Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Smile Anyone a Graphic Design major?

How hard is the program? What did you like the most/hate the most. Do you have a design job?

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Anyone a Graphic Design major?

I was for two semesters. Not hard but time consuming. Wasn't a good fit for what I was doing with athletics.

It was undergraduate major number 2 of 5 I had at ISU, so take my view with a grain of salt ...

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MookInLincoln View Post
    I was for two semesters. Not hard but time consuming. Wasn't a good fit for what I was doing with athletics.
    Did you actually get accepted into the program or did you just do the core program?

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyKiller View Post
    Did you actually get accepted into the program or did you just do the core program?
    Freshman year only. Bounced all over the College of Design for year and a half before moving across campus to Physical Education, finally graduated with B.S. Exercise Science

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 60

The Graphic Design program at ISU is selective. You start by taking your foundation classes for Art and Design in your first year. From those classes you build your first portfolio. Based on the strength of your portfolio, grade point average and grade/paper written for a GD intro class you take (i think it's 177), you are then voted on by secret ballot to see if you are worthy to enter the program.

From there, it's what you put into it, like anything else in life. I will say that there are many studio classes you're going to be required to take and they require a lot of time, creativity and more importantly, results.

Graphic Design isn't for the weak of heart. Nor is it some half-***ed, breeze through, design degree. You're going to spend a lot of late nights in the Design Center, so just get ready for that, it's part of the competitive culture.

What I liked most was the camaraderie with my class classmates. The late nights finishing projects, knowing you did good work.

I liked waking up in the morning an being surrounded by like-minded individuals at the Design Center. Being influenced not only by what I was learning in class, but by what others were learning/making as well. It's a totally unique experience and one that is nearly impossible to recreate in the real world.

What did I dislike? That's tough. It's a double edged sword because I hated how much effort it took to be good, but at the same time, it showed in my portfolio when I went to look for my first job.

Yes, I am employed. I'm a freelance graphic designer, working in print and web. Life it good.

Last edited by LindenCy; 08-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

How hard is the program? What did you like the most/hate the most. Do you have a design job?
    Having a design degree and having friends that are graphic designers, it's time consuming and the pay isn't great. However, a person can do decently well with freelancing on the side.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 1,220

Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post

What I liked most was the camaraderie with my class classmates. The late nights finishing projects, knowing you did good work.

I liked waking up in the morning an being surrounded by like-minded individuals at the Design Center. Being influenced not only by what I was learning in class, but by what other were learning/making as well. It's a totally unique experience and one that is nearly impossible to recreate in the real world.
    Those are some serious late nights if you woke up in the Design Center.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Those are some serious late nights if you woke up in the Design Center.
    ^ ^ Emphasized for truth. ^ ^

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post
    The Graphic Design program at ISU is selective. You start by taking your foundation classes for Art and Design in your first year. From those classes you build your first portfolio. Based on the strength of your portfolio, grade point average and grade/paper written for a GD intro class you take (i think it's 177), you are then voted on by secret ballot to see if you are worthy to enter the program.

From there, it's what you put into it, like anything else in life. I will say that there are many studio classes you're going to be required to take and they require a lot of time, creativity and more importantly, results.

Graphic Design isn't for the weak of heart. Nor is it some half-assed, breeze through, design degree. You're going to spend a lot of late nights in the Design Center, so just get ready for that, it's part of the competitive culture.

I liked waking up in the morning an being surrounded by like-minded individuals at the Design Center. Being influenced not only by what I was learning in class, but by what others were learning/making as well. It's a totally unique experience and one that is nearly impossible to recreate in the real world.

What did I dislike? That's tough. It's a double edged sword because I hated how much effort it took to be good, but at the same time, it showed in my portfolio when I went to look for my first job.

Yes, I am employed. I'm a freelance graphic designer, working in print and web. Life it good.

Thanks for the insight, I've always heard that the Graphic Design program is hard to get into. So I'm nervous about it. Hopefully I will get into the program, It seems like they only take 77 students per year. Which doesnt seem like many at all. I'm gonna take it one step at a time though and try to do very well with each step.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wasn't a graphic design major, so I can't really help you.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    I wasn't a graphic design major, so I can't really help you.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 26

i applied for the program but didn't get it. it was weird i thought. They looked more at your fine art skills then graphic design skills. this was also back in 1999 so not a lot of computer graphics yet. Anyway, i graduated with a visual studies major.

I work as a graphic/web designer for Meredith Corp in Des Moines.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by yez View Post
    Having a design degree and having friends that are graphic designers, it's time consuming and the pay isn't great. However, a person can do decently well with freelancing on the side.
    I'd agree with Helechopper and Yez's posts above. Great time working/designing/studying with classmates and the opportunity to go overseas (Rome for a semester) is just about impossible to beat. I'm still in contact with a good portion of the guys/gals I was in school with.

The statement about you get out what you put into it is so true. If you get accepted, you can half-*** the design classes and such, but your portfolio will show that and you'll be hard-pressed to find work. If you really strive to learn and develop your skills, and put in the time and hard work the projects demand... you should have a strong portfolio and a great foundation which employers will recognize.

One disagreement with Yez's post is the pay... It's true that it is not great pay directly out of school with the entry-level positions. But when you start getting into Art Director level and above positions, the pay can be quite nice.

School will definitely NOT teach you everything. I had to learn all of the software almost entirely on my own. That can be frustrating and time consuming, but is a must if you want to succeed.

I'm a print designer and have been employed since I graduated in 2002. Even in hard times (post-9/11 and recent economic times) there is a need for good creative. I'd encourage you to get into the web side of design and not just limit yourself to print. That's the future and that's also where the good money is.

Good luck and have fun.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry. Just being a smart ***. Hope you get into the program.

Last edited by LindenCy; 08-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the insight, I've always heard that the Graphic Design program is hard to get into. So I'm nervous about it. Hopefully I will get into the program, It seems like they only take 77 students per year. Which doesnt seem like many at all. I'm gonna take it one step at a time though and try to do very well with each step.
    And that's how you succeed in the ISU GD program (and anything in life really), take it step by step, class by class. If you do this diligently, keeping focus, working hard, you'll get in and experience success.

But as you go through all of these classes and projects, think about how they stack up against professional work as far as concept and craft. Don't just do the work because it's in front of you. Do it to make it as awesome as humanly possible.