Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 105,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,581
    Points
    105,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 392

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Oh dear God, dont go the cheap route. Do it right folks.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 113,924, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,860
    Points
    113,924
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton


    But how would that impact the houses to the east? Doubt that the city would OK this too easily.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 433,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,882
    Points
    433,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    But how would that impact the houses to the east? Doubt that the city would OK this too easily.
    Just purely guessing, I'm doubting a whole lot depending on if they let the parking lots continue to flood. The water displacement created by the Beach-Lincoln Way-University Boulevard-Center Street rectangle spread over Coldwater/parking lots/intramural fields/the park/etc. I'm guessing would have a minimal effect. That's a HUGE land area.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 89,036, Level: 92
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,336
    Points
    89,036
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Just purely guessing, I'm doubting a whole lot depending on if they let the parking lots continue to flood. The water displacement created by the Beach-Lincoln Way-University Boulevard-Center Street rectangle spread over Coldwater/parking lots/intramural fields/the park/etc. I'm guessing would have a minimal effect. That's a HUGE land area.
    Just lower the parking lot and let more flood water into that then.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 273,251, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,709
    Points
    273,251
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 865
    Given: 177

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    The best thing to protect Hilton would to add a berm that started up by MWL running down the south side of Lincoln Way, and over along the west side of University to Center Street. Than engineer something that closes off the two pedestrian walk ways under Center Street leading to Hilton.

    BAM, problem solved!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilde.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	7820  


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 08-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    You know what would be easiest? Not building all our most important athletic facilities on a flood plain.


    Last edited by AlleyAddict; 08-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 433,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,882
    Points
    433,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyAddict View Post
    You know what would be easiest? Not building all our most important athletic facilities on a flood plane.
    Ames is a flood plain.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Ames is a flood plain.
    Ok, the lowest part of the Ames flood plain.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,881, Level: 83
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,269
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,543
    Points
    71,881
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 156

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Ames is a flood plain.
    I'm no riverologist, but why don't we just redirect the river.











    This is a joke.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I'm no riverologist, but why don't we just redirect the river.











    This is a joke.
    Funny you should mention that, I'm in the riverology program.






    This is a joke too.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 116,876, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,321
    Points
    116,876
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 316

    There already is a levee around Hilton

    At first, I liked the idea of building a levee around Hilton (actually around the Iowa State Center). However, it has to be done well.

    Because there is already a levee! The road south of Hilton acts like a levee and may have been part of the problem. I went to Hilton on Tuesday morning during the worst of the flooding. And I went past the barricades right up to where the road behind Hilton was covered. I noticed a huge burst of water coming out from under one of the overpasses. It looked like there was a huge pump under the road that was pumping water into the parking lot. You could see the water flow go for more than 100 feet.

    Upon further inspection, there was no pump. It was just the result of having so much water pressure on the Hilton/Scheman side of the road! The water was just shooting out of the pedestrian tunnel under the road behind Hilton into the big parking lot.

    Thus, I wonder if the flooding would have been as bad if the road/levee behind Hilton hadn't been there and the water could have flowed more freely and quickly into the big parking lots.

    Perhaps it was actually the levee that caused the water to get so high around Hilton and Scheman! Perhaps if the water could have flowed more freely and quickly to lower/wider areas, it might not have accumulated so high and done so much damage to Hilton and Scheman.

    I'm not an expert, but this seems to be a variable that needs to be considered.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,438, Level: 73
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,660
    Points
    56,438
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 52

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I'm no riverologist, but why don't we just redirect the river.











    This is a joke.
    Build a resevoir north of Ames like Saylovrville. Let Gilbert get flooded...

    Then we could start a womens rowing team and bring back ISU baseball and still be in compliance with Title IX! (j/k)



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 105,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,581
    Points
    105,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Considers Levee to Protect Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Build a resevoir north of Ames like Saylovrville. Let Gilbert get flooded...

    Then we could start a womens rowing team and bring back ISU baseball and still be in compliance with Title IX! (j/k)
    There actually was an Ames Reservoir on the Skunk River north of Ames in the Corps of Engineers' plans back in the late '60s and preliminary environmental studies were carried out, but it never went farther than that. It wouldn't have helped much with Squaw Creek though.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 433,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,882
    Points
    433,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

    Re: There already is a levee around Hilton

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    At first, I liked the idea of building a levee around Hilton (actually around the Iowa State Center). However, it has to be done well.

    Because there is already a levee! The road south of Hilton acts like a levee and may have been part of the problem. I went to Hilton on Tuesday morning during the worst of the flooding. And I went past the barricades right up to where the road behind Hilton was covered. I noticed a huge burst of water coming out from under one of the overpasses. It looked like there was a huge pump under the road that was pumping water into the parking lot. You could see the water flow go for more than 100 feet.

    Upon further inspection, there was no pump. It was just the result of having so much water pressure on the Hilton/Scheman side of the road! The water was just shooting out of the pedestrian tunnel under the road behind Hilton into the big parking lot.

    Thus, I wonder if the flooding would have been as bad if the road/levee behind Hilton hadn't been there and the water could have flowed more freely and quickly into the big parking lots.

    Perhaps it was actually the levee that caused the water to get so high around Hilton and Scheman! Perhaps if the water could have flowed more freely and quickly to lower/wider areas, it might not have accumulated so high and done so much damage to Hilton and Scheman.

    I'm not an expert, but this seems to be a variable that needs to be considered.
    If no water gets over there in the first place, there's no issue. The issue comes about when the parking lots get water in them, Hilton is below that (tunnel is downhill under Center Street). Water was over both Lincoln Way and University Boulevard, and coming in from the tunnels. You can eliminate the majority of that if you raise University Boulevard. That will prevent Lied/Soccer Complex/MWL intramural fields from taking on any outside water from Squaw and well as Hilton/Scheman. The only other issue would be making sure they can seal off the pedestrian tunnels, which should be ridiculously easy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM