Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Summer Jobs

I don't remember making all that much money at summer jobs while I was pursuing a college degree. My oh my how times have changed.

In Nome there is an acute labor shortage due to a start-up gold mining operation. My son is home for the summer from college and he earns $38 per hour driving a forklift. Furthermore, he works a lot of overtime which really jacks up his paycheck. Even high school kids are making comparable wages for temporary summer work. There just isn't enough people to fill the positions in this area. Normally you would expect an influx of people from other areas to fill these types of jobs. However, Nome is not on a connecting road system. Therefore it requires a fair chunk of change just to make an airline reservation to get here. And once one gets here its next to impossible to find housing. The logistical problems connected with getting building materials here means that our tight housing market conditions won't be going away either. Its definately a good situation for the college and high school kids spending their summers here.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Summer Jobs

Have an extra bedroom?