Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Any real downside?

Looking at the progress that CFH has made with recruiting:

Positives (real and potential):
    - CFH didn't have a lot of recruiting history from previous job to build off of; he needs to get in the game and it would tough to get any good recruits at this point in time for the next 6 months so you take what you can get.
    - Transfers will allow for quick competitiveness - get the brand (ISU MBB) pointed in the right direction sooner rather than later and build off of some success
    - WE HAD THREE PLAYERS RETURNING WITH ANY EXPERIENCE.
    - I realize that most of the transfers can't play this year, but next year will have more D-1 experience on the court than any other option available to CFH!!!
    - Baptism by fire for the players we have - games AND practice will be a great way to get them learning sooner rather than later. Hopefully, the older new guys can help the underclassmen get through the season in good form too.

Challenges
    - It appears that there will be a lot of egos and attitudes in and out of the locker room.
    - Can CFH keep these guys on the straight and narrow?
    - Personally, I believe that McD couldn't relate to the NBA caliber players consistantly (ie WJ, the transfer situation, and the supposed discontent in the locker room). It appeared to be a large part of the struggles of the team. Maybe CFH, with his exposure to NBA talent, will know how to handle top notch players and chemistry will become an advantage instead of a disadvantage.
    - Coaching experience - getting the players used to CFH for a whole year before some of them play should help get both sides on the same page so the team is more coherent next year.

Local radio media personalities have only found the negatives in CFH's limited tenure: he hasn't coached, he hasn't been in college recruiting circles, he is bringing in troubled kids, he is taking kids from othe programs (give me a break - I know that Pollard used that as an excuse for McD, this is a different coach and IF it is an advantage in winnig games to keep kids around, then McD wasn't getting it done - CFH is hear and learned from the previous regimes mistakes).
    Frankly their (local media) logic is flawed:
    First - They commented that CFH has some grace period to get the program turned around, he doesn't have to take risks on some of these kids
    Now - They ask why is CFH giving up on this season already??? Shouldn't he be worried about winnnig games this year?? (I thought they already stated that he didn't have to win this year and now that is a problem?)
    My biggest complaint with afternoon KXNO staff is their arguments lack logic and consistancy - whatever supports their current gripe is the logic they use today.

Back to MBB, IF CFH can relate to the incoming recruits and keep their noses clean, this could be pretty excited to see the team grow this year and blossom next year. I would like to belive that with CFH living the NBA life with real NBA players, he knows how to work with talented individuals. Let's hope it all works out for the best.

Believing in Kermuflin since 2009!

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Re: Any real downside?

good post!

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

MP is an moron who has to act like a bait to get attention. He acts negatively towards our program, and kisses McDoormatts butt now bc he has to. He is the biggest hack in the biz....Hawkeye fans dislike him as much as we do.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 112

There was going to be grace period regardless how the offseason went down in CFH first year. Instead of banking scholarships on future recruits he is building depth for a program that didn't have much when he first arrived. Now there are some upperclassmen who, yeah can't play in the first year, will help develop the younger guys. A person could almost make an argument that recruiting future freshmen players is riskier than giving a scholarship to transfer students.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by agcy68 View Post

Local radio media personalities have only found the negatives in CFH's limited tenure
    Don't understannd where you get this; the overwhleming majority of local radio I've heard (Des Moines and Ames) are supporting Hoiberg.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Don't understannd where you get this; the overwhleming majority of local radio I've heard (Des Moines and Ames) are supporting Hoiberg.
    Yeah but the two guys who are extremely negative and put a negative spin on things are on in the afternoon during prime listening times (after work commute crowd). I know it is part of their job to give their opinion, but when it is based on myths, half truths and very little fact, it is a crap opinion. The trouble is, casual Cyclone fans, hawkeye fans, impressionable 12 year olds that are in the back seat listening on their way to soccer, and others who do not know any better are more likely to buy into the myths, half truths, and lies. As the saying goes, something repeated long enough effects perception. If ISU is trying to lure new fans and increase their fan base, having local media like Matt P. who put a negative spin on everything ISU and CFH related doesn't help our cause.

Last edited by cayin; 08-21-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 767
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Yeah but the two guys who are extremely negative and put a negative spin on things are on in the afternoon during prime listening times (after work commute crowd). I know it is part of their job to give their opinion, but when it is based on myths, half truths and very little fact, it is a crap opinion. The trouble is, casual Cyclone fans, hawkeye fans, impressionable 12 year olds that are in the back seat listening on their way to soccer, and others who do not know any better are more likely to buy into the myths, half truths, and lies. As the saying goes, something repeated long enough effects perception. If ISU is trying to lure new fans and increase their fan base, having local media who like Matt P. who put a negative spin on everything ISU and CFH related doesn't help our cause.
    I concur, and have believed this to be true for many years.
    The same can be said for negative posts regarding our programs.

Go Cyclones

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Yeah but the two guys who are extremely negative and put a negative spin on things are on in the afternoon during prime listening times (after work commute crowd). I know it is part of their job to give their opinion, but when it is based on myths, half truths and very little fact, it is a crap opinion. The trouble is, casual Cyclone fans, hawkeye fans, impressionable 12 year olds that are in the back seat listening on their way to soccer, and others who do not know any better are more likely to buy into the myths, half truths, and lies. As the saying goes, something repeated long enough effects perception. If ISU is trying to lure new fans and increase their fan base, having local media like Matt P. who put a negative spin on everything ISU and CFH related doesn't help our cause.
    I agree with you on that but I don't think it has a big effect on the big picture. There are a lot of fans and alumni who live out of state and they never hear this show. And while I hate that it may dissuade some potential recruits, in all honesty most don't come from anywhere where they would hear this show either. I'd never heard of them 'til I was on CF.

Clone4ever

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,400
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 2

Local radio media personalities have only found the negatives in CFH's limited tenure.
    To be fair Ken Miller said he thought the hire was a home run. Deace first didn't like the hire but after thinking about liked it. Jim is fan of Iowans so he like the hire as well. Matt P I think is the only one who wasn't behind the hire. That's his opinion which he gets paid to give. Some of you Cyclone fans need to get some thicker skin.

Legend
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 810
    Given: 670

Looking at the progress that CFH has made with recruiting:

Positives (real and potential):
    - CFH didn't have a lot of recruiting history from previous job to build off of; he needs to get in the game and it would tough to get any good recruits at this point in time for the next 6 months so you take what you can get.
    - Transfers will allow for quick competitiveness - get the brand (ISU MBB) pointed in the right direction sooner rather than later and build off of some success
    - WE HAD THREE PLAYERS RETURNING WITH ANY EXPERIENCE.
    - I realize that most of the transfers can't play this year, but next year will have more D-1 experience on the court than any other option available to CFH!!!
    - Baptism by fire for the players we have - games AND practice will be a great way to get them learning sooner rather than later. Hopefully, the older new guys can help the underclassmen get through the season in good form too.

Challenges
    - It appears that there will be a lot of egos and attitudes in and out of the locker room.
    - Can CFH keep these guys on the straight and narrow?
    - Personally, I believe that McD couldn't relate to the NBA caliber players consistantly (ie WJ, the transfer situation, and the supposed discontent in the locker room). It appeared to be a large part of the struggles of the team. Maybe CFH, with his exposure to NBA talent, will know how to handle top notch players and chemistry will become an advantage instead of a disadvantage.
    - Coaching experience - getting the players used to CFH for a whole year before some of them play should help get both sides on the same page so the team is more coherent next year.

Local radio media personalities have only found the negatives in CFH's limited tenure: he hasn't coached, he hasn't been in college recruiting circles, he is bringing in troubled kids, he is taking kids from othe programs (give me a break - I know that Pollard used that as an excuse for McD, this is a different coach and IF it is an advantage in winnig games to keep kids around, then McD wasn't getting it done - CFH is hear and learned from the previous regimes mistakes).
    Frankly their (local media) logic is flawed:
    First - They commented that CFH has some grace period to get the program turned around, he doesn't have to take risks on some of these kids
    Now - They ask why is CFH giving up on this season already??? Shouldn't he be worried about winnnig games this year?? (I thought they already stated that he didn't have to win this year and now that is a problem?)
    My biggest complaint with afternoon KXNO staff is their arguments lack logic and consistancy - whatever supports their current gripe is the logic they use today.

Back to MBB, IF CFH can relate to the incoming recruits and keep their noses clean, this could be pretty excited to see the team grow this year and blossom next year. I would like to belive that with CFH living the NBA life with real NBA players, he knows how to work with talented individuals. Let's hope it all works out for the best.
    99% of FH criticism is little babies crapping their pants because they know ISU has the best situation to be the dominant basketball program in the area and now they have the right coach and stability.

Even in a tougher round robin Big 12 minus the two worst basketball schools it had, ISU is going to be a major player and a trip to Hilton is going to be a loss for nearly all opposing teams.

Media personalities with ties to Iowa, UNI, Creighton, Drake, Nebraska, etc are justifiably sour about how quickly FH has come in and laid the smackdown locking up top 50 players who can contribute in a major way in '11. Some handle it like adults. Some handle it like babies. Fran is in the same situation of inheriting an empty cupboard and who has he signed? At this point if you're more concerned about ISU than Iowa you're a transparent pathetic media hack.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 16

I'll admit that it makes me a bit nervous taking players that might have some issues. But we had pretty high character guys the last several years and they didn't stay.

As far as Giggles goes, he's an idiot who doesn't even put any logical thought into what he says. That whole thing about throwing in the towel for this year is so stupid. If Fred had gone out and gotten a bunch of guys quickly, he would be mad that he was getting talent so late in the year.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't know that there is a downside. There is a risk in doing what he is doing, but when you are damned near irrelevant like we are now (thanks again Chewy), we weren't going to make a splash by signing high profile high school kids. They wouldn't remember when Iowa State actually won games, since they were in 5-6 grade when Morgan was here beating Kansas and Texas on the road.

This is a risk, but if these guys come in and stay out of trouble, and realize that they are playing for their futures, then a lot of good things can happen here.

I am fairly certain that Fred has a plan, and that this isn't just a thrown together strategy. He knows that if we can win soon, then recruiting gets a hell of a lot easier.

BTW, don't forget that we have two high school commits for next year. Hopefully Cook is not a chip off the old block off the court, and the Odunsi can offer strong backcourt play.

In spite of how we were told repeatedly the past four years that it takes time to build "the right way." It doesn't take long to turn around a basketball program at a top 6 conference.