Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Stange Road and 13th Street road construction

Why didnt the City of Ames wait til next summer to do the south lanes on 13th Street......It was already back up of cars waiting on Stange Road and now the students coming back it will even be worst then before.....

Bad Move by the City of Ames as should of done the other side next year....

Is there going to have to have a police officer direct traffic and students walking across there

Last edited by cyclonefan1983; 08-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 87

Re: Stange Road and 13th Street road construction

They didn't wait because it needed to be done this year.

Brilliant!

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan1983 View Post
    Why didnt the City of Ames wait til next summer to do the south lanes on 13th Street......It was already back up of cars waiting on Stange Road and now the students coming back it will even be worst then before.....

Is there going to have to have a police officer direct traffic and students walking across there
    I can't answer your question but I think Ames should worry about 13th St and Grand or Lincolnway and Duff way before 13th and Stange....

Now that I think of it, getting around Ames is just horrible for its size! Horrible traffic/road planning! Why does it take me the same amount of time to get across Ames as it does in Cedar Rapids? Why doesn't Lincolnway have a center turning lane? Thank God for Hwy 30 and Airport Rd or I'd never dare to venture over to Duff Ave. It's pretty terrible for a city with the DOT headquarters.

Also has anyone else noticed Ames has super long yellow lights? Like 7 seconds long, I've counted using the Pedestrian "don't walk" countdown lights! I think the average time for 35mph is about 4-5 seconds in other cities.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    I can't answer your question but I think Ames should worry about 13th St and Grand or Lincolnway and Duff way before 13th and Stange....

Now that I think of it, getting around Ames is just horrible for its size! Horrible traffic/road planning! Why does it take me the same amount of time to get across Ames as it does in Cedar Rapids? Why doesn't Lincolnway have a center turning lane? Thank God for Hwy 30 and Airport Rd or I'd never dare to venture over to Duff Ave. It's pretty terrible for a city with the DOT headquarters.

Also has anyone else noticed Ames has super long yellow lights? Like 7 seconds long, I've counted using the Pedestrian "don't walk" countdown lights! I think the average time for 35mph is about 4-5 seconds in other cities.

Agreed LOTS of construction this summer. THe 13th street work was supposed to be done already, but the weather has made that impossible. Much of the work around town was all supposed to be done before the students get back but your cant build a road in a downpour.

Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

Yellow lights in Ames are crazy... Here in Brooklyn the yellow light lasts about a second and a half. I was driving in Ames last year with my brother and the light went yellow. I of course stopped being that I'm used to very short lights and proceeded to get honked at by a couple cars behind me. Then the light turned red... It was strange.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post

You are exactly right, it takes me about 15 mins to get to Marion or the SW side of CR from Hiawatha. Same thing if I wanted to goto the mall or some other side of Ames from me when I lived there.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan1983 View Post

Because the public typically wants street projects done SOONER rather than LATER. I can hear it now: "We were going to do the whole project this year, but decided to wait and do half of it next year." The natives would be howling in displeasure.

Most rain EVER (since records starting being kept). No one can plan for that. Rain messes with street projects big time. Get over yourself.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

I lived in Ames roughly nine years and I quickly learned back routes everywhere I needed to go. I avoided Duff and Grand like the plague. The residential areas in north and west Ames can be very helpful when avoiding traffic on the main roads

ABC - Always Be Closing

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 148

The project should of been completed a month ago but the weather has made the time frame a little rough. Cant wait until next year because of funding, contracts, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 19

With high school starting this week, 20th between Grand and Duff is not done yet and this is a school bus route. The road on the north side of the high school is also closed. Weather has really havoc on road repairs this summer.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Lived/worked in Ames area for over 20 years now. The one thing that is a constant is crazy road construction in Ames every summer. Like others, I know back routes and I take them. Truth be told, I don't mind the construction - my big picture view is that maintaining infrastructure and making improvements is part of living in a progressive community.

I actually think that the City of Ames does try to undertake projects while the city is the least busy (summer) but not everything can be done in that tight of a timeframe, especially when battling the weather, etc.

Seems like I see grumpy posts on CF about how the City of Ames is not appreciative enough, etc., of the University. I disagree. Yes, ISU is a crown jewel, but there are people in Ames that do not work for the university or spend their days totally focused on ISU. It's not the only gig in town.