Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 146

I expect 6 wins for the Cyclone football team in 2010

I expect 6 wins for the Cyclone football team in 2010. Breaking down my thoughts game by game, first with the non-conference opponents.

Non-conference opponents.

Northern Illinois game: This is a win for sure. I don't care that the Huskies were a bowl team last year. I don't care what the have coming back this year. When their 7 wins from a year ago are broken down (see below,) it'll be shown that they're not as good as their record says they are.

Northern Illinois wins in 2009:

Opponent, Opponent's '09 W-L record

Western Illinois, 1-10
    Purdue, 5-7
    Western Michigan, 5-7
    Miami (OH), 1-11
    Akron, 3-9
    Eastern Michigan, 0-12
    Ball State, 2-10

Northern Illinois' 7 wins in 2009 came against opponents with a combined 17-66 record. Now, The opponent’s win-loss record from a year for ISU’s wins is not all that impressive either (36-50, .419.) However, if the opponents were to be matched up based on worst record (excluding North Dakota State and Western Illinois, since NDSU actually beat WIU last season,) I would say Colorado was a tougher opponent than Eastern Michigan would have been. The Cyclones start off the '10 season with a sure thing and on the right note. I wouldn't be shocked to see ISU win by 30-35 points. I don’t expect the Cyclones to win by that big of margin, but if they do, I will not be surprised. 1-0

Iowa game: As much as I would like to see the Cyclones go into Iowa City and do the Hawkeyes in, it's not going to happen this year. The Hawkeyes have too much back from their Orange Bowl team from a year ago. But it won't be a 35-3 drubbing like what was witnessed in Ames a year ago. Had the '09 Iowa-Iowa State game been played at the end of the season rather than the beginning, Iowa still wins, but not by 32. And that's what I see happening this year. A 28-17 loss to the bad guys. 1-1

Northern Iowa game: The Cyclones have a lot of reloading to do among their front 7 on the defensive side of the ball for 2010. The Panthers counter that by having to replace all 5 guys on their starting offensive line, their starting quarterback, and starting running back. The Panthers also have to replace 2 wide receivers that graduated last year (they list 3 starting WR positions in their '09 depth chart.) On the defensive side of the ball, Northern Iowa is looking at replacing 2 defensive tackles, a defensive end, 2 linebackers, and a safety. UNI has only 7 of 22 starters returning from a year ago. They Panthers are going to be a young team. If this were the opening game of the 2010 season, it'd probably be an ugly game. While the Panthers have given the Cyclones fits in the recent past, ISU will come out on top of a young Panther team. 2-1

Utah game: I don't know a whole lot about the Utes as to who they have coming back and at what positions. What I do know is the Utes are 47-17 (.734) under Kyle Whittingham, including 23-3 in the last 2 seasons. Utah has also won all 5-bowl games under Coach Whittingham. Whittingham was co-head coach when Utah beat Pittsburgh in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, as Urban Meyer was on his way out to Florida. This will be a good, fun match up. I think a game like this will be the kind of game the Cyclones will be able to use to measure just where they are right now under Coach Rhoads. I look forward to the match up. I don't look forward to the result. Utah wins. 2-2

Iowa State finishes non-conference play with a record of 2-2.

Big 12 North opponents:

Colorado game: This should be a win. The Cyclones went into Colorado two years ago and almost beat the Buffaloes (28-24 loss) in their house with sophomores at quarterback and running back. That QB-RB tandem is now in their senior campaign with a return trip to Colorado, to face a team who is still trying to find out who they are and what they have in the 5th year of the Dan Hawkins experiment. Hawkins took over the Colorado program after the 2005 season, the last time the Buffs had a winning record. Unless Colorado shocks the world this year, Iowa State will return home from Colorado with a win for the first time since 2000. 3-2

Kansas game: New quarterback. New wide receivers. Their top returning receiver had just 385 yards and no touchdowns in 2009. They return their top rusher (541 yards), but lose their second leading rusher. Oh, and by the way, they have a new coaching staff as well. This game isn’t until October 30th, so the Jayhawks will have sometime to gel before this game, but I just don’t think they’ll do a whole in the first year under Gill. 4-2

