Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Post Capital City League Report

Game 1: *Rahshon really hasn't changed since last season. He started the game with the high flying dunk, and that was pretty much the only thing he could get to fall down in the first half. Most his baskets came around the rim, despite shooting many mid range jumpers, which he could not get to fall. I think he has totally lost confidence in his outside jumper. The upside was his defense was still really strong, he really made Boozer take some tough off balance shots, and he was always talking on the floor as a leader.
    *Charles Boozer is not going to redshirt this year, he is going to get some important minutes this season. He has great form from beyond the arc, and has a nice little tear drop in the lane. He is a high energy player, that is very quick on defense, and he has some made hops.
    *Lucca Staiger is probably playing the best out of anybody in the league right now. IF HE DOES NOT START BY THE END OF THIS YEAR, BE SURPISED, VERY SURPRISED. He was draining threes left and right, and I counted at least 6 or 7 threes. His ball handling skills are superb, and he utilizes the screen very well. His signature move, is the crossover dribble and pullup jump shot from beyond the arc. He has great size for a SG, hes just as tall as Rahshon, and hes got some bulk to him as well...He does not look like a freshmen out there, He is really playing a level above everyone.
    *Clayton Vette (last name pronounced Veight) Clayton should also see some signficant playing time this season, and is a serious upgrade from Marsden. His shooting form is a thing of beauty, and he can consistently knock down 15 footers. His signature seemed to be, to get the ball in a post-up posistion, and then turn his body so he is facing the basket, then knock down the jumpshot. He also showed some nice baby hooks inside, and he held his ground well on defense.

Game 2: *I am really dissapointed about Mike Taylor, he was always yelling at somebody; the refs, his teammates, the other team, his coach. I know this is just supposed to be a practice league, Mike's attitude has not changed. He was trash talking the whole game. The positve side, he knocked down alot of jumpers and three pointers. He still had alot of turnover as expected...Basically nothing different than last year.
    *Craig Brackins did not get the ball that often (that comes with being on Taylors team), but you could definently see where the top 20 talent is coming from. He has a nice touch from beyond the arc, and from the midrange. He also has a nice left handed baby hook that is very effective. He had a couple of nice tomahawk slams, and I wouldn't say he is struggling to much, he just doesn't shoot as much as the other new players, give him some time. His game reminds me of Amare Stoudamire, very athletic, that can make you pay inside or outside.
    *Wesley Johnson is still a stud. He has the same smooth shot, and I have never noticed, his solid ballhandling and passing skills. He has built on some muscle, but still looks like a twig out there. And might I say, his dunks look twice as good when your actually 20 feet away, instead of watching it on the T.V.
    *Marcus Brister really dissapointed me, his ballhandling skills aren't to great, his jumpshot is inconsistent, and whenever he drove the lane, he got blocked or stripped away. He had a tough going in the first half, but in the second half he got some shots to fall.
    *Sean Haluska is going to see some significant minutes this year. He is a very athletic guard, that can hit the three consistently, and he has a nice floater in the lane. He is a tough minded, and it seemed like he always has a knack for the ball.

Sorry I didn't stay for game 3, but hopefully someone can add on to this thread.

Last edited by Goclones1727; 06-18-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Re: Capital City League Report

Nice report on Staiger. I think I've seen him on campus, and if that was him, then I completely agree -- he doesn't look like a freshman at all. Can't wait to see him and Brackins play.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I must have missed it, but why didn't Wes Eikmeier play this weekend?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 575
    Given: 405

He was at home washing his tights.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He might've, but Goclones only reported on the 2007 recruits.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I must have missed it, but why didn't Wes Eikmeier play this weekend?
    Are you thinking of the camp instead of the Cap City game?

Eikmeier is a 2008 recruit.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Heres my assessment from last night about the same go cyclones with some minor changes....
    RASHON...some big-time dunks but still struggled with his shot....He is a GREAT leader on the floor. I hope he has a good sr. year

Wes....was wes very solid

Staiger...most impressive recruit by far this kid can stroke...he will play A LOT

Boozer...I agree probably wont redshirt...very athletic and pretty mouthy

Vette...I was impressed this guy has good post moves and has some good size he has a chance to be a very good player

Brackins and Garrett...were solid but have some work to do...have a chance to be great

Mike T...hasnt changed too much but I dont think he was complaining that much and yelling at his team...mike bust his butt more than anyone in the whole league he was trying to get his team fired up...but still too many TO's although it is a summer league

Brister...ok at best

Haluska...he has a chance at some minutes

Barnes...pretty impressed didnt play all the great but its not easy for a HS freshmen to play with D-1 bball players and he held his own

Who is the Peterson kid???? He can shoot.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

For what itís worth, hereís a summary of my observations of our recruits from the Capitol City Basketball League games last night (June 17).

I was very pleasantly surprised by Lucca Staiger. I have to admit that I wasnít impressed with Staiger when I first looked at him. While he has good size for a guard, he doesnít appear to be extremely athletic Ė but donít let that fool you. Heís not fast, but heís very quick. He really anticipates very well. In fact, his court vision was amazing. Excellent passer, excellent ball handler, and he can fill it up from beyond the three. Heís got a great handle because heís got big hands. Heís not just a spot-up shooter, either. He can create shots for his teammates with his excellent ball handling and vision. This is going to sound weird, but he reminded me of Jeff Hornacek Ė someone who has an incredible basketball IQ. I think heís the kind of player whoís going to fit into Macís system extremely well.

I was also very pleasantly surprised by Sean Haluska. This boy is an athlete. Heís smaller and much more of a true guard than his brother, Adam. He really gets a lot of lift in his jump shot. In fact, he has a tendency to float when he shoots. But heís got excellent range. What impressed me the most, though, are his intangibles Ė his toughness and his competitiveness. You could tell that he wanted to guard Michael Taylor when nobody else on his team wanted anything to do with Micheal. Once again, I really think Mac is going to like Seanís overall game and his attitude. I could see Sean surprising a lot of folks this year with his playing time.

I really had mixed emotions about Boozer. He started off slow, but heated up as the game went on. I guess the thing that bothered me most about his game was his lack of discipline. He took some shots from WAY outside. And when he did something good, heíd give himself applause all the way down the floor. But I know this setting is like YMCA basketball, so I shouldnít be too critical about that sort of thing. Anyway, I have no doubt that Mac will instill discipline in his game very quickly this fall.

I was pleased with Clayton Vette. Heís a true post-player Ė very comfortable around the basket. You wonít see him trying to sneak out to the perimeter like Jiri used to do! He showed some nice post moves and also a soft jump shot from 15 feet. I canít wait to see how he develops under Macís guidance. I think he could be a real banger, much like Homan was for us a few years ago. He seems to have a great attitude. As is usually the case with big men, Iím guessing it will take a year or two for Clayton to really blossom, but I think that in a few years weíll look back and realize we got an incredible steal when we picked him up at the 11th hour.

Unfortunately, I wasnít able to focus much on Marcus Brister. From what little I saw, I really liked his body and his toughness. He seemed content to let the game come to him. He didnít try to force the action too much. Iíve got a feeling heís more comfortable in a structured game setting than this kind of summer league. I just didnít see enough of him to give much of an evaluation.

Craig Brackins arrived late. However, when he entered the game I really began to get excited. He didnít have a ton of points by halftime when I had to leave, but you could really see his potential. He seems to have the whole package Ė excellent post moves, nice fade away, and a very soft jump shot all the way out to 20 feet. And he brought a lot of oohs and aahs from the crown when he received an excellent pass and slammed it down in traffic. He wonít just play for us right away, heíll contribute significantly right away.

I didnít get to see Garret or Peterson play.

Michael Taylor was scary good. He just toyed with the guy from Drake who was trying to guard him and he basically scored at will. He was trash talking all night long. You can tell heís really in his environment when heís playing in a YMCA kind of league like this. Unfortunately, I really think our success this year will depend on whether he can get his act together off the court. If he can get out of the dog house and be a reliable team member this year, heís going to draw so much attention from the opponent that things will really open up for his teammates. Thatís a big IF, though.

Finally, Wesley Johnson and Rahshon Clark looked very good as well. NOBODY can run the floor and slam it home like Rahshon. And he continues to shoot the three well. If he can just develop his mid-range game and his ball handling, he will make millions. What I really liked about him last night, though, is that he was extremely unselfish (especially when you consider this is just a summer league). He scored plenty when his team needed it, but he was always looking to see if a teammate had a better shot.

Wesley was his usual smooth silky self. He knocked down some threes, had a few eye opening put-backs, and played an overall great game. He has nothing to prove and you can tell it. He just quietly beats you. If Mac can just inject a little nastiness in him, he can be one of the premier players in the league.

Overall, I was happy with what I saw yesterday. Iím really excited to see how this group develops. No doubt, weíll have to be patient early on with all the newcomers because theyíre so young and green, but I think they have the potential to develop into a very special group!

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Goclones1727 View Post
    *Lucca Staiger is probably playing the best out of anybody in the league right now. IF HE DOES NOT START BY THE END OF THIS YEAR, BE SURPISED, VERY SURPRISED. He was draining threes left and right, and I counted at least 6 or 7 threes. His ball handling skills are superb, and he utilizes the screen very well. His signature move, is the crossover dribble and pullup jump shot from beyond the arc. He has great size for a SG, hes just as tall as Rahshon, and hes got some bulk to him as well...He does not look like a freshmen out there, He is really playing a level above everyone.
    Lucca Staiger = Jimmy Chitwood?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

Mike Taylor trash talking in a pick-up game? Who would EVER do that?

I love watching his intensity during even pickup games.

I would advise just enjoying watching the guys trying to do cool moves and high flying dunks. Let the real basketball come during the season. This is a complete mess around to these guys, who love showing off when they can. Plus its great team building for chemistry.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wesley Johnson - a twig? Either you have really high expectations or you didn't get a good look. No he is no monster, but he has definition to his arms and is plenty big enough for Big XII ball. And he has definitely put on some mass since last year. Diante Garrett is a twig yes, but look again at Wesley when he is standing next to you.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

So from the 5 or so reports I've read about the cap city league... nobody seemed real impressed with Garrett...

then when I read Chris William's article it says this:

Bold Prediction of the Day

Diante Garrett will be the Cyclones' starting point guard next season. During three-on-two drills Saturday, Garrett hardly missed a shot. In addition, Garret scored 29 points during Friday night's Capital City League game in Des Moines. When it comes to an overall game, Garrett, a true freshman, just might be the best guard in the ISU program and he's never played a college game.

So nobody's impressed with a 29 pt outing??? Did he just take a TON of shots or was the final score 159 - 147???

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Playing basketball against him, we alaways knew Vette to be pronounce Vet-tee. Not Veight.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    So from the 5 or so reports I've read about the cap city league... nobody seemed real impressed with Garrett...

then when I read Chris William's article it says this:

Bold Prediction of the Day

Diante Garrett will be the Cyclones' starting point guard next season. During three-on-two drills Saturday, Garrett hardly missed a shot. In addition, Garret scored 29 points during Friday night's Capital City League game in Des Moines. When it comes to an overall game, Garrett, a true freshman, just might be the best guard in the ISU program and he's never played a college game.

So nobody's impressed with a 29 pt outing??? Did he just take a TON of shots or was the final score 159 - 147???
    Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what is the link the Chris Williams's article?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

See the Elite Camp Review thread.