Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 12 issues (long)

I've been listening to the KC sports stations this afternoon talking about the issues facing the Big 12 and thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

Their opinion is that unless the revenue sharing is changed dramatially in the near future the Big 12 will tear apart in some way just because the gap is so large and growing. They said that according to what Pollard said on their show a few days ago that the eight "have-nots" will vote for equal revenue sharing but nine votes are needed.

Of the four "haves" (OU, NU, UT, A&M) A&M is the most likely to provide that vote because they feel like they're getting left behind from the other three.

If no agreement is reached we could see two teams to the Pac 10 (UT and CU), one to the Big 10 (Mizzou) and who knows what happens to the rest. Some possibilities would be to try to pick up a few more members (raid the Mountain West with TCU, CSU, and BYU probably being the best options) or the nine schools are left to find their own way to safety. I think this is the scariest scenario for ISU as the geography and financial situation would be working against us in a big way.

They said the only three Big 12 ADs they felt that have a shot at the job are Dodds from UT, Perkins from KU, and Pollard. Dodds won't get enough votes because he's from Texas and the other two would do the best job but there's probably too much in-fighting to get the necessary votes.

Personally I'm not completely convinced that the dissolution of the league is as inevitable as the radio guys made it out to be but I also think it's much more of a possibility than most in the conference are willing to admit. There are definitely some major issues facing this conference and it's going to take a good leader to do what is right for everyone. Hopefully they can find that person.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Re: Big 12 issues (long)

I might be in the minority, but I'd still love to see a move to the Big 10. That conference has it together from the top down and the Big 12 (starting with the commissioner) loves finding a way to embarrass itself.

It would never happen, I just get annoyed by the conference sometimes.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think that there are some real issues that have to be addressed, or it could get to the point that the league breaks.

UT feels, and makes it very clear that we need them way more than they need us. I could definitely see them moving in the next 10 years if they don't get what they want, in fact I can see them pushing the envelope to try to justify leaving.

I think that OU and kNU are bound by the tradition of the Big 8 so I can't see them making a stand to leave. A & M will go to the highest bidder.

As far as us in the Big 10, I just don't see it. We really, at this time, don't bring a lot to the table for them. Mizzu brings two big markets, KC and St Louis, so that makes sense. We offer nothing that they don't already have, so I cannot see where they would want us. I think that it would be a great deal for us, though, but I can't see the Hawks ever letting it happen.

Last edited by darts180; 06-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

This whole thing makes my head hurt.

Conference spit ups. Pollard being listed as a possible candidate.

Ick!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Pollard being listed as a possible candidate.

Ick!
    I think we are going to hear a lot of that over the next few years. Every big time AD position that opens up, and his name will be out there. Kind of like Kirk over the past 5 years and every open NFL position.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 88

UT to the Pac-10 would be whacky. First, there is the 2-hour time difference (they'd be the the only team in the Central time zone) plus all that travel to the schools in the northwest. Actually, it's quite a hike to LA for that matter. That just doesn't make alot of sense to me. It makes a little more sense for CU.

I wonder if NU wouldn't vote for the sharing just to keep the conference together. A "big" conference benefits them. On their own, they don't bring a huge TV market with them, and I think their options in a "fend for yourself" atmosphere would all be a downgrade from the Big 12.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Recruit
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I would love for Iowa State to move to the Big Ten! Everything about the Big Ten is better including the Academics, the TV deals, the Football, the Basketball, the Bowl Line-Ups, etc.

As for the Big 12 and Texas, it is doomed.

The point of a conference is to share and to help each other out. Some schools contribute with football, some with men's basketball, some with women's basketball, some with wrestling, some with baseball, some with academics, etc.

The SWC broke up due to the same type of stuff that Texas is pushing now.

Texas should become an Independent and quit trying to dictate everything to the other schools like they did in their former conference and like they are trying to do in their new conference - WHICH THEY WERE FORTUNATE TO JOIN.

Go Cyclones!

:)

Ala

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I think we are going to hear a lot of that over the next few years. Every big time AD position that opens up, and his name will be out there. Kind of like Kirk over the past 5 years and every open NFL position.
    Well for our sake, lets hope the results are the same as they have been so far with the "Kirk to Team X" speculation.

While losing Pollard wouldn't mean the end of athletics at ISU - it would definitely be a huge blow to the accomplishments to date and the momentum/excitement that's been built. It makes me queasy just thinking about it.

I honestly think Pollard wouldn't do it - we'll never know until it happens of course. Yet I think he sees ISU as a project and a major challenge - he's only scratched the surface.

Plus, he won't have the resume as some of the other folks up for the job. Pollard may be the better guy, yet lets hope they ignore that and find someone else that can do just as good of a job and will treat each of the Big 12 programs equally.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    except worse because JP is 9 times the man and the AD that kirk is

Recruit
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Plus, he won't have the resume as some of the other folks up for the job. Pollard may be the better guy, yet lets hope they ignore that and find someone else that can do just as good of a job and will treat each of the Big 12 programs equally.
    As long as it is not DeLoss Dodds from Texas, I will be happy. If D.D. is chosen, the conference might as well break up.

Whoever mentioned that Nebraska might vote with the little guys in the profit sharing hit on a good point. While NU is one of the "haves", they are located in a "have not" region geographically. It behooves Nebraska to have a strong, balanced and happy Big 12 more than the other three haves: Texas, Texas A&M and OU.

Ala

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 88

Just a question...how many of the major conferences have a profit sharing plan of the same type that is being discussed for the Big 12? The Big Ten does, but how many of the others do?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by AlaCyclone View Post
    It behooves Nebraska to have a strong, balanced and happy Big 12 more than the other three haves: Texas, Texas A&M and OU.
    Why is that exactly? If they keep the have not's - not having, one would think they have a clear path to the Big XII north year in and year out in FB. And although their BB isn't much to speak of, their WBB is pretty good, their VB is tops, Wrestling isn't bad (I think) and they're always competitive in the other sports like baseball, right?

Why else would they want the north better off on the whole? The only reason I can see is so that the conference appears more respectable. But wouldn't the other 3 "have's" want that as well.

Seems to me, aside from Big 8 history, NU has almost the most to lose. What am I missing?

Recruit
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Just a question...how many of the major conferences have a profit sharing plan of the same type that is being discussed for the Big 12? The Big Ten does, but how many of the others do?
    The SEC shares equally.

Ala

Recruit
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Why is that exactly? If they keep the have not's - not having, one would think they have a clear path to the Big XII north year in and year out in FB. And although their BB isn't much to speak of, their WBB is pretty good, their VB is tops, Wrestling isn't bad (I think) and they're always competitive in the other sports like baseball, right?

Why else would they want the north better off on the whole? The only reason I can see is so that the conference appears more respectable. But wouldn't the other 3 "have's" want that as well.

Seems to me, aside from Big 8 history, NU has almost the most to lose. What am I missing?
    I meant keeping the conference stable is in their best interest. If Texas, OU, Texas A&M and Nebraska pull farther away from the other 8 schools, it will lead to some form of a break-up. In a break-up, Nebraska will lose out more than the other three. Additioanlly, Texas and Texas A&M will be able to leave OU and Nebraska in the dust too, but that is a different story all together.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Iowa State has NEVER been the Big 12 (1996-2006), Big 8 (1960-1995), Big 7 (1948-1959), or Big 6 (1928-1947) football champion. At least the Chicago Cubs have won a title in their history.