Kansas State game: I’m glad this game was rescheduled to be played earlier in the season. Make sure the Cyclones have a healthy Alexander Robinson. If A-Rob does not go down in last year’s game at Arrowhead, the game isn’t decided by a blocked extra point, and I believe A-Rob will be a big factor in ISU getting the win in Kansas City this year. 5-2

Missouri game: 38 of Gary Pinkel's 67 career wins as head coach of Missouri has come in the last 4 years, an average of 9.5 wins a season, while averaging 5.8 wins a season during his first five at Missouri. Iowa State hasn't beaten Missouri since 2006, Dan McCarney's last game as head coach of Iowa State. Until they do beat Missouri, I have to pick Missouri for the win. 5-3

Nebraska game: Should be interesting game. Huskers have to travel to Ames. Everyone on ISU’s side will be on a high from last year’s meeting. In the end, Nebraska should win the North division this year. Rhoads will definitely have everyone up for this game, and even if Nebraska leaves Ames with a win, ISU will not make it fun for them. Wouldn’t surprise me if this game comes down to a field goal, and Nebraska has a potential Lou Groza award winner in Alex Henrey. 5-4

Big 12 South opponents:

Oklahoma and Texas games: Losses. Plan and simple. Oklahoma and Texas are just better than Iowa State. I honestly cannot tell you the last time Iowa State defeated either Oklahoma or Texas in football. I don’t know that it has ever happened in my 25 years on earth. Plus ISU has to travel to Norman and Austin in back-to-back weeks (who does the scheduling of the conferences game anyway? Who else has to play at Oklahoma and at Texas in consecutive weeks?) However, losing these games won’t be all bad. The Cyclones won 6 games last year to get to a bowl game, and that in the midst of losing 2 of 3 games to South opponents (OSU, aTm). 5-6

Texas Tech game: This game I believe is the wildcard in whether the Cyclones go 5-7 or 6-6 and a bowl game. It’s the fifth game of the season (October 2,) and the second conference game of the year (KSU.) Tech has to come to Ames this year, and it will be just Tech’s 4th game under a new head coach. The Red Raiders have a bye week before this game, but they will be coming off a loss against Texas. Maybe the perfect time to catch them while they’re down. I’m going to be optimistic and maybe a little bit of a homer and say the Cyclones win this one. If the game were being played in Lubbock, my expectation and prediction would be different. 6-6

In the end, I expect a record of 6-6 overall, 4-4 in conference for the 2010 Iowa State Cyclones football team and a return trip to Tempe, Arizona to play in the Insight Bowl.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 0

Re: I expect 6 wins for the Cyclone football team in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    I expect 6 wins for the Cyclone football team in 2010. Breaking down my thoughts game by game, first with the non-conference opponents.

Non-conference opponents.

Northern Illinois game: This is a win for sure. I don't care that the Huskies were a bowl team last year. I don't care what the have coming back this year. When their 7 wins from a year ago are broken down (see below,) it'll be shown that they're not as good as their record says they are.

Northern Illinois wins in 2009:

Opponent, Opponent's '09 W-L record

Western Illinois, 1-10
    Purdue, 5-7
    Western Michigan, 5-7
    Miami (OH), 1-11
    Akron, 3-9
    Eastern Michigan, 0-12
    Ball State, 2-10

Northern Illinois' 7 wins in 2009 came against opponents with a combined 17-66 record. Now, The opponent’s win-loss record from a year for ISU’s wins is not all that impressive either (36-50, .419.) However, if the opponents were to be matched up based on worst record (excluding North Dakota State and Western Illinois, since NDSU actually beat WIU last season,) I would say Colorado was a tougher opponent than Eastern Michigan would have been. The Cyclones start off the '10 season with a sure thing and on the right note. I wouldn't be shocked to see ISU win by 30-35 points. I don’t expect the Cyclones to win by that big of margin, but if they do, I will not be surprised. 1-0

Iowa game: As much as I would like to see the Cyclones go into Iowa City and do the Hawkeyes in, it's not going to happen this year. The Hawkeyes have too much back from their Orange Bowl team from a year ago. But it won't be a 35-3 drubbing like what was witnessed in Ames a year ago. Had the '09 Iowa-Iowa State game been played at the end of the season rather than the beginning, Iowa still wins, but not by 32. And that's what I see happening this year. A 28-17 loss to the bad guys. 1-1

