Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 157,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,475
    Points
    157,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 403

    Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Towson (2-9 FCS team last year)
    Akron (3-9 MAC team last year)
    @Western Kentucky (0-12 Sun Belt team last year)
    Arkansas State (4-8 Sun Belt team last year)

    I think this may be the weakest non-conf slate I ever remember seeing, I'd give some difficulty credit for at least playing a road game if it weren't against an 0-12 team.

    Their opponents combined record in the vaunted FCS, Sun Belt, Sun Belt, and MAC last year was 9-38. These 4 teams only won 5 games against FBS teams last year and one of those was Ark State beating Western Kentucky so really 4 wins against FBS teams. ZERO wins against BCS teams.

    I'll accept non-conf schedules from other years as well, I don't think Bill Snyder ever even succeeded in getting this big of a cake walk.

    Shame on any two Big Ten teams who might lose to Indiana and gift them bowl eligibility if they complete their non-conf cakewalk. I realize it's a building strategy, but at least schedule a team that can win a game here or there in a non-BCS league.

    As a quick comparison of how ridiculous this Indiana schedule is, Iowa's non-conf slate won 25 games last year and ISU's won 35 (just to compare to schedules we're more familiar with). Does anyone else not see how silly the bowl system is that a team like Indiana could be "rewarded" for beating 4 of the worst teams in the nation and lucking out to go 2-6 in Big Ten play?

    I know we went 6-6 last year and won a bowl. But our '09 6-6 or a possible '10 6-6 is just light years beyond what a 6-6 '10 Indiana team would be.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 73,923, Level: 84
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,522
    Points
    73,923
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 13

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    bill snyder is offended by such accusations



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 32,580, Level: 55
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    32,580
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Towson (2-9 FCS team last year)
    Akron (3-9 MAC team last year)
    @Western Kentucky (0-12 Sun Belt team last year)
    Arkansas State (4-8 Sun Belt team last year)

    I think this may be the weakest non-conf slate I ever remember seeing, I'd give some difficulty credit for at least playing a road game if it weren't against an 0-12 team.

    Their opponents combined record in the vaunted FCS, Sun Belt, Sun Belt, and MAC last year was 9-38. These 4 teams only won 5 games against FBS teams last year and one of those was Ark State beating Western Kentucky so really 4 wins against FBS teams. ZERO wins against BCS teams.

    I'll accept non-conf schedules from other years as well, I don't think Bill Snyder ever even succeeded in getting this big of a cake walk.

    Shame on any two Big Ten teams who might lose to Indiana and gift them bowl eligibility if they complete their non-conf cakewalk. I realize it's a building strategy, but at least schedule a team that can win a game here or there in a non-BCS league.

    As a quick comparison of how ridiculous this Indiana schedule is, Iowa's non-conf slate won 25 games last year and ISU's won 35 (just to compare to schedules we're more familiar with). Does anyone else not see how silly the bowl system is that a team like Indiana could be "rewarded" for beating 4 of the worst teams in the nation and lucking out to go 2-6 in Big Ten play?

    I know we went 6-6 last year and won a bowl. But our '09 6-6 or a possible '10 6-6 is just light years beyond what a 6-6 '10 Indiana team would be.
    yes, the bowl system has been cheapened. With both the Big 10 and Big 12 going to 9 conference games, it will be harder for teams to get that 6th win.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,153, Level: 62
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,583
    Points
    41,153
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Towson (2-9 FCS team last year)
    Akron (3-9 MAC team last year)
    @Western Kentucky (0-12 Sun Belt team last year)
    Arkansas State (4-8 Sun Belt team last year)

    I think this may be the weakest non-conf slate I ever remember seeing, I'd give some difficulty credit for at least playing a road game if it weren't against an 0-12 team.

    Their opponents combined record in the vaunted FCS, Sun Belt, Sun Belt, and MAC last year was 9-38. These 4 teams only won 5 games against FBS teams last year and one of those was Ark State beating Western Kentucky so really 4 wins against FBS teams. ZERO wins against BCS teams.

    I'll accept non-conf schedules from other years as well, I don't think Bill Snyder ever even succeeded in getting this big of a cake walk.

    Shame on any two Big Ten teams who might lose to Indiana and gift them bowl eligibility if they complete their non-conf cakewalk. I realize it's a building strategy, but at least schedule a team that can win a game here or there in a non-BCS league.

    As a quick comparison of how ridiculous this Indiana schedule is, Iowa's non-conf slate won 25 games last year and ISU's won 35 (just to compare to schedules we're more familiar with). Does anyone else not see how silly the bowl system is that a team like Indiana could be "rewarded" for beating 4 of the worst teams in the nation and lucking out to go 2-6 in Big Ten play?

    I know we went 6-6 last year and won a bowl. But our '09 6-6 or a possible '10 6-6 is just light years beyond what a 6-6 '10 Indiana team would be.
    If they can get 4 wins in the Big10 they will have an 8 win season.

    I kind of like this idea for a program that needs a lift.



  5. #5
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,990
    Points
    302,318
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 706

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    yes, the bowl system has been cheapened. With both the Big 10 and Big 12 going to 9 conference games, it will be harder for teams to get that 6th win.
    I am looking forward to it.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 58,171, Level: 74
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jahfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,695
    Points
    58,171
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    North Dakota State: 3-8
    Iowa: 11-2
    Kent State: 5-7
    Army: 5-7

    That's a record of 24-24. Where are you getting this 35 from?
    Northern Illinois, Iowa, Utah, Northern Iowa


    I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 117,757, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    6,475
    Points
    117,757
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 80

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Northern Illinois, Iowa, Utah, Northern Iowa
    Yeah, I got that now. When he originally mentioned last year, I thought he was talking about last year's opponents, when he was actually talking about this year's opponents and their records from last year.




  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 50,989, Level: 69
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,539
    Points
    50,989
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Seems like a very appropriate schedule for Indiana to play.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 112,943, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,744
    Points
    112,943
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Indiana treats their football fans terribly - they ask them to buy season tix to watch these crap non-conf. teams; then they turn around and "sell" the home game against Penn State to the Nittany Lions just for the big check.
    Talk about not caring about your fan base. If I were a Hoosier fan, I'd never buy football season tix again. And they need all they can get...



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 20,122, Level: 43
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clone136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames via Soux City
    Posts
    662
    Points
    20,122
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    I would rather be 8-4 with a cake schedule than 4-8 trying to make the argument that our schedule was harder than yours.


    Eternal Optimist

  11. #11
    Recruit
    Points: 4,653, Level: 20
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    117
    Points
    4,653
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Kansas's Orange bowl season in 2007 was pretty weak. They had 4 nonconference home games.

    Central Michigan
    SE Louisiana
    Toledo
    FIU

    That's about as weak as you can get. Central Michigan may have been decent, but KU slaughtered all four.


    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    If only we would schedule like this. Instead we have Iowa and Utah.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 42,791, Level: 63
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,964
    Points
    42,791
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    I don't blame them one bit. This is what the have-not's of college football should be doing. Whatever it takes to get to a bowl game every year. That includes ISU.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 210,229, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,128
    Points
    210,229
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 206

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post
    I don't blame them one bit. This is what the have-not's of college football should be doing. Whatever it takes to get to a bowl game every year. That includes ISU.
    And we always have one game against a solid Big 10 team in Iowa, which in itself is more challenging than the non-con schedules of many teams... but then we added Utah, and Uconn, and Air Force in the future... bad scheduling by us.. unless we win of course, then it will be great! At least I like the fact that we have some cajones, not scheduling like Indiana or Texas Tech usually.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 157,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,475
    Points
    157,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 403

    Re: Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    And we always have one game against a solid Big 10 team in Iowa, which in itself is more challenging than the non-con schedules of many teams... but then we added Utah, and Uconn, and Air Force in the future... bad scheduling by us.. unless we win of course, then it will be great! At least I like the fact that we have some cajones, not scheduling like Indiana or Texas Tech usually.
    If you were to randomly pick a MAC team as opposed to a Sun Belt team, that's almost always a harder game. The Sun Belt really has been a failed experiment if the goal was to be a competitive FBS conference. The WAC, MAC and CUSA are nothing special but they are quite a bit better than the Sun Belt.

    Two Sun Belt teams (one that was FCS a couple years ago), an average MAC team and a poor FCS program is pretty ridiculous. I hope ISU never schedules that poorly whether we keep Iowa or not.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM