Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 96

Mini laptops

My daughter wants one for birthday and I've been asked to research them by her Grandma. I'm not buying it but are they worth a damn and would they be useful for high school school work?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

Re: Mini laptops

I wouldnt buy one for school work. You need the desktop realestate for productivity. If all she did was surf the net and type a few emails than sure. But not for school.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Yes and maybe. I'm not so sure about the high school thing. College I'd say definitely...high school its a little less practical where you don't take electronic notes as often, or want to surf the internet during class.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    My daughter wants one for birthday and I've been asked to research them by her Grandma. I'm not buying it but are they worth a damn and would they be useful for high school school work?

if you're talking about a "netbook", you can almost have mine for free. It's a piece of junk, even for just surfing the web.

Most of them use the Intel Atomic processor, which can support 1G of RAM - try watching youtube videos with that, or even loading a lot of graphic webpages. Also, the touch pad sensitivity is way off and locks up continually. I wish I would have bought a cheap, XP laptop.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Rookie
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

I just bought an HP Mini 210. I like it. I mainly just bought it so we have something small and easy to store around the house so we don't have to rely on the DT for internet access. (I have wireless for work) Email and internet are about all its good for. Gaming no, video is ok. I got a good deal on the mini but if one was going cost around $400-$500, just get a notebook.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    if you're talking about a "netbook", you can almost have mine for free. It's a piece of junk, even for just surfing the web.

Most of them use the Intel Atomic processor, which can support 1G of RAM - try watching youtube videos with that, or even loading a lot of graphic webpages. Also, the touch pad sensitivity is way off and locks up continually. I wish I would have bought a cheap, XP laptop.
    Indeed. I know some that get by on netbooks and even use them as their main work pcs, but i think most need a full fledged processor for normal use.

I just got this one last week, its light (3.7lbs) has good battery life, has a full featured core i3 processor, made by a quality manufacturer (asus) and at about $700 is at the lower end of laptops (though not into the netbook price range... but those have a lot less functionality)

Amazon.com: ASUS U35F-X1 Thin and Light 13.3-Inch Laptop (up to 10 Hours of Battery Life): Computer & Accessories

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If you connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse they are ok for light surfing and email.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I would not get anything smaller than a 15.6 for me. I like the number pad on the side also, which I believe the minis do not have. We got an HP on Black Friday last year and it works great.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I just got this one last week, its light (3.7lbs) has good battery life, has a full featured core i3 processor, made by a quality manufacturer (asus) and at about $700 is at the lower end of laptops (though not into the netbook price range... but those have a lot less functionality)

Amazon.com: ASUS U35F-X1 Thin and Light 13.3-Inch Laptop (up to 10 Hours of Battery Life): Computer & Accessories
    Awesome; this is probably what I'd like to replace my netbook with!

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post

Most of them use the Intel Atomic processor, which can support 1G of RAM - try watching youtube videos with that, or even loading a lot of graphic webpages.
    The 1G limit is Microsoft's limit for licensing XP for Netbooks. Most netbooks will let you expand to 2G at least.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    The 1G limit is Microsoft's limit for licensing XP for Netbooks. Most netbooks will let you expand to 2G at least.

True. Actually windows 7 runs better on my Mini10v than XP did. I put 2g in it and it flies...for an atom.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 16

I have had an Asus Eee PC netbook for 2-3 years and its been very solid. I think its probably $250. All I do is surf the web and an occasional document. Thats all its really rated for.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I have had an Asus Eee PC netbook for 2-3 years and its been very solid. I think its probably $250. All I do is surf the web and an occasional document. Thats all its really rated for.
    Same here, I'm posting this on a three year old EEEpc that has never given me any troubles (other than figuring out Ubuntu, but that isn"t Asus's fault). However you definitely have to understand that you are not buying a full fledged Laptop. It is perfect for browsing the web, writing e-mails, and so on. I've never had any trouble using it to watch movies or YoBuuTube either (though obviously not in Hi-Def). I love it because it doesn't take up any more room than the average hardcover book.

But if you plan on doing any gaming, video editing, or anything like that, a Netbook isn't the way to go. I also wouldnt reccomend it if you plan on doing a lot of typing - the small keyboard can be tough to get used to.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I bought a Dell netbook about a year ago (mini 10), and a 17 inch Dell Studio notebook a couple of months ago. The notebook is big and fast and a real joy. The netbook is useful for one thing, the extreme portability. It is good for email, or say, for reading blogs or even this message board. It is good for keeping in contact and is very light. But it takes forever to boot up and get going, and I decided it is too small (and too slow) that I probably will not install MS Office on it. I've debated getting rid of it, but I think I will get some use out it, using the new MS Office online version.

To write a paper or much more than just a few notes, no thanks.

And it is so much slower to boot, to surf and get around, that I plan ahead of time to have a book or newspaper or something to occupy that time. Neither do you want to have many things open at once, preferably one thing at a time. It's actually not a bad netbook but just has its limitations.

Consistent with this article in today's NY Times, though:

Your Brain on Computers
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/te...hnology&st=cse

I'm thinking of taking it along instead when I really don't need the big notebook, that is, if the constant easy web access is more of distraction. For example, if I would be more productive just focusing on pretty much uninterrupted reading for that period of time (that is, not on the computer), then the extreme portability of the netbook for me probably makes sense.

For your daughter, a netbook would be a neat thing, and the screen size may not be as big an issue as for me, a grown adult. But it would likely be a lot slower than a regular notebook (which may be less of an issue for her, than for me). If she needs to write papers, especially, I think she might be happier with a small, light notebook, that is slightly larger and packs a bigger punch.

Last edited by Clone83; 08-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

My 2 cents... I think it depends what year in high school she is. If she is a Junior or Senior I'd say just get a fully loaded computer or laptop now or just wait until she goes to college, because by the time she's in college she's going to regret either not waiting or getting a nice laptop at this current present time. She's not going to want an outdated mini laptop by the time she goes to college (hopefully ISU).

Believe me I made this mistake and had to suffer through 2 years at ISU with a tiny outdated 12" Lenovo Thinkpad with barely any processing power and RAM with only 55 GB of storage! I finally had to sack up some dough and get a MacBook at the bookstore!

BUT, if she's a younger high schooler, then I'd say get the mini laptop so she can get a healthy 3-4 years of service out of it because high school work isn't close to as demanding. And then when she gets to college it would be feasible to get a nice laptop.

Being a recent enough high school graduate (2007), I kind of know what it's like to have electronic media in class in high school! Make sure her intentions aren't going to be Facebook or something of that nature during class or otherwise you'll see a decline in the GPA.