Northern Iowa game: The Cyclones have a lot of reloading to do among their front 7 on the defensive side of the ball for 2010. The Panthers counter that by having to replace all 5 guys on their starting offensive line, their starting quarterback, and starting running back. The Panthers also have to replace 2 wide receivers that graduated last year (they list 3 starting WR positions in their '09 depth chart.) On the defensive side of the ball, Northern Iowa is looking at replacing 2 defensive tackles, a defensive end, 2 linebackers, and a safety. UNI has only 7 of 22 starters returning from a year ago. They Panthers are going to be a young team. If this were the opening game of the 2010 season, it'd probably be an ugly game. While the Panthers have given the Cyclones fits in the recent past, ISU will come out on top of a young Panther team. 2-1

Utah game: I don't know a whole lot about the Utes as to who they have coming back and at what positions. What I do know is the Utes are 47-17 (.734) under Kyle Whittingham, including 23-3 in the last 2 seasons. Utah has also won all 5-bowl games under Coach Whittingham. Whittingham was co-head coach when Utah beat Pittsburgh in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, as Urban Meyer was on his way out to Florida. This will be a good, fun match up. I think a game like this will be the kind of game the Cyclones will be able to use to measure just where they are right now under Coach Rhoads. I look forward to the match up. I don't look forward to the result. Utah wins. 2-2

Iowa State finishes non-conference play with a record of 2-2.

Big 12 North opponents:

Colorado game: This should be a win. The Cyclones went into Colorado two years ago and almost beat the Buffaloes (28-24 loss) in their house with sophomores at quarterback and running back. That QB-RB tandem is now in their senior campaign with a return trip to Colorado, to face a team who is still trying to find out who they are and what they have in the 5th year of the Dan Hawkins experiment. Hawkins took over the Colorado program after the 2005 season, the last time the Buffs had a winning record. Unless Colorado shocks the world this year, Iowa State will return home from Colorado with a win for the first time since 2000. 3-2

Kansas game: New quarterback. New wide receivers. Their top returning receiver had just 385 yards and no touchdowns in 2009. They return their top rusher (541 yards), but lose their second leading rusher. Oh, and by the way, they have a new coaching staff as well. This game isn’t until October 30th, so the Jayhawks will have sometime to gel before this game, but I just don’t think they’ll do a whole in the first year under Gill. 4-2

Kansas State game: I’m glad this game was rescheduled to be played earlier in the season. Make sure the Cyclones have a healthy Alexander Robinson. If A-Rob does not go down in last year’s game at Arrowhead, the game isn’t decided by a blocked extra point, and I believe A-Rob will be a big factor in ISU getting the win in Kansas City this year. 5-2

Missouri game: 38 of Gary Pinkel's 67 career wins as head coach of Missouri has come in the last 4 years, an average of 9.5 wins a season, while averaging 5.8 wins a season during his first five at Missouri. Iowa State hasn't beaten Missouri since 2006, Dan McCarney's last game as head coach of Iowa State. Until they do beat Missouri, I have to pick Missouri for the win. 5-3

Nebraska game: Should be interesting game. Huskers have to travel to Ames. Everyone on ISU’s side will be on a high from last year’s meeting. In the end, Nebraska should win the North division this year. Rhoads will definitely have everyone up for this game, and even if Nebraska leaves Ames with a win, ISU will not make it fun for them. Wouldn’t surprise me if this game comes down to a field goal, and Nebraska has a potential Lou Groza award winner in Alex Henrey. 5-4

Big 12 South opponents:

Oklahoma and Texas games: Losses. Plan and simple. Oklahoma and Texas are just better than Iowa State. I honestly cannot tell you the last time Iowa State defeated either Oklahoma or Texas in football. I don’t know that it has ever happened in my 25 years on earth. Plus ISU has to travel to Norman and Austin in back-to-back weeks (who does the scheduling of the conferences game anyway? Who else has to play at Oklahoma and at Texas in consecutive weeks?) However, losing these games won’t be all bad. The Cyclones won 6 games last year to get to a bowl game, and that in the midst of losing 2 of 3 games to South opponents (OSU, aTm). 5-6

