Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 118,721, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,916
    Points
    118,721
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 161

    CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Four Iowa schools in the top 1,000 - based students taking advanced placement college-level courses and AP tests...

    375 Washington Cedar Rapids IA 2.592 30 33.7
    435 Kennedy Cedar Rapids IA 2.435 21 39.1
    922 Ames Ames IA 1.73 17 33.2
    975 Iowa City West Iowa City IA 1.679 21 30.9
    1419 Mid-Prairie Wellman IA 1.256 28 20
    1566 Valley West Des Moines IA 1.135 12 30


    America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,690, Level: 63
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,671
    Points
    41,690
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 1

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Four Iowa schools in the top 1,000 - based students taking advanced placement college-level courses and AP tests...

    375 Washington Cedar Rapids IA 2.592 30 33.7
    435 Kennedy Cedar Rapids IA 2.435 21 39.1
    922 Ames Ames IA 1.73 17 33.2
    975 Iowa City West Iowa City IA 1.679 21 30.9
    1419 Mid-Prairie Wellman IA 1.256 28 20
    1566 Valley West Des Moines IA 1.135 12 30


    America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek


    I would think Bondurant Farrar would be top 50
    Disappointed with this poll.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 87,119, Level: 91
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,179
    Points
    87,119
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    If Muscatine High School isn't on there, then it's rigged. We had our own daycare for the student's kids!


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  4. #4
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    736
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    stevenson high school should be higher, they are ranked 141, but they have

    72% of people taking ap classes
    98% of the people went to college
    the bottom 25% gpa is still at 3.0 unweighted
    80-90% average on people to score at least a 3 on the ap test all around the board
    the average act score is a 26 of 36, upper 75% is at 29
    75%-tile of the SAT is a 2160


    they smoked almost all the schools across the board on every academic achievement, and this is with a senior class of 1100 people, the average should be worse off for them



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 34,094, Level: 56
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,678
    Points
    34,094
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    as a CR Wash alum, I am proud to see my school listed, Wash is unique in that you had every socio-economic base covered but if they would include Drop out rate, I would guess it wouldn't fair quite as well. Doctors kids went to school with the welfare kids at Wash. Valley not surprising as well, my oldest will start Valley in a short 3 years - hope she has the ambition and vision to take advantage of all of the Academic opportunties available to her there as she prepares to carry on her legacy as the next true Cyclone!



  6. #6
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Four Iowa schools in the top 1,000 - based students taking advanced placement college-level courses and AP tests...

    375 Washington Cedar Rapids IA 2.592 30 33.7
    435 Kennedy Cedar Rapids IA 2.435 21 39.1
    922 Ames Ames IA 1.73 17 33.2
    975 Iowa City West Iowa City IA 1.679 21 30.9
    1419 Mid-Prairie Wellman IA 1.256 28 20
    1566 Valley West Des Moines IA 1.135 12 30


    America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek
    Proud alum '07! The best high school in the state!!! As always!!!



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    One thing this doesn't take into account that skews the rankings is taking college courses in high school. I think if you took this into account, the numbers would be a lot different. At my high school, we had 3 AP courses, if you wanted anything else advanced you took it at one of the local colleges.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  8. #8
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    as a CR Wash alum, I am proud to see my school listed, Wash is unique in that you had every socio-economic base covered but if they would include Drop out rate, I would guess it wouldn't fair quite as well. Doctors kids went to school with the welfare kids at Wash. Valley not surprising as well, my oldest will start Valley in a short 3 years - hope she has the ambition and vision to take advantage of all of the Academic opportunties available to her there as she prepares to carry on her legacy as the next true Cyclone!
    Washington is definitely an interesting experience... I was friends with some of the richest kids in Cedar Rapids and friends with some of the poorest! There were a lot of drugs and violence but also a ton of straight-laced kids. I have a few Linn Mar friends that say they wish they would have attended Wash because it is "more like real life." I'd say half of the student population placed in the top 10 percentile on the ITEDs (at least it seemed so), which is a major accomplishment considering some of the kids that attended.

    A lot of the bad apples would drop out and go to Metro though, which definitely helps Wash's numbers.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 34,094, Level: 56
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,678
    Points
    34,094
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    Washington is definitely an interesting experience... I was friends with some of the richest kids in Cedar Rapids and friends with some of the poorest! There were a lot of drugs and violence but also a ton of straight-laced kids. I have a few Linn Mar friends that say they wish they would have attended Wash because it is "more like real life." I'd say half of the student population placed in the top 10 percentile on the ITEDs (at least it seemed so), which is a major accomplishment considering some of the kids that attended.

