Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Anybody interested in beagle puppies?? OT

We are trying to start a kennel and had our first litter on the day after Thanksgiving this last year. We got all of them sold without much of a problem, and now have a litter of 7 (6 girls and 1 boy) that are ready to go next week, and the mother of the 1st litter is giving birth right now (so far she has 6). The birth of all of these new pups makes me nervous that we're not going to have it so easy selling all of them this time around. The puppies are pure bred, but since the dad's previous owner (we got him when he was a puppy) never sent us his papers they can't be registered. Our 2 females are sisters and are tri-colored with papers while the dad of both litters (lucky dog) is black and brown with blue ticking. I'm attaching a picture of him with the mom of the 1st litter, as well as the only guy in the litter ready next week. On the first litter we got $175 a pup and this time have been trying for $250 starting out. We would happily send them to a good Cyclone family for $150 each though . Our website with pictures of the litter available next week is may07
    They will each have their vaccinations and wormers and have an exam from a vet before they go off to their new homes. If you are interested (or know somebody that is), please PM me or email me at jhales81@yahoo.com and we can discuss details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proudparentsresized.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antonio 2.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	542  

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 572

Re: Anybody interested in beagle puppies?? OT

Beagles are absolutely the best dogs. I have a four year old beagle, and she is the most mild mannered, wonderful dog I have ever had. Here she is:Attachment 543

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 08-02-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I swear on all that is holy BigD, if your sister sees this thread, and wants a beagle, I'm going to cry and say that its you who showed it to her.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Man...you are making this "we are waiting to get a dog until next spring" very, very difficult!

Friends of ours have 2 beagles - those dogs get a bad rap for being a bit hyper - but these 2 beagles were well behaved and a ton of fun to be around. Beagles are definitely on the list of dogs we're going to choose from.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I have a beagle/terrier mix. We were actually looking for a beagle, but couldn't turn down the little girl when we went to check her out. The price you pay when you answer an ad from the newspaper.

For those that are interested, beagles are one of the best dogs with kids. Of course labs are probably the best, but we didn't want a "big" dog. Our backyard in Arizona was just too small.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 472

Does this beagle line have any hunting experience or training in the parents?

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Man...you are making this "we are waiting to get a dog until next spring" very, very difficult!

Friends of ours have 2 beagles - those dogs get a bad rap for being a bit hyper - but these 2 beagles were well behaved and a ton of fun to be around. Beagles are definitely on the list of dogs we're going to choose from.
    Come on 22! Get one now, they will be potty trained before football season!

Go for it, show your manliness, cave in to peer pressure, we are all watching!!!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Thats a great price for a beagle pup. We have a 6 yo Beagle that we paid $300 for.

Beagles have a great attitude and lots of energy. They are great with other dogs, people, and kids.

A word of warning for potential buyers: Beagles are hound dogs and have been bred to sniff out varmits. They do a very good job of that. If you have dreams of unleashing your dog at a park or letting your dog out front to go potty, beagles aren't the dog for you. You need a fenced yard or a leash at all times. All my dog wants to do is hunt, eat, and sleep. She is very good at all 3. If she escapes, she'll be gone all day doing who knows what. She does come back, which is nice. But you never know what kind of danger she is putting herself in when roaming about chasing scents.

Other than that, great dogs. Nicely sized for in a house. They are a medium to low shedder. The barking can get annoying but with some training, it can be controlled.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The thing holding us back is our lot is still dirt. We're supposed to have seed either today or next week. And, it won't look like a yard much at all this year. A dog would only make matters worse and make one heck of a mess.

Plus, I think adding a kitten and dog at the same time would cause our 7 year old cat to go into heart failure. She's already PO'ed as it is...I'd hate to see what a new kitten and pup would do to her.

Thanks for the info CyinCO. We're not planning on fencing our yard in, instead looking at an invisible fence. Our neighborhood is so open that a fence would make it look bad.

Potential issues with this breed of dog with an invisible fence?

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Actually, I've heard that there is. The invisible fences obviously require lots of training. I don't have first hand experience, but if a beagle sees game or gets on a scent, they could quickly move through the "shock zone" and then beyond the range of the fence. Once that happens once, your dog has learned it can cross the boundary and be free. There are some good chat forums dedicated to Beagles. You can probably find a thread there about Beagles and invisible fences. Personally, I believe my dog would go right through an invisible fence.

Colorado is big on 6' privacy fencing. Something people would never do in Iowa. It does two great things. It makes so the dog can't see people walking by and makes for a inescapable wall. I've heard of beagles scaling chain-link. When we lived in Ames, our beagle tunneled out the back yard. But her digging phase is over now.

Last edited by CyinCo; 06-15-2007 at 09:11 AM.
    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    Does this beagle line have any hunting experience or training in the parents?

- keep.
    The pups parents haven't done much hunting at all, we've taken them out to the country to let them sniff down some rabbits at my wife's parents' farm, but that's about it. I will say that the dad has a passion for rabbits though. When we lived at our other place across town he would sit at the door (which had no windows and was on a solid wall to the backyard) and cry occasionally. Every time without fail when he cried and I opened the door there was a rabbit in the yard. I do know his parents were hunters. I am not sure about the girls' line. I bought them at a dog/gun show from a larger breeder 4 years ago.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The thing holding us back is our lot is still dirt. We're supposed to have seed either today or next week. And, it won't look like a yard much at all this year. A dog would only make matters worse and make one heck of a mess.

Plus, I think adding a kitten and dog at the same time would cause our 7 year old cat to go into heart failure. She's already PO'ed as it is...I'd hate to see what a new kitten and pup would do to her.

Thanks for the info CyinCO. We're not planning on fencing our yard in, instead looking at an invisible fence. Our neighborhood is so open that a fence would make it look bad.

I guess there could be issues with any dog on an invisible fence. I would say the biggest thing would be the barking at people walking by. We've used a bark collar that beeps when they bark and that has seemed to stop it. For my yard though (since I have 3 beagles and a pug), we put up the privacy fence and then I actually ran a really low grade electric wire around the bottom so they couldn't dig either. After 1 small shock they haven't gone back to the edge yet, so I would think it would be about the same for the invisible fence.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 254

What is the name of the puppy that is bent over with his hands on his knee's.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    After 1 small shock they haven't gone back to the edge yet, so I would think it would be about the same for the invisible fence.
    Thanks for that info.

I think though, the setup you have is much better because a visual goes along with that shock wire. Plus, they can't see what's on the other side.

Will have to think about all this more. Regardless, that's one cute pup you have there!

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 472

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I guess there could be issues with any dog on an invisible fence. I would say the biggest thing would be the barking at people walking by. We've used a bark collar that beeps when they bark and that has seemed to stop it.
    Or have the larynx removed. It is a simple operation without any danger to the animal.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep