Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 29

Student Season Tickets

Just ordered my season tickets for football and basketball online. This got me thinking, I was talking to one of my friends that goes to Iowa about the upcoming game on September 11th. I asked him about tickets in the student section, and he basically said "good luck" and that he couldn't even get student season tickets for football on time because they sold out so quickly. While I waited until just a few weeks before the season to get mine for ISU, and I was fine. He told me that was because no students wanted to watch a game at Jack Trice.

On the flip side, I said at least our basketball program still puts fans in the seats despite our record. He said Iowa basically had no student section, and even had a FREE student game one night that didn't even come close to filling the place up. I told him our women's team easily had more fans than them at games. He mentioned that was nice...but that nobody really cares about basketball anyways.

So Iowa has experienced the highs (this years football) and the lows (last years basketball) as far as student ticket sales are concerned. Do you think ISU will ever get to that high level in football with continued success? And also, hopefully this would never happen, but would ISU ever have to stoop to the level of "free" student admission at MBB or FB to avoid embarassment? Would be interesting to hear other's thoughts.

Last edited by BCoffClone125; 08-15-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Re: Student Season Tickets

Iowa State won't ever have that issue with student season tickets in football.

I doubt you'll ever see the "free" level at Iowa State. How horrible have we been in hoops, yet we still outdraw a bunch of schools when it comes to students?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 305

If I were ISU, I would never sell out student tickets, just keep selling them until you can't sell anymore. You can always pack in countless students and you can always count on students not always showing up for every game, especially when it gets cold out.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by BCoffClone125 View Post
    Just ordered my season tickets for football and basketball online. This got me thinking, I was talking to one of my friends that goes to Iowa about the upcoming game on September 11th. I asked him about tickets in the student section, and he basically said "good luck" and that he couldn't even get student season tickets for football on time because they sold out so quickly.

I really have a hard time believing this. If I were guessing I would say he didn't pay attention and tried to get tickets well past the order deadline. I'm sure a Hawk troll will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think students at Iowa who pay attention to ticket on-sale dates consider themselves "lucky" to have gotten football tickets. This would be much more believable in basketball.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Right now, Iowa is at the top of the football world and demand to see one of the best teams in the nation is high. The question you have to ask is where were these fans in 2006, 2007 and 2008? I do not know there attendance numbers, but I am guessing that they were not selling out the stadium during those years.