Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 805,499, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,635
    Points
    805,499
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 313

    Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Per Cyclone Football Twitter:

    Congrats to linebacker Preston Kauffman, who was awarded a scholarship today by head coach Paul Rhoads.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 180,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,376
    Points
    180,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 0

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    What year is he? And is he a legitimate #2 LB for us this year? I was hoping one of the walk-on LBs would step up. Hopefully it is Preston. Congrats!



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 17,619, Level: 40
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kkise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    1,070
    Points
    17,619
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 61

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Congrats Preston!!



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Congrats to Preston. He probably would have played more and had more of his school paid for if he had stayed at UN-Omaha. It's nice to see someone with a dream to play D1 football be rewarded for his hard work.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Congrats to Preston. He probably would have played more and had more of his school paid for if he had stayed at UN-Omaha. It's nice to see someone with a dream to play D1 football be rewarded for his hard work.

    congrats P.K....


    doc

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 406,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,542
    Points
    406,081
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    25k student UN-Omaha chose to lower their football program level as the Dakota schools moved upward.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    25k student UN-Omaha chose to lower their football program level as the Dakota schools moved upward.
    A couple of comments on this.

    First, many of those 25k students are adult, evening, and non-traditional students. UNO has, however, recently introduced some on-campus dorms as the campus has expanded into some of the former AK-SAR-BEN property.

    Second, the decision to remain with DII football was made before Trev Alberts took over as AD last year. Don't be surprised to see him push to bump the program up in the next several years. He has hinted that there is room for UNO to be a DI player in the state as long as they don't try to challenge the pecking order that puts Lincoln on top.

    The problem is that the hockey program provided a huge financial boost when it was first introduced. The luster has worn off and it is now closer to break even status if not a money loser. If Alberts can be successful in his attempt to increase fundraising, look for football to be the beneficiary.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 167,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,772
    Points
    167,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 1,730

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    A couple of comments on this.

    First, many of those 25k students are adult, evening, and non-traditional students. UNO has, however, recently introduced some on-campus dorms as the campus has expanded into some of the former AK-SAR-BEN property.

    Second, the decision to remain with DII football was made before Trev Alberts took over as AD last year. Don't be surprised to see him push to bump the program up in the next several years. He has hinted that there is room for UNO to be a DI player in the state as long as they don't try to challenge the pecking order that puts Lincoln on top.

    The problem is that the hockey program provided a huge financial boost when it was first introduced. The luster has worn off and it is now closer to break even status if not a money loser. If Alberts can be successful in his attempt to increase fundraising, look for football to be the beneficiary.
    That won't go over well in Nebraska. UNO is already hurting the UNL walk-on program by giving football scholarships to kids who would have otherwise walked on to UNL. No way anyone allows UNO it become D1.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    That won't go over well in Nebraska. UNO is already hurting the UNL walk-on program by giving football scholarships to kids who would have otherwise walked on to UNL. No way anyone allows UNO it become D1.
    There are already some big Husker boosters who are responding to Trev's appeal. They are willing to throw a few crumbs his way based on his status as a Husker legend. Sort of a big brother - little brother approach. It would not impact Nebraska that much. The typical pattern is to first walk on at Nebraska, then transfer to UNO if you don't make the cut in Lincoln.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 94,324, Level: 95
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,711
    Points
    94,324
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    That won't go over well in Nebraska. UNO is already hurting the UNL walk-on program by giving football scholarships to kids who would have otherwise walked on to UNL. No way anyone allows UNO it become D1.
    I think that you're right. IMO it is ridiculous that Iowa has two BCS schools and a 1AA school (not to mention Drake being D1 nonscholarship), yet Nebraska just has the one D1 school. UNO should be 1AA. Hell, UNK should be 1AA. I mean, you are going to tell me that NDSU, SDSU, etc are D1 schools but UNO isn't??? But the state is in such a cult with Nebraska football that they will never allow those things to happen if they are even the tiniest threat to UNL.

    I will say that UNO has some major money behind it with the Sokol family and Buffet.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I think that you're right. IMO it is ridiculous that Iowa has two BCS schools and a 1AA school (not to mention Drake being D1 nonscholarship), yet Nebraska just has the one D1 school. UNO should be 1AA. Hell, UNK should be 1AA. I mean, you are going to tell me that NDSU, SDSU, etc are D1 schools but UNO isn't??? But the state is in such a cult with Nebraska football that they will never allow those things to happen if they are even the tiniest threat to UNL.

    I will say that UNO has some major money behind it with the Sokol family and Buffet.
    Sokol, yes - Buffet is Husker red.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 79,346, Level: 87
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 804
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,793
    Points
    79,346
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 265

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Back to Preston, I was amazed at this dude's size when we got his autograph on Sunday.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 94,324, Level: 95
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,711
    Points
    94,324
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Sokol, yes - Buffet is Husker red.
    I thought that Buffet has a building named after him at UNO. Maybe not. Either way, he must not be too big of a Husker fan because you don't really hear much about him donating huge chunks of cash like T.Boone...even though he'd blow T.Boone out of the water financially.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I thought that Buffet has a building named after him at UNO. Maybe not. Either way, he must not be too big of a Husker fan because you don't really hear much about him donating huge chunks of cash like T.Boone...even though he'd blow T.Boone out of the water financially.
    Buffet gives some, but not huge amounts, to select causes such as business schools in the area. He is not a huge supporter at this point to athletic programs. One exception was that he stepped up along with some friends a few years ago to purchase the Omaha Royals when it appeared that the team might be headed to an out of town buyer. I believe that the team has been sold since then to another buyer who agreed to keep the franchise in town.

    The deal with Buffet is that he will not donate much of his wealth while he is living because his primary goal is to keep control of Berkshire Hathaway. When he dies, the whole situation changes. A small fraction of his wealth is to go to family, but the majority is set to go to charity. The last information that I heard is that he doesn't want to mess with setting up a foundation to handle most of the distribution. The plan is to roll most of his wealth over to the Bill Gates Foundation and let them handle the distribution. He is a close friend to Gates and is comfortable with the type of charities that benefit from the Gates Foundation.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM