Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 68

Flooding Press Conference

Just listened to the flooding update press conference on cyclones.com.

One thing that stuck out for me was that the lead time to procure new floor level seats in Hilton is 18 weeks. Other options include purchasing 2,500 chairs to provide floor seating (on the risers?).

That and the FPM department is buring $18,000/day of fuel to power generators, trucks, ect.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Re: Flooding Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post

One thing that stuck out for me was that the lead time to procure new floor level seats in Hilton is 18 weeks. Other options include purchasing 2,500 chairs to provide floor seating (on the risers?).

That and the FPM department is buring $18,000/day of fuel to power generators, trucks, ect.
    Ouch. That number hurts. How long do they think they will be doing this for?

Last edited by CyGal; 08-19-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    Ouch. That number hurts. How long do they think they will be doing this for?
    The common answer was "as long as it takes to quickly get places back to a safe condition to renovate".

They hired two disaster cleanup companies (~500 people) to do the hard work. One company for outdoor/flat surfaces (parking & fields). The other for interior work.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

The common answer was "as long as it takes to quickly get places back to a safe condition to renovate".

They hired two disaster cleanup companies (~500 people) to do the hard work. One company for outdoor/flat surfaces (parking & fields). The other for interior work.
    What needs to be done to flood-proof the thing? Seems it wouldn't take moving heaven and earth but this is twice in a decade-ish... Maybe it makes sense?

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    What needs to be done to flood-proof the thing? Seems it wouldn't take moving heaven and earth but this is twice in a decade-ish... Maybe it makes sense?
    The things they had in placed functioned correctly. The problem was that the water hit record heights where they didn't plan to have to hold it off. They just need to address the risks in the parts that are higher than they expected. Like the west entrance of Hilton.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    They said that the areas that failed in 1993 (and upgraded there after) did not fail this time. It was new areas of failure. I'd be willing to bet that if FEMA & other insurances come through as believed that you will see Elwood (that's right ELWOOD!) raised and a burm (sp?) added like around MWL.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 448
    Given: 119

Ian Smith is there covering this for CF. I'll post his report later on today.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They were also taking a tour of Hilton for new video/pictures for the media.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 155

They said that the areas that failed in 1993 (and upgraded there after) did not fail this time. It was new areas of failure. I'd be willing to bet that if FEMA & other insurances come through as believed that you will see Elwood (that's right ELWOOD!) raised and a burm (sp?) added like around MWL.
    Yeah, I wonder if they forgot that just because they block off one area of water, the water will go someplace else. No matter what they do, that flood water will be flooding some other place, they need to find a way to contain it all to the East side of Elwood/University and the only way I see that happening is raising the road, with no low sections. One low section and the water will just run through it like a river and flood the same place all over again.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'd be surprised to see University itself raised. The really vulnerable spot is north of Lincoln way, by the train bridge. Meaning they'd have to raise the Lincoln way instersection as well. Not so mention S 4th and possibly S 16th. That's alot of raising, A LOT of work. 4 lane divided road.

And frankly, not sure I'd like that idea. It'd be gov't and they'd do the bare minimum. Seems that it'd be easier to put a larger berm around Hilton, MWL and Lied - like you suggested. Could be higher (if only a foot or two) and I'd think far less costly, and wouldn't have the impact on the east side of the creek (pushing water there).

Putting a flood gate on that train bridge would be a good start. But looking at the photos, I completely forgot about the creek that runs through campus, between Lied & MWL, and empties into Squaw. What the heck do you do there?

Last edited by DaddyMac; 08-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,921
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    The things they had in placed functioned correctly. The problem was that the water hit record heights where they didn't plan to have to hold it off. They just need to address the risks in the parts that are higher than they expected. Like the west entrance of Hilton.
    Wrong wrong wrong. They did not place things correctly. The water should have been held back if they were prepared/knew what they were doing.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 244

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I'd be surprised to see University itself raised. The really vulnerable spot is north of Lincoln way, by the train bridge. Meaning they'd have to raise the Lincoln way instersection as well. Not so mention S 4th and possibly S 16th. That's alot of raising, A LOT of work. 4 lane divided road.

And frankly, not sure I'd like that idea. It'd be gov't and they'd do the bare minimum. Seems that it'd be easier to put a larger berm around Hilton, MWL and Lied - like you suggested. Could be higher (if only a foot or two) and I'd think far less costly, and wouldn't have the impact on the east side of the creek (pushing water there).

Putting a flood gate on that train bridge would be a good start. But looking at the photos, I completely forgot about the creek that runs through campus, between Lied & MWL, and empties into Squaw. What the heck do you do there?
    Sometimes they reroute the creek, bury it, allow pooling upstream, or combo.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

I don't think they'd actually need to raise University Boulevard much at all to make it effective. There was only a foot or so of water over the road, so if you raised it a couple feet from 4th to Lincoln Way, you prevent water from going through there. If you raise Lincoln Way a couple feet where there was about a foot of water, you alleviate the north side. Center Drive is a natural barrier, and Beach also provides a natural barrier so the ISC is protected. Flood gates on the tunnels and Hilton/Scheman/CY Stephens are sealed off. If they lose the parking lots between JTS and Hilton, oh well.

The little creek that runs through campus is the least of their worries.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 216

Just build a big freakin levi around Hilton. It really don't seem to hard if you ask me.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 727
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Weren't those seats already removable, folding type seats? I thought that they were already on risers to be removed easily. I guess I thought the first two rows of parquet seats that got water would be the bigger issue.