Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 166

Camp Report: McDonough has stood out

Ian Smith files this report on Iowa State's situation at defensive tackle and nose guard. It makes me feel better about Sept. 2.

Iowa State Football: The defensive tackles | Cyclone Fanatic

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Camp Report: McDonough has stood out

Jake has gotten huge.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Shane Burnham sounds like a great coach. Really like how this staff explains and coaches fundamentals, much like CPR talking in detail about tackling.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Wow. That was very encouraging. This staff has really struggled to recruit interior d-linemen (which ISU staff hasn't). I hope potential recruits understand that if they come to ISU they are going to get great coaching.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 6

Oh man, I'm really getting excited to see McDonough play. He certainly looks the part and is getting some high praise from the coaches. I'm sure he'll take his lumps, but he could be a rock in there for the next 3 years.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 18

sometimes i wonder how the coaches really feel about these guys. i remember last year our coaches saying our DTs were light years from where they needed to be. They are singing a little different tune this year, we'll see how it holds up.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I love talking to Coach Shane Burnham. He's passionate and if anybody can get these guys ready to go by Sept. 2, it's him. It'd be awesome to sit in on a film session with him and his dad, Wally.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 4

"More lead in the pencil"

Gotta love Wally. If our interior OL guys are having trouble with Jake and Rump, that is a really, really good sign. Hopefully, Jake and Rump will be solid in the middle for the next 2 seasons.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

wished i could read but VIRUS attached again

Recruit
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Same here....click on link and security system does not allow access due to virus threat.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

When I see McDonough, I think of four guys: James Reed, Jordan Carstens, Nick Leaders, and Athyba Rubin. Reed had the ability, Carstens had the desire, Leaders had the nastiness, and Rubin had the size. McDonough has those gifts plus every physical tool and the size to be one helluva DT. If he continues to progress and committ to making himself better, he could be the anchor in the middle that we've sorely been missing.

I'm excited about his potential and really looking forward to watching him play this season.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Publisher
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 166

Here's the story for those who can't read it.

By Ian Smith, Cyclonefanatic.com Contributor

The Iowa State defense wants to set a tone this season and it starts up the middle.
    While new linebackers A.J. Klein, Jake Knott and Matt Tau’fo’ou have received a majority of the ink during fall camp, the defensive tackles will play just as vital of a role in the Cyclones success in 2010. Just ask defensive tackles coach Shane Burnham.

“In any sport, if you are good down the middle, you have a shot,” Burnham said. “(The defensive tackles) have a done a great job in camp of holding up against double teams and letting the backers run through and make plays. They are going up against some pretty good (offensive lineman) at practice.”

Gone are starters Austin Alburtis and Nate Frere from last year’s squad. In their place are Jake McDonough at tackle, and Stephen Ruempolhamer and Bailey Johnson at nose guard.

“It’s been a good camp,” Burnham said. “I think we’ve developed a long way since this time last year. We understand the scheme better. We look like different people moving around.”

McDonough is a different player

By all accounts, McDonough is a completely different player than he was a season ago. For starters, he is healthy after battling a serious stomach ailment early in the 2009 campaign. During that time, he lost more than 50 pounds. Now, the Des Moines native is ready for a full season in the trenches.

“Jake physically is 50, 60, 70 pounds heavier, or whatever it was, than last year,” Burnham said. “You can tell he has more lead in his pencil when he’s out there playing. He is not getting pushed around as much.”

Burnham and the rest of the Iowa State coaches are excited to see McDonough take the next step – literally. Listed at 6-foot-5, 288-pounds, the sophomore hasn’t lost any speed with the added weight.

“It hasn’t affected his first two steps at all,” Burnham said. “He is more explosive. The biggest thing we have to clean up with Jake is his steps. He’s a long guy. He gets too big of a step off the ball sometimes – too elongated. He gets his chest over grass and doesn’t always bring his feet. That’s something we are working with all our guys.”

“(Jake) is as long as any offensive guard or tackle we play against, so they have a hard time getting to his body when he plays with a good pad level.”

The battle at nose guard

In the latest depth chart released by Iowa State, Ruempolhamer – who Burnham calls “Dutch,” and Johnson are co-starters at the nose guard position. The Cyclones will need both of them against their tough Big 12 schedule.

“When you look at Dutch and Bailey, those are two guys who have played and played Big 12 snaps,” Burnham said. “You feel like you can put them in there and they can succeed.”

Ruempolhamer in particular has impressed coaches in camp.

“Dutch, I’ll tell you what, if you ask Ben Lamaak or some of our other offensive guys, he’s a stump in there right now,” Burnham said. “He’s hard to move out. He has a great pad level. That’s something Jake and Bailey need to do better.”

Behind McDonough, Johnson and Ruempolhamer, Cleyon Laing, Taylor Mansfield, Walter Woods and Jerrod Black are in the mix. Depth is still an issue for Iowa State Burnham said, but the players are working hard to improve before kickoff, Sept. 2 against Northern Illinois.

“In the run game, they’ve learned how to come off the ball – get their feet in the ground,” Burnham said “The biggest thing is playing with hands – inside hands win up front. Last year, I don’t we were ever able to grasp what we wanted to do coming off the ball.”

Scrimmage set for Saturday

The goal in Saturday’s full-squad scrimmage is simple – get better. Specifically, the defense wants to create some of the big plays that helped them become one of the best red zone teams in the country last year.

The Cyclones also are looking to create a personality as the season approaches.
    “I think we need to continue to establish an identity,” Burnham said. “We are a young defense. You talk about our linebackers, some of the young kids that haven’t played; we have an identity to forge. Hopefully, that shows itself a little bit on Saturday.”

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Good for Jake and ISU - coached him in HS and he has a TON of talent. Wish him the best!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    When I see McDonough, I think of four guys: James Reed, Jordan Carstens, Nick Leaders, and Athyba Rubin. Reed had the ability, Carstens had the desire, Leaders had the nastiness, and Rubin had the size. McDonough has those gifts plus every physical tool and the size to be one helluva DT. If he continues to progress and committ to making himself better, he could be the anchor in the middle that we've sorely been missing.

I'm excited about his potential and really looking forward to watching him play this season.
    I agree, he's got all the tools to be as good or better than those guys. I always like the athleticsm you get from DE's that convert to DT.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

too bad alburtis did not stay another year...mcdonough will be a serious upgrade from frere because he is taller and much faster than frere was.
    rump and bailey will have fun sharing their position.i think we have some serious talent to back up rump,bailey and jake.it is nice to have the depth we have in our defensive line for once. i wish that rony nelson would have been available for the de position.we will get to see him next year if he can maintain his grades.

GO CYCLONES!!!!!!

doc