    A lot of the bad apples would drop out and go to Metro though, which definitely helps Wash's numbers.
    Sounds exactly as it was 15 years ago! Wash was a breeze though as compared to going to 6th Grade at McKinley when the 9th Graders were still in the builing, learned how to fight that year! Living in the Des Moines area, Roosevelt would probably compare most closely in terms of diversity of populuation and economics, but they don't seem to compete in anything and really don't hear much on academics either. Loved my experience at Wash - had good educational opportunity, athletic opportunity and got all my poor choices out of the way before I even started college and most of friends kept making them after graduation with the worst being going to Iowa!



  10. #10
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Sounds exactly as it was 15 years ago! Wash was a breeze though as compared to going to 6th Grade at McKinley when the 9th Graders were still in the builing, learned how to fight that year! Living in the Des Moines area, Roosevelt would probably compare most closely in terms of diversity of populuation and economics, but they don't seem to compete in anything and really don't hear much on academics either. Loved my experience at Wash - had good educational opportunity, athletic opportunity and got all my poor choices out of the way before I even started college and most of friends kept making them after graduation with the worst being going to Iowa!
    Haha McKinley was the hardest 3 years of my life... Some rough kids I tell you! Thank God for Metro because those kids would have had to go to Washington or just drop out altogether... I remember going to the bathroom and seeing kids stashing coke and weed up in the ceiling tiles and one of the dude's saying to his buddy "yo, he cool?" and thankfully I knew the other guy and he said, "yeah he's cool" otherwise I probably would have been beat up to keep quiet! I remember some of the craziest fights, lots of racism towards whitey, seeing a classmate die in electric car accident when Kennedy High School's team showed it off, bomb threats and multiple fires... man, looking back at it McKinley was messed up!!!

    I'm sure Cedar Rapidians remember hearing about the girl that died in that accident, she sat next to me in band in 6th grade... to see her die in front of my eyes definitely messed me up for awhile.

    Sorry, I got this thread off topic


    Last edited by cycoOJfan89; 08-28-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Getting the thread off topic

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,827, Level: 68
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,672
    Points
    48,827
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 7

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    There is a reason why both Kennedy and Wash are on the list as they are VERY alike mostly because I believe the principals are married.

    My problem with wash and kennedy is that I believe they do have outright valedictorians and salutatorians they give a good number of others the same designation as well since they have so many AP classes and such they give say the top 20 or so students valedictorian status and say they next 20 salutatorian status...not right imo.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    There is a reason why both Kennedy and Wash are on the list as they are VERY alike mostly because I believe the principals are married.

    My problem with wash and kennedy is that I believe they do have outright valedictorians and salutatorians they give a good number of others the same designation as well since they have so many AP classes and such they give say the top 20 or so students valedictorian status and say they next 20 salutatorian status...not right imo.
    My class had like 70 "valedictorians." Dr. Plagman gives it out to anyone with over a 4.0 GPA



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,827, Level: 68
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,672
    Points
    48,827
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 7

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    My class had like 70 "valedictorians." Dr. Plagman gives it out to anyone with over a 4.0 GPA
    Ya personally I think that's stupid but just my opinion.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    Ya personally I think that's stupid but just my opinion.
    Me too... I heard it got mentioned on Jay Leno in 2003 for being really dumb. I never saw the clip but I've heard several people talk about it. Washington still does #1 and #2 speeches for the ceremony, so they still get credit.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 115,858, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cybyassociation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,037
    Points
    115,858
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

    Re: CR, Ames in Newsweek's top US high schools

    CR Wash and Kennedy are both on this list because the majority of their electives are "advanced placement" courses. Washington is just now starting a Business Department, using a teacher from Jefferson that is splitting time between both schools. So instead of being able to take elective classes like Marketing, Computer Applications, Personal Finance...kids are taking "advanced classes", including art, band, choir. What the study also does not show is the number of students that are underachieving in the classroom. Both of these schools (the CR School District as a whole), have an incredibly large number of students that are not performing at the level they should be. In cases like this, the students that are taking AP classes "make up" for the lost ground of the other students. Not saying these are not both good schools, just that IMO, the numbers are skewed.

    Also, to say that Wash is more "real life" than Linn Mar or any other school in CR is a joke.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM