Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 39

Running a 5K tomorrow; need advice

So tomorrow morning I run my first ever 5K. I'm not in GREAT shape, but over the last month have been running 3 1/2-5 miles about four or five times a week. This week, due to work and family emergencies, I haven't been able to run once. Last time I ran was Sunday. So, my question is, would it be more benefitial or detrimental for me to run tonight? The 5K is at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Plus it's sweltering hot in Indianapolis right now.

Any help? Or even general advice from runners?

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 33

Re: Running a 5K tomorrow; need advice

I wouldn't run tonight. Just have a good pasta dinner, plenty of water and get a good nights rest.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You've already put in some good work, more than most, I'd say, leading up to a 5k.

Take it easy on yourself tonight. Stretch it out big time tomorrow morning an hour prior to the race and shake out the kinks. Then run at your pace.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Run fast for 3.2, stop and rest.

Hope it went well! My wife now says shes going to run one of these sometime. I'm allfor it cause shes really taken getting in shape seriously as of late.

Ah, I thought past was yesterday and race was now. I still wouldn't run today. :)

Last edited by drmwevr08; 08-13-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

If you are dying to run then go out and run a quick paced short run. Maybe 1.5-2miles and then stretch really well.

My advice for race day is dont get too caught up in how fast everyone else is going. I tend to do this in races and I burn my self out early. Stick to your pace and focus on the finish. If you are running 3.5-5 mi four times a week then you should be more than fine and have no problem finishing. Obviously with the heat be sure to hydrate ALOT.

If you have a GPS or heart monitor I would try to stay close to what you normally train at for your pace through the first 2 miles at least. If you are feeling good at mile 2 then you could increase the pace a bit.

Good luck!!

ďItís beyond pride. Itís a restored trust. Thereís a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State ďitĒ factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the manís enthusiasm is genuine to the core...Ē
    Ė columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I actually use "The Killers" on my MP3 to keep my pace. All their songs on "Hot Fuzz" have the same beat, so I just keep to their rythm.

I'm never dying to go for a run. I hate running, but maybe a quick jog or walk outside tonight to acclimate to the heat. It was 85 outside by 7 am today.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzwf8O4ZCKk]YouTube - The Office- Season 4- Andy- Nipple Chaffing[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Prospect
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The eternal question of whether to run the night before is totally dependent on the person. Some people respond well, some don't. For me, due to the heat outside I would rest so that I'm not dehydrated tomorrow morning.

But, a 5k is such a short race, relatively, that it probably won't matter either way if you aren't really worried about your time.

I root forISU () and anyone playing the huskers ()

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My nipples are beyond chaffed now, they're calloused.

My biggest fear is that I haven't run a lot outside, it's beenm a lot on the treadmill because of the heat. If anything kills me, it will be that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 568

Just make sure to hydrate and you will be fine.

I was born in Indy and all of my extended family lives there! I love that city!

Highly recommend these btw: ZombieRunner Products -- NipGuards

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

If I were you, I would rest. Maybe stretch out a bit, or go for a easy 1.5 mile run or so if you feel like you REALLY need to.

You're going to finish. It's just a 5k.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

my son runs 5ks,10ks and mrathons and he is 40 years old.every night he runs 0 miles or rides a bicyle for a good distance with his wife. when they bicyle he pulls his 1 1/2 year old son behind the bike in a little cart.
    in many 5 k or 10 k's he has placed second and third in his age class 35-40.he has even done this pushing his son in a baby cart or in these new fangled carts.
    now here is something that is going to blow your mind.he enrolled in college with his buddies at a college in san antonio, there were 5 of them in that group.they all left together and joined the marines b4 they finished the semester.they all took (f's) in their coursework.they all went to camp pendleton for basic training. my boy thought he was cool and he learned how to do chewing tobacco and snuff. this kid turned to smoking
    after going thru the chew or snuff stage. the point i am trying to get at is he still smokes today and runs 5ks,10ks,and marathons. i do not know how he does it. this boy is an officer in the marines and he is a policeman in the mcallentx police force where is in charge of the IT DEPARTMENT AND STEALTH UNIT. he has been to serve our country in iraq 3x. now his marine unit which is based in san antonio is heading to afghanistan right after christmas... would you please pray for for son while he is in afghanistan and also please pray for his fellow marines.they will need every bit of prayer that you and god can deliver to them.
    GO CYCLONES!!!!!!!!
    ONE MORE THING:this boy finished his college with a degree in computers and management information systems and in finance-his undergraduate all college gpa was above 3.8. now he is halfway thru an MBA with a major in accounting.he has his pension from the police and marine locked up.his boy gets all of his college paid with my son's 23 years in the marine reserves. i think my son's goal is to become a cpa and certified planner when he get's back to the states after serving in afghanistan.this kid also has a b.s from schools that the marines have schooled him and that degree is in electronic engineering.

doc

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    My nipples are beyond chaffed now, they're calloused.

My biggest fear is that I haven't run a lot outside, it's beenm a lot on the treadmill because of the heat. If anything kills me, it will be that.
    That's what you think. Then you run the Dam to Dam and your white shirt is stained red from your bloody nips.

Good luck tomorrow. If you've been running anywhere near 5 miles, 3.2 will seem like a joke. You'll do just fine, assuming it's a morning race and you're not running in the heat of day. That could suck.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 08-13-2010 at 08:41 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    my son runs 5ks,10ks and mrathons and he is 40 years old.every night he runs 0 miles or rides a bicyle for a good distance with his wife. when they bicyle he pulls his 1 1/2 year old son behind the bike in a little cart.
    in many 5 k or 10 k's he has placed second and third in his age class 35-40.he has even done this pushing his son in a baby cart or in these new fangled carts.
    now here is something that is going to blow your mind.he enrolled in college with his buddies at a college in san antonio, there were 5 of them in that group.they all left together and joined the marines b4 they finished the semester.they all took (f's) in their coursework.they all went to camp pendleton for basic training. my boy thought he was cool and he learned how to do chewing tobacco and snuff. this kid turned to smoking
    after going thru the chew or snuff stage. the point i am trying to get at is he still smokes today and runs 5ks,10ks,and marathons. i do not know how he does it. this boy is an officer in the marines and he is a policeman in the mcallentx police force where is in charge of the IT DEPARTMENT AND STEALTH UNIT. he has been to serve our country in iraq 3x. now his marine unit which is based in san antonio is heading to afghanistan right after christmas... would you please pray for for son while he is in afghanistan and also please pray for his fellow marines.they will need every bit of prayer that you and god can deliver to them.
    GO CYCLONES!!!!!!!!
    ONE MORE THING:this boy finished his college with a degree in computers and management information systems and in finance-his undergraduate all college gpa was above 3.8. now he is halfway thru an MBA with a major in accounting.he has his pension from the police and marine locked up.his boy gets all of his college paid with my son's 23 years in the marine reserves. i think my son's goal is to become a cpa and certified planner when he get's back to the states after serving in afghanistan.this kid also has a b.s from schools that the marines have schooled him and that degree is in electronic engineering.
    This kid sounds like a badass. Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    GO CYCLONES!!!!!!!!

Woodie, to quote Papa Muntz, "don't go changing".

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.