Texas Tech game: This game I believe is the wildcard in whether the Cyclones go 5-7 or 6-6 and a bowl game. It’s the fifth game of the season (October 2,) and the second conference game of the year (KSU.) Tech has to come to Ames this year, and it will be just Tech’s 4th game under a new head coach. The Red Raiders have a bye week before this game, but they will be coming off a loss against Texas. Maybe the perfect time to catch them while they’re down. I’m going to be optimistic and maybe a little bit of a homer and say the Cyclones win this one. If the game were being played in Lubbock, my expectation and prediction would be different. 6-6

In the end, I expect a record of 6-6 overall, 4-4 in conference for the 2010 Iowa State Cyclones football team and a return trip to Tempe, Arizona to play in the Insight Bowl.
    Fair assessment. I don't think they would go to the Insight Bowl though. If I remember correctly, the Insight Bowl has moved up this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

pinstripe bowl in new york

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    +1

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

I've been saying it for a while, but ISU will be 5-6 on November 20th when Mizzou comes to Ames. By then Mizzou will only be playing for bowl position as they have a very hard stretch in October of at A&M, OU at home, at NU and at Tech. Mizzou could lose all 4 of those games and will be out of the running for the North by November 20th.

I like CPR to get the team ready to play for a bowl game, on senior day in Ames. He did it last year with the Colorado game and can do it again. ISU wins and goes to NYC.

Edit: ISU will probably need Mizzou to beat Kansas again the following week in the Border War. Kansas very well could be 5-6 going into that game and a Mizzou win might ensure a ISU bowl game.

Last edited by CyForPresident; 08-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thumbs Up

Oh how I wish we could go undefeated sometime in my life. Although I doubt it will happen.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    will people be excited about this? I have mixed feelings. I think it would be pretty sweet to play at yankee stadium, but I see a lot of people being turned off by the cold weather destination. not to mention NY being super expensive

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

i would prefer somewhere south. but this year (or any) im not picky

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Utah has a lot of questions on there defense from what I hear. So does Iowa State. Utah is always prepared for there games. but I think it well be a close game no matter who wins.
    And Ring4cy that's a lot of typing. Good work!

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Cysrevenge View Post
    will people be excited about this? I have mixed feelings. I think it would be pretty sweet to play at yankee stadium, but I see a lot of people being turned off by the cold weather destination. not to mention NY being super expensive
    HELL NO! NY is cold as hell that time of year! Warm weather only please

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Cysrevenge View Post
    Direct flight from DSM... that is nice.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    HELL NO! NY is cold as hell that time of year! Warm weather only please
    is the jets new stadium indoors? either way it would be a better place to have a Bowl game

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 608

I'm calling the Utah game the upset of the year. Unless it's Iowa. Um, unless it's Nebraska. Er, unless it's.....

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Damn dude your predictions are spot on with mine. Have all the wins and losses agreeing with me. This is gonna be a good opportunity for some quality upsets this year. I know its unlikely we take any of them but we have 5 really good teams that we could pull off a kind of miracle victory. (Utah, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.) If we pull off just 1 upset of the 5 i think we can have a 7-5 record and shock all of the writers. Just a quick question for all of the posters on CF. What would u rather see this year.. A victory over top 10 iowa teams when we play them? Or a possibly top 5 rated, undefeated nebraska team when we play them?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,785
    Given: 1,503

Quote Originally Posted by zwclones51 View Post
    Damn dude your predictions are spot on with mine. Have all the wins and losses agreeing with me. This is gonna be a good opportunity for some quality upsets this year. I know its unlikely we take any of them but we have 5 really good teams that we could pull off a kind of miracle victory. (Utah, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.) If we pull off just 1 upset of the 5 i think we can have a 7-5 record and shock all of the writers. Just a quick question for all of the posters on CF. What would u rather see this year.. A victory over top 10 iowa teams when we play them? Or a possibly top 5 rated, undefeated nebraska team when we play them?
    The answer to your question is "yes."

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/