Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 584

2 technology questions

#1 I've put firefox along with some other items in my startup menu and everything starts fine but when the pages load in firefox the first time I always get a "server can't be found" error or something like this. I think what is happening is that the browser is loading before my internet connection even starts . Once I hit refresh everything is fine. I think part of my problem is that I have an SSD so the start up is VERY fast and it doesn't allow enough time for the LAN connection to start. Not a huge deal or anything but any ideas on a fix?

#2 I hate the idea of carrying around a work BB and a personal smartphone. Does anyone work for a large company that allows you to use your personal smartphone to get work email? What type of security is in place.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 359

Re: 2 technology questions

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    #1 I've put firefox along with some other items in my startup menu and everything starts fine but when the pages load in firefox the first time I always get a "server can't be found" error or something like this. I think what is happening is that the browser is loading before my internet connection even starts . Once I hit refresh everything is fine. I think part of my problem is that I have an SSD so the start up is VERY fast and it doesn't allow enough time for the LAN connection to start. Not a huge deal or anything but any ideas on a fix?

#2 I hate the idea of carrying around a work BB and a personal smartphone. Does anyone work for a large company that allows you to use your personal smartphone to get work email? What type of security is in place.
    I had this problem with Firefox when I first switched to it a few years ago. Importing my settings from IE fixed the problem and it's probably worth a try. File - Import - IE - Next.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 529

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

On #2. Most will allow it, but they will take over your phone. Smart IT depts will have strict policies on BB that are sent from a BB server. So if you want this to happen, be prepared to lose some control. I guess it also depends on their policy of having to sift through your personal calls to get to the business ones.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 60

Q1) How are you connecting to your network, hardwire or wireless? If hardwired, it should be there 24/7 (unless you're disabling the NIC every time you're off the internet) if you're using a DSL or Cable ISP, so FF should find the connection immediately. If wireless, is there a way to start it up before launching FF, or make it a continuous connection? Most wireless connections I've setup for family are continuous.

Q2) That question needs to brought up with your company IT people. Most companies/corporations use proprietary security software and install it on most of their network devices having access to the internet. Plus using a personal network device depends on corporate policy whether they allow the use of personal devices, or not.

Last edited by drednot57; 08-20-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

#2 is definitely one to ask your IT dept. I know at my work place they won't allow it. They have strict security policies in place where you can only get company email on a company provided BB and just to get approved for one of those requires a lot of upper management approvals as well.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 157

#2: What is your personal phone? What type of email system does your work use?

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 157

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    #2 is definitely one to ask your IT dept. I know at my work place they won't allow it. They have strict security policies in place where you can only get company email on a company provided BB and just to get approved for one of those requires a lot of upper management approvals as well.
    My company has the same policy but I managed to get access anyway using Touchdown on my Android. Technically I'm not supposed to do it but I know my boss is pretty happy when he can send me an email when I'm not near my PC.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    Q1) How are you connecting to your network, hardwire or wireless? If hardwired, it should be there 24/7 (unless you're disabling the NIC every time you're off the internet) if you're using a DSL or Cable ISP, so FF should find the connection immediately. If wireless, is there a way to start it up before launching FF, or make it a continuous connection? Most wireless connections I've setup for family are continuous.
    Wired and Cable. This only happening during startup.

I think it has to do with the controller not starting quick enough. The controller is Realtek PLCe GBE. I made sure the settings are set to "don't allow the computer to trun off this device to save power"

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    #2: What is your personal phone? What type of email system does your work use?
    I don't have a smartphone yet and won't get one until my company starts allowing this to happen. I doubt if the do in the near future.

Exchange

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The more I think about this, it may have to do with some settings on my router. This didn't happen before I got a new Lynksis router.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    My company has the same policy but I managed to get access anyway using Touchdown on my Android. Technically I'm not supposed to do it but I know my boss is pretty happy when he can send me an email when I'm not near my PC.
    It's pretty locked down here that I doubt that's even possible to do what you did without being added to our enterprise Blackberry server plus any 3rd party software most users can't even install on their PCs because very few people actually have admin privilidges.

Go Cubs Go!