Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,893
    Given: 899

Remember Live Aid?

We now have "Live Earth", the concerts for a climate in crisis. Now all they have to do is raise $500,000,000,000 from these concerts to lower the temperature 1 degree. Thanks for saving the planet guys! Maybe if you all collectively quit breathing instead.

Live Earth on MSN: The Concerts For A Climate In Crisis

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Re: Remember Live Aid?

If we could get Bono to stop breathing that would account for the 1 degree right there. And all that we would have spent is enough money to restrain him...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Yeah, it sucks when people are proactive and try to do something positive that goes beyond themselves.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 425

I wonder how much energy they are going to use to put on this show. You got to think about the lights they use. The amps and all that other stuff. Not to mention how much trash will be lying around after and where are they going to put it. I mean the land fills are full from what THEY tell us. This concert is going to kill the earth in my humble opinion.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 11

I remember this episode...it ends with Cartman driving a mole machine through the crowd of hippies to reach the stage, then playing a Slayer CD to get the hippies to leave.

Stan: So it seems like we have enough people now. When do we start taking down the corporations?
    Hippie (takes a drag on his joint): Yeah man, the corporations. Right now they're raping the world for money!
    Kyle: Yeah, so, where are they? Let's go get 'em.
    Hippie: Right now we're proving we don't need corporations. We don't need money. This can become a commune where everyone just helps each other.
    Hippie: Yeah, we'll have one guy who like, who like, makes bread. A-and one guy who like, l-looks out for other people's safety.
    Stan: You mean like a baker and a cop?
    Hippie: No no, can't you imagine a place where people live together and like, provide services for each other in exchange for their services?
    Kyle: Yeah, it's called a town.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by 247cy View Post
    I remember this episode...it ends with Cartman driving a mole machine through the crowd of hippies to reach the stage, then playing a Slayer CD to get the hippies to leave.

Stan: So it seems like we have enough people now. When do we start taking down the corporations?
    Hippie (takes a drag on his joint): Yeah man, the corporations. Right now they're raping the world for money!
    Kyle: Yeah, so, where are they? Let's go get 'em.
    Hippie: Right now we're proving we don't need corporations. We don't need money. This can become a commune where everyone just helps each other.
    Hippie: Yeah, we'll have one guy who like, who like, makes bread. A-and one guy who like, l-looks out for other people's safety.
    Stan: You mean like a baker and a cop?
    Hippie: No no, can't you imagine a place where people live together and like, provide services for each other in exchange for their services?
    Kyle: Yeah, it's called a town.
    Excellent episode, and an excellent quote! Rep for you!

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Yeah, it sucks when people are proactive and try to do something positive that goes beyond themselves.

Yeah, it does suck when people raise money for a cause that we don't even know how humans effect it.

Let's not raise money for AIDS, cancer research, povery aid, etc...let's raise the money so we can try to create a weather machine to lower the earth's temerature!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Yeah, it does suck when people raise money for a cause that we don't even know how humans effect it.

Let's not raise money for AIDS, cancer research, povery aid, etc...let's raise the money so we can try to create a weather machine to lower the earth's temerature!

Hey, it never hurts to try. I've made the committment to fart less. That's how much I care.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps you ought to check into what Bono does with his time away from studio & stage?

In any case, at least these people have a cause that goes beyond their own self satisfacation and are doing something about it - far more than 99.9% of the people on this board I'd wager.

And yes CW, we'll NEVER know if mankind is the cause of warming regardless of all the science that says it is. We just need to (endlessly) research it more. I'm convinced that for some of you, it'll take Jesus ****** himself to came down and say "Stop f'n up the atmosphere. Even then, some of you would say - "Prove it's us"

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps you ought to check into what Bono does with his time away from studio & stage?
    Yes, Bono's attempt to get the world to ban religion is a great use of his time away from studio & stage and goes over very well with me

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Yes, Bono's attempt to get the world to ban religion is a great use of his time away from studio & stage and goes over very well with me

Yes, nevermind his Red campaign to help fight AIDS in Africa.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    Yes, nevermind his Red campaign to help fight AIDS in Africa.
    There are many organizations that do that. It doesn't mean I have to like and/or respect every single one of them...

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

I'm quite aware what Bono does, he is a rare exception.

In any case, at least these people have a cause that goes beyond their own self satisfacation and are doing something about it - far more than 99.9% of the people on this board I'd wager.
    I would be that you don't know 99.9% of the people on this board so how would you know that? I would guess that many people on this board donate to charities, cancer foundations, etc.

And yes CW, we'll NEVER know if mankind is the cause of warming regardless of all the science that says it is. We just need to (endlessly) research it more. I'm convinced that for some of you, it'll take Jesus ****** himself to came down and say "Stop f'n up the atmosphere. Even then, some of you would say - "Prove it's us"
    I think that most scientists agree that the earth is warming. There are nearly as many scientists that say this is just the natural cycle of the earth. Are you really going to tell me that because a scientist looks at 150 years of temperature data vs. the 4.5 BILLION years the earth has been around and says...OMG, humans are causing the temperature of the Earth to increase 1 degree?? Think of how silly that sounds.

To get that back to an ISU analogy...that would be drawing conclusions about the entire history of Iowa State basketball soley by watching 1 single game. It just doesn't make sense.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Could you provide a link or something documenting that?

Not saying you're wrong necessarily. But considering U2 started as a Christian rock band - I find the accuasation that Bono is trying to ban religion, a little hard to believe.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I would be that you don't know 99.9% of the people on this board so how would you know that? I would guess that many people on this board donate to charities, cancer foundations, etc.
    My point was to the slam of Bono. But if anybody here would like to present themselves as organizing a fundraiser to the scale that this concert, or Live-8 was a few years ago, I'd be more than happy to re-run the numbers and recant my estimate. I give to the United Way weekly, I'm involved with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Idea League - so I'd say I'm at best average of most charitable people. All that pales in comparsion to the scope of this effort. Am I talking about the average fan in attendance? No. I'm speaking of the organizers.

But it's just too easy to poo-poo their effort, isn't it?

As to your whole layout of the science, you make a good point. Of course, if man's impact over those 4.5 Billion years were at a constant, I'd say you were right. Unfortunately, man's impact on the environment in the last century has exploded exponentially. We have plenty of other examples of man's negative impact (countless extinct species, the impact by pollution on sea life, etc). So we have numerous examples of man's impact on the environement in a short time frame.