Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Why are you a fan??

I think it's always interesting to hear why people are fans of certain teams - the story of how it all began... especially when you grew up in a state like Iowa with no pro sports teams. Share your stories for any and all teams you follow - MLB, NFL, NBA, etc...

NFL - Houston Oilers, Tennesee Titans.
    I was 10 or 11 and I was watching the first game of the season (1991 I think) between the Oilers and the Raiders. My older brother was a huge Raiders fan and we were always competitive. He told me that the Raiders would roll the Oilers. So after a cool opening feature on Warren Moon, I decided that if the Oilers won the game, then they were my team. Oilers won 47-17 and I followed the Oilers until they were killed off. Now it's the Titans for me.

MLB - St. Louis Cardinals
    Started playing midget league and local little league baseball probably around age 6. My brother was a big Twins fan at the time since he had been with other family to see a couple of games at the Dome. I was really just starting to get into baseball and we took a family vacation to St. Louis. When I saw Busch stadium for the first time and saw Ozzie Smith do a back flip... I was hooked. I bought Cardinals arm bands to wear in my little league games. So cool at the time. Ozzie and Mark McGwire were my favorite players as kids. When McGwire was eventually traded to St. Louis I was in heaven.

NBA- LA Lakers
    As a kid, just loved me some showtime. So fun watching a team that could score in transition and blow open a game with athleticism. Loved that style as a kid. Very similar to Johnny Orr's teams.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Why are you a fan??

Twins - Dad took me and my brothers to a game every summer. Met Bert Blyleven in 1987, that was enough for me.
    Vikings - My immediate family is all Bears fans, but my grandfather swayed me to the dark side.
    NBA - Overall I think the NBA sucks. I think it's because, by comparison to the college game, it's not near as fun to watch. Was a Jazz fan when Hornacek was there, Pacers with Hoiberg then Tinsley. Suppose when it comes down to it, I always have stayed a steady Bulls supporter and a fan of ISU guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

MLB: Yankees -> When I was way younger we were up in the Dome watching a Yankees/Twins game and beforehand, Tino Martinez and Bernie Williams were signing autographs. Tino autographed my hat and at that moment became my favorite player and the Yankees my favorite team.

NFL: Vikings were always what was on TV, and my dad's a Vikes fan, so naturally it just came to me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Cyclone Fan- Because i can be.

Vikings Fan- Grew up watching them. Dad is a huge Vikes fan.

Cubs Fan- Same thing. Grew up watching them with my Grandpa.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 699

MLB - Cincinnati Reds:
    Moved to Dayton, OH from Indianapolis when I was still a baby and spent my whole childhood there. Graduated HS there. I've been a Reds fan since before I can remember. Once me and my buddies got our licenses, we'd make the 45 minutes trip to Cincinnati about 15 times a year.

NFL - Indianapolis Colts
    Born in Indy. Both of my parents were born there and went to IU. All of my extended family still lives there and 2 of my aunts/uncles are season ticket holders.

NBA - Pacers
    Same as above. Reggie Miller was my hero growing up. BOOM BABY!

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

ISU - Alumn and in my blood.

NFL - Use to be the Packers (home state) until I discovered how much better college football is..pretty gave it up.

MLB - (Brewers) have not followed it since the strike and 'roids have ruined the record books forever.

NBA - use to follow the Celtics during the Bird years. Not so much now.

Last edited by Palmer; 08-18-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Carrying the banner for ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 35

Vikings: Just started dating this hot chick in high school who liked the vikes because of their colors. I decided to like the vikes as well if it would help me to score. In the end, I scored, dropped the chick and stayed a fan of the Vikings.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Philadelphia Eagles: In 1985, as I was starting to really understand football at age 9, there was this QB out of UNLV named Randall Cunningham. He changed my view of the QB position 4ever. I didn't know how bad it was to be an Eagles fan until many years later, but still stick with the Birds.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,107
    Given: 53

NFL- 49ers. I remember seeing a piece on Jerry Rice, about his work ethic and how he felt his hands were so good because when he was younger his dad, who was a bricklayer, would toss down bricks and it was Jerry's job to make sure they didn't break. I went from liking him to liking the 49ers and have ever since.

NBA-Orlando. Just when I started getting into sports, they became a new team. I was about 6, so I thought, why not? I've followed them for 20 years now.

I'm also a secondary Colts fan, because I admired Peytom Manning (to and extent) like I did Jerry Rice. It doesn't hurt that I now live in Indianapolis. It's hard not to get swept up in it all in town here.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248

Seattle Storm: Because they have Sue Bird, obviously.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

Manchester United. I have ancestors from England.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 98

I hate to say this, but I grew up a Hawk fan. My dad is a huge Hawk fan, and so are every one of his close friends. These guys have been around so long they are all like father figures, so that was just the way it was.

That said, I remember the day this changed for me like it was yesterday, even though it happend close to 25 years ago.
    I was at an Iowa basketball game with my dad. They were playing Creighton. My favorite player was Val Barnes (always liked guard play, and that guy could light it up). Barnes was on fire, putting up something like 30-35 points on the Jays. Here I am, an 8 year old kid, going nuts because my favorite player was going off, and I hear a guy tell me to sit down and be quiet. I turn around, and there are 2 30-somethings, wearing Hawkeye gear giving me the stink-eye and sitting on their hands. Again, I was 8, so I sat down (give me another 8 years, and I'd have told them where to stick it) and just slunk into my seat. I remember it hurt my feelings.

On the way home, my dad asked how I liked it, and I told him the story. I told him I didn't really enjoy the experience because of it. He told me those guys were just ********, and, not to worry about it (he had wondered why I didn't let him know, because he would have told them where to stick it if he had known).

Anyway, a year later, I saw my first Iowa State game at Hilton. At this game and venue, I saw 80 year old grandmothers on their feet, going nuts...the entire game. I looked around, and EVERYONE was doing the same...I mean everyone.

It was at that moment I thought to myself..."These are my people, this is something I can support, and I want to be a part of it".

I have been a Cyclone ever since.

Cubs: They were like Saturday Morning cartoons for me. Loved Harry Carey and Steve Stone, and they were on TV everyday (god love WGN, channel 9).

Jets: Wayne Cherbet. There D has always been good too. I have always enjoyed the blue collar attitude of this organization.

Red Wings: Steve Yzerman was a machine on NHLPA (Sega).

NBA: I am not a fan because it's not the kind of basketball that appeals to me anymore. I enjoyed the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls and Pistons of yesteryear, but that is long gone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 6

NFL: Grew up watching the Pack with my dad.
    MLB: I loved Sammy Sosa and I started paying attention to baseball when he was there.

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Iowa State Cyclones: 3rd generation Cyclone. It's in my blood. Still have the yearbook Fred Hoiberg sent me from the 1993-1994 season.

St. Louis Cardinals: Saw Ozzie Smith play in 1993 against the Atlanta Braves while we were on family vacation. To this day, the pennant I (ok, money from dad) bought at the game is hanging in my room.

Green Bay Packers: Dad is a Packer's fan. Grew up following the green and gold.

Seattle Sonics/OKC Thundaaaargh: Took a trip in 7th grade and got to meet Gary Payton, Vin Baker, Brent Barry, Horace Grant, Rashard Lewis etc. Also took pictures with Allen Iverson (76ers) and Chris Webber (Kings).

Pete & Amy
    Two great ISU fans, congratulations on the wedding!
    Paul Rhoads

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
    --Steve Prefontaine

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

But seriously I am from southwest Iowa and the Chiefs represent that part of the state. Kansas City represents 6 states actually. My family has been season ticket holders since Municipal Stadium.

Where i'm from the Royals and Cardinals are the norm. When I was a kid both were two of the better franchise's in baseball.

I was born a Cyclone. Hornacek and Grayer were my guys when the other kids liked Roy Marble.