Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 180

Entering Canada with DUI

Here's the story:
    My daughter went to school in Toronto, 6 years ago. My wife and I were there 3 different times in that period and really enjoyed the place.

I thought we would go back this fall for shopping, touristy things, daughter seeing old friends, (and for me, Bears-Bills NFL game).

What a nightmare this has turned into. I have all the arrangements made and found out about this DUI policy.

The daughter got a DUI in West Hollywood, 4 years ago. I'm told that if this turns up while clearing customs, we'll be turned away and forced to go back! I've spent the last couple days arguing with Canadians who can't seem to understand that I'm not dismissing the severity of OWI, but simply stating the fact that legally, this is over and done with (fines payed, classes attended, SR22 for 3 years, etc).

On top of that, I've had guys tell me that your fate is in the hands of minimum-wage border agents and you have to hope you don't get the one reveling in big-man/big woman syndrome. I'm told that there's one thing for sure, if you're pulled out of line, YOU ARE DONE FOR!

Anybody else dealt with this? Any suggestions? (other than, stay away from Canada)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 390

Re: Entering Canada with DUI

I know two guys in college who were going on a fishing trip and were turned back at the border, one for an assault charge (normal fight over a girl) and another, I can't remember what the charges were exactly but he took his car from an impound lot without paying the fees.

Would think with a DUI from years ago it may not even be on her record or show up as a significant enough crime to warrant the stopping her?

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 6

Had no idea, not sure if this is plausible

Canada

You can seek to have her deemed rehabilitated..

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 7

From what I have heard if there is any spec on you record you have a 99% chance of getting turned away.

Pro
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 0

Fly there. Problem solved.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Fly there. Problem solved.
    No

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Cross the border illegally. Problem Solved.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

My only thought on this situation..... **** CANADA, EHHHHHHH!!!!

Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 08-13-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My father in law had a similar story. Involved a fishing trip and several bottles of various alcohol. Long and short of it was, they left Des Moines in two vehicles with several coolers. To make things fit, coolers were re-arranged and he ended up with an exta bottle of something in his. Not realizing it, he diligenty reported what he thought they had at the crossing, they did a check and found the extra. From what I gathered, they weren't in excess of what was allowed - just had "lied". The other vehicle was there and they explained - but to no avail. The crossing guards pulled them into a garage and proceeded to rip the car apart.

They were then allowed to continue on for their trip (translated: spend their money in Canada) but were subsequently "banned" for a number of years.

That was like 30 years ago. To this day it still burns him. I think I heard the story a couple times, along with some choice adjectives, during all those "come visit British Columbia" ads during the winter olympics.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 808

Not on topic, but I was on a backpacking trip in high school with my church up to Bruce Peninsula in Ontario on Lake Huron, and we were at some national park. Turns out rattlesnakes are protected species (and you should not chop them in half) and chopping down trees for firewood is not permitted either.

I'm not sure if our youth pastor is allowed back in Canada yet!

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 81

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    My father in law had a similar story. Involved a fishing trip and several bottles of various alcohol. Long and short of it was, they left Des Moines in two vehicles with several coolers. To make things fit, coolers were re-arranged and he ended up with an exta bottle of something in his. Not realizing it, he diligenty reported what he thought they had at the crossing, they did a check and found the extra. From what I gathered, they weren't in excess of what was allowed - just had "lied". The other vehicle was there and they explained - but to no avail. The crossing guards pulled them into a garage and proceeded to rip the car apart.

They were then allowed to continue on for their trip (translated: spend their money in Canada) but were subsequently "banned" for a number of years.

That was like 30 years ago. To this day it still burns him. I think I heard the story a couple times, along with some choice adjectives, during all those "come visit British Columbia" ads during the winter olympics.

When I went to the Olympics in February, they wouldn't allow my group to bring donuts across the border. We were forced to buy "jelly's" at Tim Horton's.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 25

Granted it was before 9/11, however when we crossed they didnt even check anyone in the car with us except for the driver. They asked if we were bringing in anything illegal etc, but it was the quickest boarder crossing. Took all of 2 minutes entering through HWY 61 in Minnesota

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Here's the story:
    My daughter went to school in Toronto, 6 years ago. My wife and I were there 3 different times in that period and really enjoyed the place.

I thought we would go back this fall for shopping, touristy things, daughter seeing old friends, (and for me, Bears-Bills NFL game).

What a nightmare this has turned into. I have all the arrangements made and found out about this DUI policy.

The daughter got a DUI in West Hollywood, 4 years ago. I'm told that if this turns up while clearing customs, we'll be turned away and forced to go back! I've spent the last couple days arguing with Canadians who can't seem to understand that I'm not dismissing the severity of OWI, but simply stating the fact that legally, this is over and done with (fines payed, classes attended, SR22 for 3 years, etc).

On top of that, I've had guys tell me that your fate is in the hands of minimum-wage border agents and you have to hope you don't get the one reveling in big-man/big woman syndrome. I'm told that there's one thing for sure, if you're pulled out of line, YOU ARE DONE FOR!

Anybody else dealt with this? Any suggestions? (other than, stay away from Canada)

Did your daughter happen to get a deferred judgement? If so...you'll be allowed in.

I emailed this lady about the question at hand. If anyone thinks they may a problem at the border I suggest you contact her. She knows what is possible and what route you can take and will assist you. . Be honest and prepared to answer the questions at the border. They have a job to do and they would like to spend as little time with you as possible. However, they have all day if they feel something isn't right. The same goes for getting back into the U.S.A. Remember it was the U.S.A. that requires yo to have a Passport, not Canada.

.............................. the law of Canada is quite clear.

A deferred judgment = not a conviction....

so if your friend recieved this he should be ok to travel. He should carry a copy of this and only show it if questioned at the border.

Good luck

Lucy Perillo
    Canada Border Crossing Services
    Winnipeg, MB
    204-488-6350
    Fax 204-975-0394
    bordercrossing.ca

------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Prospect
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If the DUI was within five years then you have to apply (pay) for a temporary resident permit. Once you pass the five year mark you can apply (pay again) for deemed rehabilitation. Just to apply for the temporary resident permit is a huge pain in the butt, you have to supply a ridiculous amount of information (fbi records, state police records, etc.). That application process is supposed to take approximately six months, I applied back in March and have yet to hear back, they haven't even cashed the check yet. So basically if you were planning on going this year they likely won't let her in. Seems ridiculous to me that they'll turn down tourists that will only be there a week because of a DUI but it is what it is. This is all available out on the Canadian immigration website. Good Luck.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

I've crossed the border at International Falls at least 20 times and never had a problem.