Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Back from Capital City League

Well, I just got back and I didn't take notes and my memory isn't great. But I would feel bad for not at least giving you my thoughts. The first game was Coca-Cola against MOHA. Coach Crawford, Corey Johnson and Bryan Peterson who I had not heard of against Brister, Haluska and Wesley. First let me just say that Wesley is a freak and everyone there found out. His vertical is unbelievable grabbing rebounds at least 6 foot above the rim and throwing them down. The other thing that impressed me was Haluska. He had 5 three pointers I believe just at half. I heard someone mention behind me that he won't quit shooting. They knew it and he probably shot to many after that. But what I do like is that he gets really high on his jumper and he is a good shot. He also is very quick and athletic and in my opinion will do something more than just walk on. Bryan Peterson did not contribute and looked very small. I hope he is like an 09 recruit that will have time to work on his game. Corey Johnson looked good and had a few jumpers. I was looking forward to Brister and he really disappointed. He had a bad game and it is nothing to judge him on. He did show good ball handling, but he looks to me like he can't shoot. Coca-Cola won this I believe 95-87

Second game was CIO vs. Gratias with Harrison Barnes, Charles Boozer, Henderson and Cameron Lee playing Diante Garrett, and AT. Thomson is a man against boys and will do us well as I have said all along. Jiri played well and stayed in the post which was new to him in the Cap league except he slipped out for a few long jumpers. I don't know who Lee was and he didn't do much. Boozer is also going to be special. He has a very high arc to his shot which will do well for rebounding. Barnes is impressive for as young as he is and could be better at the end of this league than what he showed tonight. Garrett showed flashes, but in my opinion he and many others look very young and will take time to be ready for Big XII play.

The final game pitted Peak Performance with Clark, Currie, Steiger and Vette against Hot Shots with Brackins Jacobson and Taylor. I don't think Brock played. Steiger was very impressive and seems to be the one I am most excited about. He has a very mature floor demeanor and is built well. His jumpshot has great touch and he seems like an experience Big XII guard. I can't say enough about him. Vette and Brackins just played the game in the post. They both tried dumb little touch shots and didn't do much of anything. Neither impressed, but I don't want to judge on one game. I was disappointed after all the hype on Brackins. Rashon and Taylor were great. Taylor had move after move and drilled all kinds of threes. I for one am happy to see him back.

Hopefully this helped! I think we have a real promising future in Cyclone basketball, but don't think that Brister, Brackins and Garrett are going to be as ready so quickly to do a lot in the Big XII. I am excited about Taylor, Jiri, AT, Rashon, Wesley, Steiger and Boozer and think they will have an immediate impact to start the season.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Re: Back from Capital City League

What, no photos? Worthless! (dripping with sarcasm)

Seriously, thanks for the info and observations - I forgot this kicked off tonight. Need to look at that schedule again and get some of them on my calendar.

Walk On
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update. I agree that you can't judge these guys on their first game. Its hard to believe that they just got into town and are playing in this league already. It does sound like we will have a solid nucleus of players and will have some depth for a change. Hopefully, the young guys will get adapted and become more comfortable.
    The cap. city league is really tough to judge while looking at player potential. Hell, after I watched John Neal pour in 3 after 3 a couple of years ago, I thought he had a chance at making an All Big 12 team!:)

It sounds like MT can really put on a show down there!

Drews79

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

It sounds like our returning players are making progress. I am not surprised by your comments on Brister and Diante. I really wish McIntosh had stuck around.

Good read, look forward to more reports from all you spectators.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Whens the next game? I don't want to miss it!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Next games are 4:30 on Sunday night at Valley Southwoods

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The highlight though was when Taylor and Brackins started dunking in pregame and trying to show each other up. Brackins was throwing them down from all over and took the ball through his legs and then dunked it all in mid air. Then Taylor tried the same thing and almost did it, but instead drew the back of the rim. Just made me feel really white!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Thanks for the report. Please keep them coming for us out-of-staters.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Did Staiger shoot alot of midrange shots or 3's? I am glad to hear he and Boozer were impressive!

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 701
    Given: 670

Can someone post a link to the schedule? I work in Des Moines now, so I wanna hit some games up.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

It is worth going to just watch Mike Taylor.

Walk On
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I am sorry, but I had to respond to the original post concerning the summary of the games last night. I admittedly did not see any of the first game and only saw the last half of the second game. So, I may have missed some things. However, I had a different view regarding some of the players from what I saw in the last half of the second game and the third game.

I will start off with that with which I agree from the original post. I definitely agree with the assessment on My Name is Lucca (Steiger). He REALLY impressed me. All the reports said he had a beautiful stroke, and he does. He showed that last night, repeatedly. However, what surprised me is that he put some nasty cross-over dribble moves ON MIKE TAYLOR that I really was not expecting from a strong, 6' 5" (OK white) off guard. In addition to his attacking the hoop dribble skills, he also has good ball control and passing skills as well as the standard European solid court awareness. He also showed good off-the ball movement. While I think Coach Mac may lean to his upper classmen (at least at the beginning of the year), I hope My Name is Lucca starts at SG or SF this year. However, if his Capitol City Classic coach's actions are an indicator, he will be coming off the bench (seriously CCC coach, what are you thinking not starting your best player???).

I also generally agree with the "still on the fence" assessment of Garrett. I too am not yet sure about him. He was clearly frustrated last night. His team had Nick Grant and some other Drake guys that did not really pass him the ball at times. I am sure that does not sit well with a PG. Anyway, his report was that he is a great slasher with a great Stinson-esque tear drop shot but no outside shot. That report was not evident last night. He had some crazy good finishes and he slashed to the hoop very nicely a few times, but his tear drop was not falling. Again, he admittedly was not getting the ball in a manner where he could control his team like he normally does. However, he actually shot his threes very well (I believe he was 3 of 4 while I was there). He is another guy who, similar to Corey McIntosh, does not (at least yet) have a Big 12 body. However, unlike CMac, I am still on the fence with him because his skill set and potential (much like his height) is much greater than CMac's. On the one hand, I could see him not playing a big part this year at all. On the other hand, I saw enough potential that I would not be surprised to see him being our starting PG (at least by the time Big 12 play starts).

Also, I will agree that Thompson had some pretty good moves, though I thought he settled for three pointers / 15 foot jumpers way too often (and they were not falling). I wouldn't go quite as far as saying he was a man among boys though. However, he should be a solid backup to Brackins and Jiri (and hopefully give Jiri some motivation to work a little harder this off-season).

I don't recall the original post mentioning Vette, but he is OK (much better than Marsden), but he probably should redshirt a year. He is another guy for whom the jury is still out.

Now comes for the disagreement. I don't know what game you were watching, but Brackins is very good, fundamentally sound, passes well, does all the dirty work and actually LIKES to play good defense. He got rebound after rebound after. . . . He blocked shot after shot after. . . . You are right that we did not see much of his offense, but that was not his fault. He was posting up hard and making himself wide open, but his teammates (shockingly Mike Taylor being one of the biggest culprits) ignored him and hogged the ball. Other than one time when Rashon picked him, the few times he got the ball in the post, he made either great passes to cutters for layups or very skilled and strong post moves. He had one LEFT-handed hook shot (he is right handed btw) with his defender in his face that he made look so easy and effortless that I almost forgot how many times Jiri made the same shot last year look so difficult. The worst part is that he got stuck on Taylor's team. You could see he was already getting frustrated playing with Taylor (not that I blame him). On at least five occasions, Mike drove drew two defenders (leaving Brackins wide open for a dunk) and shot the ball against the two defenders rather than making the simple, intelligent play (passing to Brackins for an uncontested dunk). Fortunately enough, on at least one of those occasions, Brackins cleaned up Mike's mess and dunked the rebound. However, the most impressive thing to me was that, even after he was frustrated, Brackins made the intelligent pass to his cutting teammates instead of settling for open three pointers. In sum, this guy is a team-oriented, fundamentally sound, super athletic and skilled future superstar. He will start at some point this year, and I hope it is the whole season.

I did not see the first half of Boozer's game (and I will assume he lit it up in light of the comments in the original post), but he couldn't hit anything in the last fifteen or so minutes in the second half. However, I will agree that he certainly kept on shooting. I don't think I saw enough of him to project one way or the other. However, it is pretty easy to tell which one he is. Man, he looks a lot like Carlos. I sure hope he can play even 1/3 as good as Carlos did in this year's NBA playoffs.

As noted above, I did not see Wes Johnson's game, so I can't say much about him (though I suspect he was awesome as usual). However, none of the returners really impressed me.

Taylor shot very well and had some great moves, but, shockingly, he made terrible ball control decisions the entire game. He likely had a double-double (yep, turnovers). You would hope he would have worked on his weaknesses and would be trying to get Brackins involved, but Mike has never been known for wise decisions. Let's hope that changes soon as his talent and potential are unlimited if his fundamentals and decision-making skills improve.

Rashon's jumpshot was so bad in the first half that his defender was sagging off of him just daring him to shoot. He did heat up a little bit in the second half, and he played his highlight reel rebounding / dunking role as usual, but he does not seem to be any better than he was last year. He has so much potential, but he can't seem to improve his ball handling or shooting (which is the only way he will play at the next level). I will say he looked a little bit bigger. So, maybe the strength and conditioning trainer is helping.

I did not see much from Jiri (good or bad). In short, I will say that I would not be surprised if the earlier story on this site (i.e., the one about the freshman beating the returners two nights ago) was not only true but also reoccurring.

Well, that is the end of my novel. I hope you all enjoyed my first post on this site, and I am sure you will "Vette" your anger and disagreement on me now.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Bryan Peterson did not contribute and looked very small. I hope he is like an 09 recruit that will have time to work on his game.
    He is a junior college transfer from Kirkwood that has two years of eligibility.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

IP Guy, I didn't want to quote all that, but thanks for the write-up. This is why I like to have multiple summaries of the cap city games. Different people see diffferent things.

MT sounds like he hasn't changed. Rahshon's development depresses me. I really had hoped he would turn into a premier player in the league. He continues (from you description) to be a role player (an important one).

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IP Guy View Post
    I don't recall the original post mentioning Vette, but he is OK (much better than Marsden), but he probably should redshirt a year. He is another guy for whom the jury is still out.
    If a player is going to be marginal I'd almost rather have him not redshirt. This way he only takes up a scholarship for 4 years instead of 5. I have the feeling that in 4 years McDermott's recruiting will have us wishing for the roster space.

The only time I would want a redshirt is where a recruit needs time to grow/gain strength to adjust to Big 12 play. Farnold Degand was a good example of this because of his age, and I'm bummed we never got to see him play at Iowa State. Anyways, just my ideas on redshirting. Not every player should be redshirted in basketball. Football on the other hand...