Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 149

Twister Sister Summary - Pre/Pre-Season analysis

The sisters lost one incredible point guard, one incredible intangible player, and some good role players from last year's squad. What was interesting in hind sight is that last year's team lost a group of seniors from an elite 8 squad, brought in some freshmen and kept right on winning. Only Aus' illness kept this team from setting a season record for victories. As we look ahead we have to focus on three primary issues in my opinion:

1. Which Kelsey Bolte will be on the court? Will it be a senior leader who shows consistency, poise, and has expanded her game? Will it be the moody player who only shoots from 2-3 favorite places on the court and sometimes disappears completely from the game? Kelsey is the key to the success of this year's team. She has the capability to score in droves, she is big and relatively strong, and she has ton's of starting experience behind her. I saw growth in her last year due to Bill's continued pushing that forced her to overlook when she isn't hitting and keep on fighting through it all. Best example of that was the game against Green Bay. She was cold throughout, but came up big at the end when it was the most critical. This is the Bolt that I expect to see this year. Someone who doesn't feel like she has to do it all, but can make critical contributions when needed. Bolt is going to take the next step in her development and be the glue that holds this team together when the going gets tough. It will be a big test for her, but I think she is up to it.

2. The fab freshmen (er, sophomores). Last year was amazing from one standpoint in particular. Our coaches did an absolutely incredible job developing the hotshot group of freshmen. Prins' illness actually did Pop a big favor. It forced her into having to play more. This was a girl that came in to our program with raw talent. She couldn't shoot a free throw, couldn't hit a basket from outside of 5 feet, didn't hustle. She became a force to deal with. She scrapped for balls, she took charges, she reformatted her free throw shooting to end up hitting in the 70% range over the last part of the season, she ran the court - hard. Prins struggled throughout the season due to her illness and I think we are going to see a different person this year. We did find out that the legacy of having post players shoot and hit the 3 continues. She was deadly from long range. Now she needs to be stronger physically to make the next step. Will she? Zimm was one of those players that most reminded me of Bolt. She could completely disappear from games. She seemed slow afoot. She is a big, strong girl that needs to step up and be a pounder inside. She has the body, will she use it? My favorite player of the bunch was Jess. She has a quick step and the look in her eye would scare anyone in a dark alley. She is gritty and determined. She was (outside of Aus) the only person who could or would drive the lane on anyone last year. I want to see more. So what to expect? Pop is going to keep right on doing what she was doing, but I think her shot is going to be better from the field. It has to be. She needs to be a threat out to 15 feet. Prins is going to be stronger and in shape. We will finally see what she is capable of when she steps on the court this year. Think stronger hands. I'm not sure what to expect from Zimm. If she puts the effort into working in the off season and can get her head squared to provide some consistency she will be an effective sub off the bench. Here is my big leap of faith. I think Jess is going to be starting a lot of games this year. She may be the one player that we look back on and say "she was the difference". She definitely has the talent...but will that determination push her forward?

3. Who will be the new point guard? Will it be Jess? Could be. Will it be Darcy Dicks or Kelsey Harris? I don't think we have anyone else on the current bench that can run the team. Cole sure didn't show signs of it. Who will be the 3 point threats? Until we see these new faces on the court it will be difficult to tell what they will be when the whistle blows. We've had players that were highly heralded turn into complete flops or just spend time on the bench and with the practice squad. Will Bill strike gold again this year like he did last year? This is the one mystery piece that none of us know the answer to yet. I'm chomping at the bit to find out!!

Extra Point - we have one mystery on our hands. Where exactly will Hallie Christofferson fit in? She is a big (6'3") gal that can handle the ball (she played guard at times in high school) and has the ability to shoot. She is now facing much, much better competition. Will her body be ready physically? She is listed as a forward. Will she be able to slash to the basket? Will she hit the 3? Or will she spend the year learning from the "bigs" in front of her? I'm guessing that she will see time on the court, but in a limited roll to give Bolt a breather. I'm hoping she's more ready than that, but I'm worried about her physical presence. Time will tell.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,524
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Pre/Pre-Season analysis

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    3. Who will be the new point guard? Will it be Jess? Could be. Will it be Darcy Dicks or Kelsey Harris?
    Kelsey Harris is a SG. Lauren Mansfield is a PG, and she's probably the best bet to be starting at PG IMHO.

