Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,440, Level: 96
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    95,440
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    In their prime, who would have won the wrestling match, Sanderson or Gable? You wrestling gurus should have an opinion on who and why. I loyal ISU, but I'm not sure Cael could have handled Gable.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 11,303, Level: 32
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    657
    Points
    11,303
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Cael since he outweighs Gable by about 50 pounds.



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    312
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    If they were in the same weight class, I'd take Gable because of his strenght. It's a question that's fun to argue over drinks. It's like who would have won Ali or Joe Louis?



  4. #4
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Neither of them. The world would have been destroyed in the wake of Collegiate Wrestling awesomeness.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 6,911, Level: 24
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Tweedt4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    476
    Points
    6,911
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    cael, cause he never loses



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 64,889, Level: 79
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,561
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,424
    Points
    64,889
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedt4Cy View Post
    cael, cause he never loses
    Thats what I was thinking. How can you pick against a guy that didn't lose his collegiate career. Gotta give it to Cael, weights ignored.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  7. #7
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. How can you pick against a guy that didn't lose his collegiate career. Gotta give it to Cael, weights ignored.
    If we gotta look at it like this, we also have to take into consideration the popularity of the sport in each wrestler's prime. Gable wrestled when it was "cool" to be a wrestler, and Cael wrestled in a time when it was considered "gay" to be a wrestler. When Gable wrestled, you would have more wrestlers, thus making going undefeated more difficult. Also, the talent pool would likely be deeper as there would be more wrestlers to go against.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  8. #8
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    I love Cael, don't get me wrong, but I still hear stories about Joe Williams, who was a three time national champion having an earache, and trying to get out of practice to go to the doctor. Gable, who was pushing 50, but before the hip replacement surgery, at the time, told him he was pathetic, but he'd let him go to the doctor if he could take him down. So here is a national champion wrestler chasing a middle aged man around for like 30 minutes. Finally, Gable stopped told him to go to the doctor because he was disgusted that this champion wrestler couldn't take down an old man.

    Plus, I grew up in Waterloo, and there are some legendary Dan Gable fight stories still floating around from 40 years ago.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 8,246, Level: 27
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    386
    Points
    8,246
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    gable used to wrestle deer to the death becasue he coudnt find a worth adversary. Cael is badass no question but same weight class all things being equal Gable wins this one hands down. gable didnt give up a single offensive point in his olympic gold medal run that is unheard of. he had one laps in college when his head just wasnt in the game but and cael never lost focus in college. Again we are saying all things are equal both are focused both are in their prime gable wins 6-4.


    dan k

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 11,944, Level: 32
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cymaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    483
    Points
    11,944
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Quote Originally Posted by clones11 View Post
    he had one laps in college when his head just wasnt in the game but and cael never lost focus in college. Again we are saying all things are equal both are focused both are in their prime gable wins 6-4.
    I am by no means a wrestling fan, and I realize Gable went up against a guy that pretty much knew he would be wrestling Gable and studied and trained just to be him (and hell, maybe the same was for Cael, but it never got out to the public because Cael won). I question how you can say that a wrestler that is fighting for an undefeated college career "lost focus" in his last match.


    "I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

  11. #11
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    One thing that I am afraid to say on posts like this, is that Cael had a distinict advantage in college. Rarely, and 174 next season will be an exception, are the upper weights as deep as lower weights.

    What Cael did was amazing, unbelieveable, the whole bit. As great as he was, I am not sure that he could have gone undefeated if he wrestled 133, or whatever, because there were soooo many more tough opponents at those weights. Of course, I am not saying that he couldn't have, but, it would have definitely been tougher than it already was.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 253,483, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,383
    Points
    253,483
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 318

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Ditka would beat both of them...at the same time.



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 11,136, Level: 31
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Splendid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    543
    Points
    11,136
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Gable wrestled at the height of the cold war. The Russians in the 1972 Olympics had one objective, to beat Dan Gable, he didn't give up a single point. Gables legacy carries the weight of Essops Fable.

    Last winter when Gable was trying to shout down Sanderson in IC during a heated dual, Sanderson went nose to nose with him with absolutely no fear. Sanderson is the quite warrior and I am glad he is on our side.


    :) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 17,739, Level: 40
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Points
    17,739
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    One thing that I am afraid to say on posts like this, is that Cael had a distinict advantage in college. Rarely, and 174 next season will be an exception, are the upper weights as deep as lower weights.

    What Cael did was amazing, unbelieveable, the whole bit. As great as he was, I am not sure that he could have gone undefeated if he wrestled 133, or whatever, because there were soooo many more tough opponents at those weights. Of course, I am not saying that he couldn't have, but, it would have definitely been tougher than it already was.
    I have no idea if your depth argument is true, but even if it is correct I disagree with your conclusion . . . it is much harder for a freshman to win at the upper weight classes than it is at the lower weight classes. The fact that Cael did it at a heavy weight class is more impressive, not less.



  15. #15
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If Cael wrestled Gable, who would have won?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    I have no idea if your depth argument is true, but even if it is correct I disagree with your conclusion . . . it is much harder for a freshman to win at the upper weight classes than it is at the lower weight classes. The fact that Cael did it at a heavy weight class is more impressive, not less.

    Read the post, I didn't say win 4 titles, I said going undefeated.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM