Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What the heck is going on with the MWC, WAC, & BYU??

Ok, I just read that BYU is wanting to go independent in Football and join the WAC or West Coast Conference for all other sports...are they nuts? Or is this just a play to get into the Big 12 now that there running mate, Utah has jumped to the big boys.

There are also all kinds of other odd stories staring to emerge like Utah State joining the MWC, San Diego State joining the WAC, Hawaii going independent in FB, Houston joining the MWC, Louisiana Tech joining CUSA, and the MWC and CUSA merging. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE??? This is not the conference Armageddon I had envisioned!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 100

Re: What the heck is going on with the MWC, WAC, & BYU??

Lets see if i can run the whole thing (and all the teams you mentioned) down

BYU was going to go independent in FB and join the WAC in everything else. This prompted 'imminent demise of the MWC' talk, and the SDSU and i believe UNLV to the wac talk.
    The MWC one upped BYU and invited Fresno State and Nevada (who accepted) (and its rumored they invited Utah State first, but its rumored they turned it down.

At this point BYU is 'still weighing its options' but as its option with the WAC for other sports is pretty much gone, its very likely they'll stay put.

Now, the MWC will have 11 teams.
    This is where you get the Houston to the MWC to get 12. They would be a great addition to get the MWC towards a BCS auto qualifier. Of course, if the Utah State offer still stands, they could get that slot. Theres some word that BYU only stays if Houston comes. Theres other word out there that UH is in, and USU *may* get in, if BYU goes indy.

If Houston goes MWC, that leaves a hole in the CUSA, and La Tech will definitely want that spot in the CUSA, especially with the WAC about to take a huge downgrade in quality.

If La Tech and Houston are gone, i believe that leaves only 5 remaining WAC members. Hawaii may find it more beneficial at this point to go FB independent and join the west coast conference for everything else.

The CUSA-MWC talk appears to have been an already arranged meeting from before all this went down. Im assuming when that was scheduled the two conferences were on more even footing. Now, with BYU, TCU, and BSU, and especially if Houston joins, the MWC would clearly be the superior conference, so a merger would not suit them. However a tv deal that used both conferences games (much like the big 12 was talking with the pac-10) could be beneficial as the two conferences would span all 4 time zones.

Also, you missed some more of the action going on with the WAC, as they're going to have to try to fill the massive holes in their conference. UTSA and Texas State have been the most mentioned. But that conference could be way too gutted to continue by the time alls said and done.

Last edited by alarson; 08-21-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 41

Those teams/conferences see the same things coming as we did. They're doing anything possible to get in and not get left out in the cold.

Legend
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 346

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    Those teams/conferences see the same things coming as we did. They're doing anything possible to get in and not get left out in the cold.
    Except where our doomsday scenario was joining a non BCS FBS conference, geographically wacked out Big East, or the MWC on the verge of BCS... Idaho, San Jose State, Hawaii, La Tech, and Utah State now have a doomsday scenario of no conference at all, moving down to FCS or being independent. If things stand it seems the only way to avoid that is trying to fast track Montana and an FCS Texas school up to FBS as fast as possible.

Things are looking great for the MWC. Which is CRAZY since they lost their best school to the Pac Ten. I wish we could swap Beebe for their commish.

Also the talk of MWC playing CUSA for a championship game was pure speculation, there was an SI.com article pointing out that rumor got out of control.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Except where our doomsday scenario was joining a non BCS FBS conference, geographically wacked out Big East, or the MWC on the verge of BCS... Idaho, San Jose State, Hawaii, La Tech, and Utah State now have a doomsday scenario of no conference at all, moving down to FCS or being independent. If things stand it seems the only way to avoid that is trying to fast track Montana and an FCS Texas school up to FBS as fast as possible.

Things are looking great for the MWC. Which is CRAZY since they lost their best school to the Pac Ten. I wish we could swap Beebe for their commish.

Also the talk of MWC playing CUSA for a championship game was pure speculation, there was an SI.com article pointing out that rumor got out of control.
    The only geographically whacked out thing about the Big East option was South Florida. Other than that, the MWC option was even more geographically whacked out.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73

I like the MWC commish. He's being proactive and making moves instead of just sitting there watching his conference crumble. Getting Fresno St. and Nevada from the WAC before BYU made their independent announcement was a brilliant chess move.

If BYU stays and the MWC gets Houston and gains BCS status...the guy deserves a ton of credit

ABC - Always Be Closing

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I wonder why the MWC isn't looking at UTEP. Geographically, it just makes sense, as does CUSA replacing them with LA Tech.

I have no idea what's going to come of NMSU, SDSU, Idaho, or USU. It wouldn't shock me to see Hawai'i go independent.

Legend
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 346

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I wonder why the MWC isn't looking at UTEP. Geographically, it just makes sense, as does CUSA replacing them with LA Tech.

I have no idea what's going to come of NMSU, SDSU, Idaho, or USU. It wouldn't shock me to see Hawai'i go independent.
    I don't think the schools and programs between UTEP and Houston are drastically different at this point (it's not the mid 80s anymore for Houston) but I think MWC is probably thinking about their network with Houston as the main rumor to round out 12.

I can't see any way the WAC builds back up to 8-10 teams without promoting some FCS schools. Right now I'd guess it's 50/50 chance of them limping along until some FCS schools come up vs. a few more joining CUSA/Sun Belt and a few others going Independent or back to FCS.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post

Houston helps more towards the BCS AQ that theyre going for

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    I like the MWC commish. He's being proactive and making moves instead of just sitting there watching his conference crumble. Getting Fresno St. and Nevada from the WAC before BYU made their independent announcement was a brilliant chess move.

If BYU stays and the MWC gets Houston and gains BCS status...the guy deserves a ton of credit
    Can we trade commishes?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.