Ever since the first OSU game, I've been a firm supporter of the idea of getting Jess more time at PG. I don't know if it'd work or not, but I'd sure like to find out.

Last edited by mred; 08-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Kelsey Harris is a SG. Lauren Mansfield is a PG, and she's probably the best bet to be starting at PG IMHO.

Ever since the first OSU game, I've been a firm supporter of the idea of getting Jess more time at PG. I don't know if it'd work or not, but I'd sure like to find out.
    She'd be the best bet for breaking down the defense off the dribble I think. She seemed to struggle with confidence some last year (unsure of where she should be or what she should be doing), but she seemed better at the end of the year. I thought she really played well against Green Bay.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What they are classified as won't matter when the season starts. Bill will put the best he has on the court.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What they are classified as won't matter when the season starts. Bill will put the best he has on the court.
    As long as one is a PG. If your best PG isn't one of your top 5 players, then you are still going to start your best PG.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as one is a PG. If your best PG isn't one of your top 5 players, then you are still going to start your best PG.
    You missed the point. If he has a shooting guard that ends up being the best ball handler...or a forward...they will be on the court regardless of what the program says their position is. That doesn't make them a "PG", but they will fill that spot.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You missed the point. If he has a shooting guard that ends up being the best ball handler...or a forward...they will be on the court regardless of what the program says their position is. That doesn't make them a "PG", but they will fill that spot.
    I think we're on the same page. I just think that does make them a PG, even if it's as a combo guard or whatever.

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I think Lauren Mansfield will be our best bet on the point. She's from Australia, and good to say I love players from Australia. Alison Lacey, Abby Bishop, Lauren Jackson, Taylor Penny, etc all are great players. (: I am very excited to see her.

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we're on the same page. I just think that does make them a PG, even if it's as a combo guard or whatever.
    Gotcha...whatever the case may be this will be the mystery waiting to be solved going into the season. Lots of possibilities with hope that Bill continues to get gold from the 3 point shooting, ball handling mine he's been prospecting!

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

If Lauren Mansfield doesn't pan out at PG, this team will likely finish in the bottom half of the B12 and may be lucky to get into the NIT. Schroll could be an option there if Mansfield struggles. Cole could also be in the mix but her game will need to drastically improve from last season to get alot of PT.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

We will most definately make the NCAA tourny again this year. This is one of the easiest non-con schedules ever this year. Also, even though we lost AL, we still have arguably the best all around post presence in the Big 12. Pop, Zimm, and Prins will dominate down low this year.
    NU is going to take huge steps backwards this year and there is no other good teams in the north. I predict no worse that 7-3 with the north schedule this year. Even going 0-6 against the south, which wil not happen. I think 7-9 Big 12 will still get us dancing.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

maybe this?
    PG-Mansfield
    G-Bolte
    G-Schroll/Harris
    PF-Poppens
    C-Prins

Off the Bench-
    Zimmerman
    Christoppherson
    Dick

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by runningcy View Post
    maybe this?
    PG-Mansfield
    G-Bolte
    G-Schroll/Harris
    PF-Poppens
    C-Prins

Off the Bench-
    Zimmerman
    Christoppherson
    Dick
    And Cole.

One of Mansfield/Dick/Cole probably will have pretty limited minutes once the dust settles. My gut feeling is that Mansfield will be the starting PG, at least at the beginning of the season.

I agree in general with your starting 5. Z and Schroll/Harris (whoever doesn't start) will see significant minutes off the bench. I have no idea what to expect from Christofferson -- I'm really interested in seeing what she can do.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I could really see Harris being a threat bringing she 6' and can shoot seems to fit in really well

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by runningcy View Post
    maybe this?
    PG-Mansfield
    G-Bolte
    G-Schroll/Harris
    PF-Poppens
    C-Prins

Off the Bench-
    Zimmerman
    Christoppherson
    Dick
    I could see Schroll opening up the season at the point depending on how Mansfield does in early season practice. I personally think Jess brings a ton of energy off the bench, but may have to start. I could also see her playing in Denae's spot with her being a defensive stopper. The advantage she has over Denae is she is a better shooter and isn't afraid to take the ball to the hole. I think if Jess plays the point, Harris will be the other guard with Kelsey.

I think we are going to see a much different Z and Anna this year, since they were both hurt last year, and then Anna was sick. Anna was finally playing her best ball by the end of the season when she was fully healthy, and Z not playing early set her back.