Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

what happened to the NBA?

I grew up watching the "good old days" of the Lakers, Celtics, and 76ers. You could turn on a game in the Finals and see Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Bird, McHale, and Parrish all on the floor at the same time. I turned the game on again tonight much to my own dismay and there is LeBron surrounded by a group of average players at best. The Spurs of course have Duncan and Parker but no other great players. Why has the level of talent dropped off so badly??

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Re: what happened to the NBA?

The level isn't so bad, you are just picking a bad time to watch IMO. If Cleveland played out west, I'm not sure they would get out of the first round. I'd say Bowen and Ginobili are also nice players for the Spurs. This is just a crappy finish to what was a really good NBA playoffs.

I also think we were spoiled by the NBA of the 80's and the Jordan years of the 90's.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree drive. But not sure the East is getting help.....I know of at least 2 teams in the West that are going to get A LOT better next year. NBA isn't in disarray, but David Stern....good lord, you've got to figure out the annual catastrophy know as the NBA lottery.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 218

Now I havn't followed NBA very closely - ever - so take this how you may, but to me it feels like it's just not much of a team game anymore.
    Sure we all know the name LeBraun(sp?) James, but can you name anyone else on the TEAM?
    I could be wrong on this but that's just the perception I have as someone that watches 'now and then'.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Great players can elevate the play of their team mates. Ie: The Jordon years with the Bulls, or on a more personal level the Fizer and Tinsley years at ISU.

Mr. James still has to work on that.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

The Spurs have an excellent team.

Bowen has been all NBA defense for many years. Ginobili is a 6th man that would be the number one scoring option on a dozen other teams. Parker will be an All-Star for the next 10 years. Duncan is quite possibly the best power forward ever and he'll have 4 rings pretty soon to mock Malone and Barkley with.

Michael Finley, Brent Barry, and Alberto as 6th through 8th options is crazy. There hasn't been a team this deep since the Lakers hey-day (and not the mini one with Shaq)

The Cavs are definately out matched - but Gooden and Varajo (even though his scoop shot didn't look like it) have been solid and the IZ has been an all-star center when he's not hurt. The Pistons are probably the class of the East right now - but the Cavs won, so they deserve to be there, that's why they play the games to overuse the cliche

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The problem with the NBA is marketing. They figured out it is easier to market an individual than a team, i.e. Shaq, Kobe, LeBron and so on. I think that is where I think it went wrong.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Now I havn't followed NBA very closely - ever - so take this how you may, but to me it feels like it's just not much of a team game anymore.
    Sure we all know the name LeBraun(sp?) James, but can you name anyone else on the TEAM?
    I could be wrong on this but that's just the perception I have as someone that watches 'now and then'.
    There are definately several "styles" in the NBA these days.

1) the team defense team
    2) the high octane offensive team
    3) the star - isolation team
    4) the no-star, do what you can team

The Spurs and Pistons play hard defense and then eek out some points ala the hack fests that were the Knicks and Heat of Jordans era

The Suns and Mavs run, and run and run some more and try to outscore you. think old-school Nuggets

The third is the most prevalent: Lakers, Cavs, Timberwolves and a plethroa of others clear out and let the star do the work. This should be limited some by the recent re-introduction of the zone defense. It's painful to watch if your not an fan of the team in question.

The Warriors, Bulls, Hornets, Jazz, are just trying to get by and are sometimes successful sometimes not with a bunch of role playes ... what's sad is that sometimes their more fun to watch than the star teams.

Teams in the NBA, like the NFL, do what they need to do and copy success. So if you want changes cheer for the teams whose style you prefer to do well.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,539
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 137

The Spurs are NOT a great team, they shouldve lost to the Suns, but they had a mishap with Nash and a few players. The real problem with the NBA is the favortism towards certain teams. The officiating always takes the side of the older, more veteran players. The Spurs are getting away with murder out there, they have all playoffs. The officials are very biased on who and what they make calls on. Jordan always got the calls, but not until he was a winner.
    Anyway, the officials are a joke. If youre a superstar... that was in the act. If not...its a TO.

#BEATIOWA

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The problem is marketing...

The Spurs are clearly the better club.....but the casual fan hasn't any clues since Lebron's highlights from the Pistons' series seem to be outplaying a broken record. Ironically too, he's not even the best guy on the court....

NBA has and always will market the PLAYER. Right now it's got the problem of one helluva confused viewing audience.

Tim you beat me to it!

Last edited by thakeepa14; 06-12-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by thakeepa14 View Post
    The problem is marketing...

The Spurs are clearly the better club.....but the casual fan hasn't any clues since Lebron's highlights from the Pistons' series seem to be outplaying a broken record. Ironically too, he's not even the best guy on the court....

NBA has and always will market the PLAYER. Right now it's got the problem of one helluva confused viewing audience.

Tim you beat me to it!
    I agree. The "Lebron this" and "Lebron that" as the Spurs are kicking *** - is pretty pathetic.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The reason I don't watch it is becaues I am tired of cocky thugs spouting off and showboating all the time. If those guys are the stars of your league I don't want any part of it. I loved watching Jordan play when I was a kid. It's too bad that it ruins the perceptions of alot of outstanding individuals (Duncan and Nash).
    The reason I can handle it in football is becaues if someone runs their mouth, the next week they have 11 guys gunning for them trying to knock their head off. They learn to keep their mouth shut. Plus the ego can only rise as high as the teams.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Anyway, the officials are a joke. If youre a superstar... that was in the act. If not...its a TO.
    Did you miss Lebron's no call to end the game? Superstar's will get special treatment, but the real problem is all-around inconsistancy. Basketball in general is about the toughest sport to officiate, and the college game is no different.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    The Spurs are NOT a great team, they shouldve lost to the Suns, but they had a mishap with Nash and a few players. The real problem with the NBA is the favortism towards certain teams. The officiating always takes the side of the older, more veteran players. The Spurs are getting away with murder out there, they have all playoffs. The officials are very biased on who and what they make calls on. Jordan always got the calls, but not until he was a winner.
    4 championships in 9 years isn't great? Duncan is their oldest player of the big three - so they'll be ringing up championships for the next 6-8 years.

The ref arguement is so f'n weak. Every team (including the one this site is devoted to) has a contingent of fans who routinely blame the refs for everything from loses to the death of the first borns. The NBA officials are probably the MOST watched officials ever since Cuban bought the Mavs. He employs individuals to perform "unbiased" analysis and send the league offices tapes every week. They're being critiqued by two differing bodies.

You have no credentials, yet you criticize indescriminately, nice.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This Finals is a sleeper and a half...wowzer. I wish the NHL playoffs weren't over :(