHOP?